cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Courtesy Post re Message from Ebay about Gemstones etc.

Ebay's 'bots with their Auto No Reply gobbledy (can't use the word that goes here in context but you know what it is, it will be bleeped otherwise) messages are at it again. I wish they would spend as much time policing fraudulent buyers (or ANY time) as they do drafting these convoluted messages about nothing. The item in question was properly listed in the Fine Jewelry category. I just gave up and listed it in fashion. No big deal. Not looking for a solution. Just posting for info and amusement. Here is the message:

Your listing didn't follow our Listings must have clear and consistent information in the title, item specifics and description. Listings must have clear and consistent information in the title, item specifics, and description.

What activity didn't follow the policy

We are glad to have you on eBay, however; your jewelry/jewellery item does not appear to be genuine. Please understand that sellers can list Gemstone jewelry/jewellery on the site by mentioning the exact creation method or treatment of the gemstone in all parts of the listing including title, item specifics and description. Various creation methods/treatments are :
1.Natural
2.Treated
3.Lab-created
4.Simulated
5.Unknown - If it's unknown, then you should consider having the gemstone certified. In addition to this, when an item is plated or filled metal. Sellers must also indicate that metal is plated or filled in the title and provide Base Metal in the item specifics. Also, sellers must list their jewelry/jewellery item in most appropriate category.
You can relist your item by keeping the above points in consideration and by mentioning the exact creation method of the gemstone in all parts of the listing (title, item specifics and description) making it clear and consistent throughout.

What you need to do next

What is the policy

- Ensure your item descriptions and photos are accurate, clear, and unambiguous, and include information about the materials, grading, and quality of the item
- If the gemstone is lab-created, simulated or treated, clearly state this in the title
- If the mineral composition of the gemstone is not the same as the natural gemstone, then clearly state the actual material in the title, item specifics, and description (such as "rhinestone" or "glass")
- If the gemstone is not an actual diamond, do not use the term "diamond." Instead, describe the material used, such as moissanite or cubic zirconia
- If you do not know if the gemstone has been enhanced or treated, whether it is lab-created or simulated, or the grade of the gem, then you should consider having it certified. You will need to list within the Fashion Jewelry category and in the Main Stone field, select Unknown

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Courtesy Post re Message from Ebay about Gemstones etc.

"It's not fake anything. It's real Dynel."  - Advertisement for wigs in the 1970s.80b3826c8472b6dc9acef2353763fdec.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Sounds like the problem's solved then.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

- If you do not know if the gemstone has been enhanced or treated, whether it is lab-created or simulated, or the grade of the gem, then you should consider having it certified. You will need to list within the Fashion Jewelry category and in the Main Stone field, select Unknown

@allen1853

Ebay changed the "jewelry" policies again recently.  Might now find some "hidden (gem) bargains" in the Fashion jewelry category.....like those with "unknown" grading of the stones in a 14K bracelet.  If ebay penalizes sellers, they will just sell someplace else rather than have the stones tested in their $30 sterling silver earrings by a GIA expert to determine if they were 'enhanced'.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Seems pretty clear to me.

If you know and can show that the gemstone is genuine, list it in Fine Jewelry.

If you do not  know or cannot show that the gem is genuine, list it in Fashion Jewelry.

If you know and can show that the metal is genuine and not plated, list it in Fine Jewelry.

If you do not  know or cannot show that the metal is genuine, list it in Fashion Jewelry.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Exactly. Like most things with eBay these days, it makes no sense. The knuckleheads and robots are in charge. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

From the post: "Not looking for a solution. Just posting for info and amusement." Thank you for playing our game. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

"Genuine" is not the issue. If it was it would be easy. But eBay has created a morass of definitions and qualifcations for "Genuine". 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

"It's not fake anything. It's real Dynel."  - Advertisement for wigs in the 1970s.80b3826c8472b6dc9acef2353763fdec.jpg

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Seems pretty clear to me. If you know and can show that the gemstone is genuine, list it in Fine Jewelry.

If you do not  know or cannot show that the gem is genuine, list it in Fashion Jewelry.

@reallynicestamps   

.....says the "expert" that sells post cards.   No disrespect intended, but even if you have  a $2K gem tester, it  cannot distinguish between natural found in the ground or lab created stones.  They both have the same molecular properties.  They are genuine stones as opposed to glass.  Not good enough for eBay. 

In the industry "fashion jewelry" typically refers to new jewelry akin to the wears found on the racks in Wally World.  Vintage "costume jewelry" can command higher prices than some gold or sterling. 

It was not that long ago that the eBay category people insisted (incorrectly) that ANY jewelry that had ANY sort of gold or silver content should be listed in the FINE category.  Gold filled, silver plated, etc. were supposed to be listed in FINE even though it was not.   Now we have the same (ill informed) deciding something else????  

I would list my 1940s designer signed sterling bracelet with green stones on Mercari before I would pay for a GIA appraisal to determine if the green stones were "enhanced" so I was not forced to use the 'junk jewelry' category on eBay. 

Though I will re-check....I don't even think the new Jewelry "vertical" authentication accepts jewelry with stones at all at this point.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Sounds like those undetectable lab created stones will soon drive the real gems out of the market, just as cultured pearls destroyed the value of natural pearls.

It was not that long ago that the eBay category people insisted (incorrectly) that ANY jewelry that had ANY sort of gold or silver content should be listed in the FINE category. Gold filled, silver plated, etc. were supposed to be listed in FINE even though it was not.

I'm still shocked that they allow terms like "German silver" or "Tibetan silver" to be used at all considering those are basically just pot metal.

And "gold-filled" is misleading from the get-go. At least most people have some understanding of how plating works.
EBay changing categories around is nothing new. I sell stamps, sewing patterns , books, and ,yes, right now I have  a nice postcard estate to list, but the changes back and forth and up the backstairs down to the cludgie, are innumerable.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply