cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this be the reason for slow sales?

I don't think I've ever seen so many sellers complaining about slow sales as I have in the last couple months. Anybody who has been selling for even a few years can see it.  Why is it happening? Well, there may be a legitimate reason for it.

Perhaps if you're a larger seller, you may have noticed an unusual number of nightly slow/shut downs by eBay, where sales completely turn off until the next morning. Several Youtubers have mentioned it. I personally have noticed the same pattern in two of my larger stores where nightly sales have fallen by the wayside. 

Could this be part of eBay's "improved" Promoted Listings "tool"? After all, we have watched this "tool" morph into what I like to call a gladiator arena, where sellers now have to fight each other to stay alive. In fact, it would be naïve to think that eBay isn't aware of the fact that when sales are "unusually slow" for an extended period of time, sellers will try to bid up their visibility against their competitors with PLS or now with PLA. I'm not saying that they are doing this on purpose in order to get more sellers on board with PL. However, what I will say is that eBay has made a great effort to NOT be transparent about all the glitches, shut downs and slow sales. No emails, no explanations, no effort, no concern. That is what concerns me as a 24-yr seller. Yet, what we do receive from eBay is an extensive marketing campaign aimed at sellers in an effort to convince them that these are beneficial "tools" or "assets" for sellers.  Are sellers really that stupid? 

Remember when individual sellers were the lifeblood of eBay? It's what made eBay so unique.  Sadly, eBay is now just another marketplace that happens to have the same name as they did 28-yrs ago. 

Message 1 of 167
latest reply
166 REPLIES 166

Re: Could this be the reason for slow sales?

Algorithm is the new process of elimination on eBay the platform

Message 136 of 167
latest reply

To Feebay execs, sellers are just tools to help acquire their Villas and mansions. May I suggest a 100% promo rate?

Message 137 of 167
latest reply

Manipulated algorithms to force higher and higher promo rates. Just like fascists, Feebay hates the truth.

Message 138 of 167
latest reply

I for one will be glad when they close this post off from further comments and archive it. There are 135 responses that go in every direction possible and it has become impossible to follow. There are at least 1,000 posts on the exact same subject. 

Message 139 of 167
latest reply

Your response is understandable, but struck me as kind of harsh. People sitting at home, posting their little hearts out, hoping for sales because they like the merchandise they are selling or wouldn't have bought it, just are seeking answers to INCREASE their sales. Like everyone else on the planet, the sellers need to earn $$$. No one would do this for FUN, as it's hard work-- Sellers need to vent sometimes, when frustrated. I have been on eBay as a seller for the past 20 years & I have been thru good & bad times in terms of the economy, pandemic, etc. I still get frustrated & rattled when it's slow--& wish I had a fellow seller to commiserate with sometimes. Right now I have over 200 listings & crickets. I know it will change,  & patience is a virtue. I do agree that people have less disposable cash-unless you are an elite & usually they are whirling about in brand name venues & don't need to find deals & bargains on any board. We are now living in a two tier society, very ultra rich, like those in Monaco with cars worth a million dollars, or people who can afford to shop Rodeo Drive, Worth avenue, El Paseo in my area--& who think nothing of buying a shirt that is average looking for $500 or more or sport shoes for $l800 or more.  The rest of the world buys on eBay & other online stores, so there is mega competition for all of us.  Brick n Mortar retail has already died everywhere for many reasons, theft being one of them. There is no magic wand. For you, don't read here if it annoys you-or develop a sense of compassion for your fellow sellers, who might be struggling to put food on the table....We are fortunate to have eBay as a source--for our shopping & for selling. Gratitude....I love the opportunity eBay offers us, even when times are tough...

Message 140 of 167
latest reply

This has been the worst summer on our record.Today sales were $6.50, two days ago was nearly $1000.00 ( due to high dollar die cast  auctions ending)... nearly $300.00  yesterday for basic hobby stuff.. I just ended many Promoted Listings last night due to no interest so why promote...so no sales I guess today for me..this seems to happen a lot anymore (at least one day a week drops to nearly nothing).This has never happened to us ever other than this year. Im starting a website again due to these PL fees. I can make $6.50 a day I sure on my own site again and not have to deal with this fight for sales...

Message 141 of 167
latest reply

STILL no TV Advertising!

This is a place to Buy Rare cool stuff!

Well no.

TV - broadcast or cable appeals to the elderly - 45-75 up.

Watch your shows and note what products are being peddled. Because TV is not selling products it is selling eyeballs - you- the consumer - to the advertising companies.

And while eBay was the big collectible site at the turn of the millennium, the economy has changed and now it is a place to buy socks or new bedlinens.

Not Shirley Temple dolls or Fiestaware.

Message 142 of 167
latest reply

@sfiv360 wrote:

I never shopped at Temu, but it looks like another Dhgate? A platform for sellers to sell counterfeit and cheap Chinese goods. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Temu is just Wish on steroids, and right now they're losing money hand over fist to make an inroad into the ecommerce market.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 143 of 167
latest reply

A very good analysis, but I think there are many other contributing factors. The consumer for example is ever changing,  what they wanted yesterday is not what they want today.  another factor to consider is the consumer getting "stretched"  financially?  Ebay itself is contributing to the problem with the decisions they make to both buyers and sellers.  True there seems to be an absolute endless supply of things to sell, in a very competitive market place.  Ebay in their structure is throwing everything they can out in front of buyers, hoping something will sell as they are desperate fore revenue.  Their legal problems and subsequent law suits have cost millions and definitely consumer confidence, and it is just getting started. As an investor we have been contacted about a share-holder lawsuit regarding the miss  management  which has had a dramatic effect on share value.  All of these issues that numerous of you have raised is but a contributing factor as we head in a down or certainly an uncertain economy to say anything about stupid politicians.

As far as some of you noting format changes I think some is a result of what servers you may be accessing.

Message 144 of 167
latest reply

One thing I have noticed lately, is the number of "listings eligible to send offers" is way down. I usually average close to 100 listings I can send offers to, however, the past week I barely have 30. The search engine is horrific. Items come up that have nothing to do with the words I input into my searches. 

Message 145 of 167
latest reply

Your response is understandable, but struck me as kind of harsh. People sitting at home, posting their little hearts out, hoping for sales because they like the merchandise they are selling or wouldn't have bought it, just are seeking answers to INCREASE their sales. Like everyone else on the planet, the sellers need to earn $$$. No one would do this for FUN, as it's hard work-- Sellers need to vent sometimes, when frustrated. I have been on eBay as a seller for the past 20 years & I have been thru good & bad times in terms of the economy, pandemic, etc. I still get frustrated & rattled when it's slow--& wish I had a fellow seller to commiserate with sometimes. Right now I have over 200 listings & crickets. I know it will change,  & patience is a virtue. I do agree that people have less disposable cash-unless you are an elite & usually they are whirling about in brand name venues & don't need to find deals & bargains on any board. We are now living in a two tier society, very ultra rich, like those in Monaco with cars worth a million dollars, or people who can afford to shop Rodeo Drive, Worth avenue, El Paseo in my area--& who think nothing of buying a shirt that is average looking for $500 or more or sport shoes for $l800 or more.  The rest of the world buys on eBay & other online stores, so there is mega competition for all of us.  Brick n Mortar retail has already died everywhere for many reasons, theft being one of them. There is no magic wand. For you, don't read here if it annoys you-or develop a sense of compassion for your fellow sellers, who might be struggling to put food on the table....We are fortunate to have eBay as a source--for our shopping & for selling. Gratitude....I love the opportunity eBay offers us, even when times are tough...

I have no problem with the postings but at some point sellers should start their own postings or create a new one rather than continually piggy backing onto an existing post taking it off in a direction that bears no resemblance to the original post. 

Message 146 of 167
latest reply

I think ebay is trying to do this on purpose, to get sellers to start PL or upbid their rates.  I 100% believe this is one of their strategies.

Message 147 of 167
latest reply

The "I found it on Ebay" ads were extremely on point and successful.

You wonder why they don't advertise for buyers nowadays.  They really are not concerned with increasing buyers, much less retaining buyers.

I believe they are too wrapped up figuring out new ways to make more money installing new ways to pit sellers against each other and laughing at all of us behind our backs.  The rest of the time is figuring out different ways to antagonize, penalize and be as adversarial as possible with sellers.

Message 148 of 167
latest reply

I believe the reason is if you're not in PL Advanced your listings aren't seen at all because ebay is deliberately sinking them in search results. PL Standard doesn't cut it anymore unless you type in the 50% they want of what you make. 

And unless you're willing to give it to them, you're condemned to failure here.

These millennials that are in charge now, they are not real people: they are hybrids of fashionistas+CEOs that perorate on a stage in an auditorium full of idiots+snakes.

Message 149 of 167
latest reply

My husband is my sounding board when I get nervous about my sales. But, this happens at certain times of the year. The fear subsides around Christmas. Then I start all over again. LOL!!!!

Message 150 of 167
latest reply