cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Leaving eBay. Should I?

I'm a periodic seller, averaging around $5,000 - $7,000 a year in sales. By no means anything significant for eBay ($500-$700 for them).

I normally sell comic books. And when I do sell, my number one priority is to get the book to the buyer in the exact condition they bought it in. 

So, I pack very well. Not excessive, but well enough that I can rest easy that it will arrive with no issues. I also make it a point to ship as quickly as possible, sometimes within an hour of receiving payment. 

Recently a buyer left me negative feedback because the postage amount was about $6. I charged $12 for shipping. Unfortunately many buyers don't seem to realize that shipping materials are not free. In my case, the USPS padded envelop and bubble wrap. 

This person had two different transactions with me at different times. The total postage he paid was $29. I paid $26 and change to get the two separate shipments out. So I refunded him every penny that made up the difference. And that was before he left negative feedback. This was right after I shipped. 

But yet I received negative feedback. 

So I called eBay. No help.

So I talked to a supervisor. Not only was this person no help, they were super smug. Their tone almost laughing at me. Like I was fighting an impossible battle. 

What is the point in being a seller if we sellers have no backup? No one to come to our defense. Nobody who will look at the facts objectively. And we can't leave buyers anything but positive feedback. 

I've been a member since '06, and I think it's time to call it quits. These two transactions dropped me from 100% to 97.7%. 

What do you think? Stay or hang up the skates?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Considering Leaving eBay. Should I?

Not if you pack it properly.  I use boxes for everything I ship and in no case does any of it ever move or "bang around."

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Probably felt the same way as I do now, LOL. But can’t remember that far back. 

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@hairsto2 wrote:

Looks like I need to go hunting for different/cheaper material. 

Absolutely!  The post office supplies are intended for people who are shipping one item for the first time in maybe a year and have arrived at the post office completely unprepared.

You're a seller. There is absolutely no sense in getting your supplies at the post office!

You can get them cheap :

1. on eBay

2. at Sams or Costco

3. a Staples or Office Depot

4. Even at Dollar Tree

anywhere but the post office!    And you need to buy more than just what you need for one single shipment at a time.   

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Also, you have an eBay store. I'm not sure what kind of store it is but if you have a subscription, you are probably entitled to $25 free shipping supplies per quarter.  Just go to MANAGE MY STORE and look for your discount coupon.   Free s/h on bubble mailers, tissue, boxes, non padded mailers, tape, labels, all sorts of stuff.

you just browse the eBay shipping supplies store, make your selection and enter your $25 coupon code when you go to pay.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Hi, getting a neg can sting. On top of that, it can be hard when one’s sense of fairness has been frustrated.  Still, I vote for staying because the overwhelming majority of your buyers really appreciate your efforts. 

Most buyers are savvy enough to know the occasional neg is sometimes unavoidable. I wouldn't be thrown by the experience because you have a proven track record.

However, there is a point to make here. This is your second neg received with buyers unhappy over how much they paid in shipping versus the actual cost of shipping shown on the package. If you were using eBay labels, you could opt to hide the postage price, which i recommend to do. You might also consider rolling your costs into the overall price and offering free shipping or reduced shipping. Then there are no hard feelings over that cost. It is a win/win.

I guarantee that your buyer also had an outraged sense of fairness when he compared his paid cost to your postage shown on the package. Buyers often are unaware of the additional expense of packaging materials, gas to drive to the PO, etc. They are only looking at the postage.

One last suggestion, choose your responses carefully when leaving a remark below a neg or neutral feedback rating. Being defensive, blaming the buyer, calling a buyer a name, all these do nothing but make the seller look bad. To whom should the remark be addressed?

Future buyers.

A well worded response to unhappy sentiments can neutralize the poor rating on the spot. It is the time to show your highest degree of professionalism—be you an occasional seller or large big box vendor. Future buyers want to know that, should a problem arise, it will be handled well. This is how to take the sting out of a negative, turning a bad situation into a positive. 

Best wishes to you whatever you decide. Hope you will stay! You are an asset to the eBay community. 

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Buyers often are unaware of the additional expense of packaging materials, gas to drive to the PO, etc. They are only looking at the postage.

Karma! The OP left a neg for a seller for that exact reason (gas to the post office)!

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Change all your listings to free shipping.  Include the cost of postage and shipping supplies in the price of the item.  The customer will either buy the product at that price or not.  You will never have this problem again.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Now that’s a great idea. Thank you!

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

I don't blame you for dumping Ebay.  Twice I tried to buy from them, and their so-called buddies (PAYPAL) to handle finances told me to stuff it.  I guess paypal wanted me to get their card...Never happen.  So if you don't have paypal, they will refuse your card even when they say they accept Visa, MasterCard, and others.  They do NOT.  Only their own.  Even when I contacted Ebay customer service, they said nothing we can do, they handle our payments.  Call them...  I say, screw you Ebay, no business from me and Paypal can stuff it where the sun don't shine...

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I'm so sorry you got a negative, but don't let it get you down.  I don't think this matter indicates you need to leave eBay.

eBay will tell you that the negative is the buyer's opinion and most likely will not remove it.  

You mention looking at the fact objectively.  Yet most here have said that your shipping charge was high.  It's very possible you would get the same reaction from Ebay.  

You mention you can't leave negative feedback for a buyer.  That's why eBay removed that ability~sellers would post a negative on the buyer in response to their negative.

The only one whose opinion matters on your question is you, and only you can answer it.   

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Since it is very difficult to fight ignorance, I would consider rolling in all of your costs into one price and offer free shipping. (or very low shipping). There is little benefit on Ebay to separate out price from shipping anyway.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

You go where you need to go , Be it here or there !! But I could SHIP a TANK for the amount of shipping you charge !! If the items you sell can't make you money don't rely on exaggerated shipping charges to do it for you . I personally wouldn't purchase a item from you . And with shipping prices like that I am surprised anyone does.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply