cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creepy

Had a guy hound me to sell him an item I had up for auction which already had bids. He offered me triple what the current bid was. Told him I couldn't cuz it already had bids and was against Ebay TOS. Guy kept messaging me how I could do it without Ebay finding out. Tried ignoring hoping he would get a       clue and leave me alone. Kept on messaging. Blocked him from bidding so he got all bent and asked why I did that. I didn't owe him an answer so I ignored him. Now he's messaging asking what did he do to me to make me block him. Well, duh, he was asking me to go against TOS.  How can I get this guy to leave me alone? He is creeping me out.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Creepy

@thallidguy wrote:

There used to be a link in the message interface for reporting abuse of eBay's message system. I wonder where it went?

This also could be used for reporting.

"if you feel that a buyer has violated eBay policies, let us know."

Report a buyer

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6

View Best Answer in original post

Message 24 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Creepy

Ignore.

Delete.

Ignore.

Delete.

Second verse...same as the first.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

Just keep on ignoring him, he will eventually tire if his 'game' and move on.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

Do you see any dragons? No? We'll have to imagine dragons, then.

Thunder. Lightning. Thunder. Lightning. Lightning. Lightning. Thunder. 

Lightning. Thunder. Tomatoes. Lightning. Lightning. Cucumbers. Thunder.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

There is a setting in your Site Preferences to block messages from those on your block list.  It is kind of hidden but is in your Buyer Requirements. Here is the link with the how-to’s to access these requirements:

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

When setting your Buyer Requirements, it is the last requirement in the list. Scroll down the page til you see “Don’t allow members on my block list to contact me.” Enable this choice and save it to apply it to your account. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

If it had been my auction, i wouldnt have blocked him but instead invited him to bid and take his chances. I totally understand your frustration tho. Unfortunately dealing with the general public can be a challenge. Good luck and hope this helps.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

I'm pretty sure that the block doesn't work if communications have already started.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

@partial*eclipse wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the block doesn't work if communications have already started.

I believe you're correct.  One of my accounts has such a creep from about a year ago.  I never answer, blocked him long ago but he'll still message every few months...takes all kinds...

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

@missyj1 wrote:

Had a guy hound me to sell him an item I had up for auction which already had bids. He offered me triple what the current bid was. Told him I couldn't cuz it already had bids and was against Ebay TOS. Guy kept messaging me how I could do it without Ebay finding out. Tried ignoring hoping he would get a       clue and leave me alone. Kept on messaging. Blocked him from bidding so he got all bent and asked why I did that. I didn't owe him an answer so I ignored him. Now he's messaging asking what did he do to me to make me block him. Well, duh, he was asking me to go against TOS.  How can I get this guy to leave me alone? He is creeping me out.

You showed a lot of restraint to never answer but you did everything right!  Ignore and block.  If it makes you feel better do like I have and create a file in your messages for anything "threatening or odd" and always file his messages there.  Eventually these nuts run out of steam.  Hang in there.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

Granted, I can't read the messages you received, but someone offering me more money wouldn't necessarily get blocked.  I would have some hope they might run the bidding up for me.  As far as suggesting doing something like sell outside of the rules, I can ignore that easily enough.

I seldom block anyone anymore since it seems to just anger people who can then simply open up other IDs. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

@fern*wood wrote:

I seldom block anyone anymore since it seems to just anger people who can then simply open up other IDs. 

What's up with that? Ebay can see they are the same person because they have the same paypal account, or the same address. Ebay isn't helping us here when they easily could. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

@missyj1  I blocked two bidders on an auction (after cancelling their bids) once based on info from another Member and my own research with other Sellers they had purchased from (but never paid) ... one of them started to message me ... I NEVER read a single message from them.  I just checked the Delete box in messaging and moved on.  After a day or two it stopped.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

The greater % of bidders or buyers you have dealings with are  pleasent to deal with--your listing just  happen to have attracted one of the less desirable types.

Delete messages-block

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

What's up with that? Ebay can see they are the same person because they have the same paypal account, or the same address. Ebay isn't helping us here when they easily could. 

I hear ya...I used to block people regularly when I had hunch, read something, get an email, etc etc.   That was back when I thought ebay would take care of any issue with said blocked person, and all their IDS, but after learning that intent to harm has to be proven, my feelings changed.  I have no desire to fight that battle, nor having an anger member that may have been blocked unnecessarily on top of that. 

I will still block if I have a personal bad experience on a transaction, but otherwise, I don't.   I think intent might be hard to prove otherwise in most cases.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

Every time he emails you, eat some chocolate. And ignore. You'll feel way better and will stop getting bent out of shape about it.
Crazies will be Crazies.
(Substitute chocolate with anything else that works for you: a drink, a candy, a coffee, a laugh, or a power walk)
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Creepy

. He offered me triple what the current bid was. Told him I couldn't cuz it already had bids and was against Ebay TOS. Guy kept - missyj unquote ------------------

What does he want so badly ? sorry ,, but now I'm burning with curiosity .  Oh btw ,, I agree with the others ,, keep ignorning him . Tulips

Message 15 of 24
latest reply