cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deactivate a listing for a potential buyer

Does deactivating my listing for a buyer when I have multiple watchers effect my rating? Will I upset the other potential buyer by deactivating? I have 4 watching after posting last night. Thank you-

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

No you will not get a defect. As for how the watchers who knows how they will feel. Me i would just go to the next one.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Why deactivate the listing?

Can't the "Potential buyer"   just,  Buy?    

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Watchers are not always potential buyers.  Sometimes they are other sellers who want to see how much yours sells for because they have one like it and may possibly list it.

Is the buyer one who's actually made an offer? The decision as to whether to sell to that buyer is yours, not ours; however, if there is interest and the auction still has time to run, why not let it go for awhile?

Worrying about whether other "potential buyer" (if he is indeed that) has no play in the game. JMHO.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I don't understand what you mean by deactivating for a buyer.  You mean sell it? 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

No, you can sell to anyone you want. Do not end the listing and sell off  eBay to the buyer. You will get banned. Just make the buyer a offer, let the buyer make you an offer or the buyer can just buy it. Deactivating sounds like you want to end the listing and then sell it off eBay to the buyer. If that is what the buyer is suggesting, say no. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Slati,   That's what I was concerned about also.    "Deactivate"   the listing so the potential buyer can 

text the seller to make a deal.

If the buyer wants to buy,    He should just simply do so.   

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Just have the would be buyer buy or bid thru. the listing like everyone else. You may be being set up. Good Luck...............

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@jaci1551 

I would let the auction run on to the end.  You may get more $$$ than the high bidder is offering.  Make sure that your customer purchases the item thru and only thru the payment methods eBay sets up for buyers.  Any other way & you may be setting yourself up for a scam.  If they ask you to text, send it to another address & request your Paypal account to pay you, it's most definitely a scam.  Be careful.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Watchers will just get a 'No longer available' notification. They should have acted quicker. Sometimes people watch an item hoping for an offer from the seller. 

However, I would not 'deactivate'. If the buyer wants it. they need to buy it through eBay. Sounds like you're possibly being set up for a scam if they try to do the deal outside of eBay.  I'd actually BBL that buyer for even suggesting it. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Thanks she’s asking that I deactivate just until she’s paid on Friday and then I would reactivate to allow her to purchase. His is the second time a seller has requested that on a buy now item so wanted some expert feedback. I didn’t do it on the last one but this is an almost 300.00 sale. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@jaci1551 wrote:

Thanks she’s asking that I deactivate just until she’s paid on Friday and then I would reactivate to allow her to purchase. His is the second time a seller has requested that on a buy now item so wanted some expert feedback. I didn’t do it on the last one but this is an almost 300.00 sale. 

@jaci1551  Sounds like she wants you to reserve it.  I do that a lot of Posh but not here.

The watchers don't matter,  but I would be concerned because eBay is so paranoid about sales being taken off-site that they may hit you with final value fees just for deactivating the listing after getting a message simply to hold it.

ETA: I don't sense a scam here, but I agree with the others and would just let the listing run.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Can't the buyer do the buy it now today and wait till Friday to pay.

Sort of like,   I'll gladly pay you next Tuesday for a hamburger today.  

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@jaci1551 wrote:

I wouldn't do that.  What makes that buyer's money (or lack of) any better than the others that might buy prior to Friday?  If it's still there on Friday and they haven't cooled on the purchase by then, they can buy at that time. 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

She’s indicated she wants to buy but needs to wait until she gets paid on Friday. 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply