cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently being scammed on an SAE Cassette Deck Sale – Advice?

I believe I am currently being scammed.

My unit was originally listed as “SAE C102 Computer Direct-Line Professional Cassette Deck – New Belts and Idler” and ended on 2/25. The buyer contacts me well after my 14 return period on March 19, 2016 at 14:27 PDT to state that the cassette deck has issues and wants a refund. As this unit was fully tested and serviced twice prior to selling, I know the unit was perfect when I sold it as it was just serviced (twice). I am shocked and distraught – it is a $250 unit and I am not making ANY money on this. I always give the buyer the benefit of the doubt so on March 20, just minutes after seeing the return request, I did not delay and I send off a prepaid return label that Ebay strong arms me into paying for. Ebay keeps pushing that I can “give” the entire unit to the buyer for free to avoid this shipping fee penalty.

My item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-SAE-C102-Computer-Direct-Line-Professional-Cassette-Deck-/272141460424

Confused, I follow advice on this board about some of the scams buyers have. This buyer has listed a similar unit described as “Sound is smashing good operation is quiet” and which is also titled “SAE C102 Computer Direct-Line Cassette Deck – New Belts and Idler wheel” (he removed “Professional” and added “wheel” to his title) at 14:34:21 PDT – SEVEN MINUTES AFTER HE REQUESTED TO RETURN MY DECK. Something is not right.

Maybe he has many of these and this is another unit. I look at all of the pictures – IT IS MY UNIT AND SEVEN MINUTES AFTER TELLING EBAY THAT IT IS A BAD UNIT, HE IS LISTING IT AS PERFECT FOR $450. $200 dollars above what I sold it for.

He figuratively punched me in the face for trusting him and accepting a return.

If his unit sells at the over the top rate (now reduced to $375), either he will have leveraged me to make his profit or he will send me back a different, defective unit.

If his unit does not sell, he will have forced me to make an expensive (for me) loan of an expensive unit that he could not sell. I will have been slammed with shipping penalties and loss of a real sale so that he could attempt his sale. It will probably be returned in a non-working condition because that was the basis of his return. I should assume he would allow me to do the same to him (I am not holding my breath). I wonder how he would react if I did that to him in his audio business?

These are just some of the amazing exact same marks on this buyer’s unit that he is selling as is on the “defective” unit he has requested a return on. Ihave more pictures of the front and the right side - Ebay limits this post to four pictures however . . .

Top of unit:

Rubber foot mark from other audio equipment on left side of top is the same as on my unit

Rear:

Dent in the center of the top (rear) is the exact same as my unit

Unique Los Angeles electrical safety seal is the same as my unit

Damage to the Los Angeles electrical safety seal (scuff on left and right of seal) is exactly the same as my unit

Left Side of unit:

White mark on the top of the wood side panel is to the rear left of the screw, exactly as in my unit

Minor scratch on left side wood is exactly the same as my unit

Right Side of unit:

Marker line on the right side upper front screw hole is the same as on my unit

Decal residue on the rear of the right side is exactly the same as on my unit

Front of Unit:

White marks just above the “Ready” lettering is exactly the same marks as on my unit

EBay acknowledged (on a phone call) that they see that it is the same unit, but will not do anything. They want me to allow him to return the unit. They said I can call back after delivery if I have issues with the returned unit. Based on what I have read here in the forums, they usually side with the buyer. Translation – they will not do anything at this point even though they see what he is doing. His potential sale is a windfall for them.

What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Currently being scammed on an SAE Cassette Deck Sale – Advice?

I would call into ebay on this and have them look at the isting the person has up for sale does the item have a unique serial number and is it shown in both your pictures and in theirs in the listig? Also report the buer for abuse of the money back garauntee

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

yeah . . .  I pointed that out to Ebay, they said I need to allow him time to return the item.  It is an obvious abuse of the guarantee, yet they are making me continue with this charade.  What if another buyer wins the unit?  I am tempted to post out to the various Audiophile forums that this seller claims this is a defective unit as an SAE cassette would only be purchased by a buyer who browses the forums and would want to search out recent SAE articles/postings.

Sadly this buyer sells audio equipment here.  If he is scamming me, I bet if I look up his other items for sale, there will be recent sales (and sellers) that have had this same experience with his items for sale.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

There should be some more experienced posters come along soon to help. The only thing I can think to do is follow through with the return and if it's different than what you sent call ebay again and point out the seller's listing for your item. Dom't ever escalate the case to ebay though it will automatically rule in favor of buyer

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I would estimate 90+% of problems sales involve reseller. Nothing new in the eBay world about someone trying to flip an item, whole at the same time, hedging their bets with an SNAD. Worse will be if they sell the claimed "defective item" and continue forward with the NAD claim. This thread may be helpful.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/The-tyranny-of-ebay-s-predatory-resellers/m-p/24295941#M574913

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

There is also the possibility he will sell the unit and close the case.

In any event,  buckle up and enjoy the ride. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Plain and simple ebay doesn't care.  These scams are incresing because ebay allows it.  At least you got a similar tape deck returned to you.  I have received empty boxes back in the mail, or a brick, or a piece of wood.  This is a rampant scam.  Buyer's that purchase items with the intention of committing fraud.  Ebay refunds based on a tracking number for delivery.  It has never been more difficult to sell on ebay.  The fees continue to go up, and the buyers have free rein.  I think I'm done selling on ebay.  I have been scammed like this 3 times in the past 2 months.  My score is nearly 2000, and ebay could care less.  

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I thought I've seen the worst, but this one might take the cake. eBay has a responsibility and ability to end this charade, yet they continue to let it unfold, entirely at the sellers expense. It's a blatant misuse of eBay's contract with the client (you as seller) and I've go to be honest, the OP might actually have the legal wherewithal to fill a claim against eBay should they (and inevitably will) rule against you. OP will lose with eBay's governing hand, but rest assured, this is not a case that would stand in court and would clearly rule against eBay. This is absolutely terrible. I truly cannot believe that eBay continues to let this carry on in this case. Wow. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

And if it's the current listing that I think it is, based on the info you provided, I see a lot of other vintage electronic gear in the photos. This has all the evidence of being a scam, if so. How eBay doesn't see that, is beyond me. It's a blatant misuse of their platform. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I totally understand how unfair your situation is!!

There appears to be no good resolution for you.... The only thing I can think of to tell you, is that as a seller, he must play by the same rules. If he sells that same unit, and say YOU are the buyer, and you find it is "Defective", he would have to go thru what you are going thru, if you catch my drift Smiley Wink

I wish there was someway to get Ebay to understand what is going on here, but from what others have said before, probably not..... 

I guess it is up to you, if you want to play this "Game" with him, or let it go. I don't think I would be able to do a **bleep**-for-tat like that, but you may be able to. It looks like electronics selling on Ebay tends to end badly way too often

Spoiler
Smiley Embarassed
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

i feel your pain i had that happen to me also and was told to pay shipping back or let them keep the so called damaged turntable in my case the buyer sent the turntable back and kept the cartridge ebay needs to change some of thair policies i agree the buyer is protected what about the seller if we the sellers didnt post anything for sale there would be no ebay.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@5763victor

The OP will not see your post. It was two years ago.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply