cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complaint about signature confirmation?

Hello, I just sold my ps4 to a buyer that has over 1500 feedback. I shipped the item by Fedex with adult signature confirmation required, for my protection, and per ebay policy. I informed the seller, and he is now is upset and cleaims that  he works late and will miss shipment and wants to cancel sale. The item already shipped out. I've never had this happen before, what should I do??

Thanks 

Angela

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Complaint about signature confirmation?

@chrysylys wrote:

My main issue with Orange/Purple and Brown is that I have absolutely NO idea when they will arrive.  It could be anywhere between 9AM and 9PM  .... literally.  I've had both arrive at both ends of that range.  There is NO consistency at all.

I have about 5 acres, much of which is down a slope from the road and blocked by trees, shrubs and buildings.  I cannot see or hear trucks arriving when I'm out there doing yard work. 

I bought a small wireless alert system which has helped tremedously in alerting me when someone has pulled into my driveway. It consists of a small battery powered transmitter that you install somwhere that traffic would break the beam and an indoor receiver that emits a sound when it receives the signal. I was very inexpensive, less than $20 and has a surprisingly long range, about a 100 feet in my experience ... maybe longer.

I get some false positives occasionally, a bird, the wind, a deer wandering across the beam, but it can be shut off & silenced inside in those circumstances if desired.

Now I meet my daughters at the door when they visit, before they even ring the doorbell. They think I'm psychic.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 16 of 34
latest reply

@newview wrote:

It consists of a small battery powered transmitter that you install somwhere that traffic would break the beam and an indoor receiver that emits a sound when it receives the signal. I was very inexpensive, less than $20 and has a surprisingly long range, about a 100 feet in my experience ... maybe longer..

I'm aware of driveway alerts, but how would that help me when I'm 6 - 700 feet away, down a steep slope running a riding mower or other yard machine?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 17 of 34
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@newview wrote:

It consists of a small battery powered transmitter that you install somwhere that traffic would break the beam and an indoor receiver that emits a sound when it receives the signal. I was very inexpensive, less than $20 and has a surprisingly long range, about a 100 feet in my experience ... maybe longer..

I'm aware of driveway alerts, but how would that help me when I'm 6 - 700 feet away, down a steep slope running a riding mower or other yard machine?

Well ... the receiver will work on your belt or the cup holder of your lawn mower as well as attached to a wall inside the house. The one I have has two sound levels ... fairly loud & REALLY loud.

Sorry if this doesn't help ... it was just a suggestion.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 18 of 34
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@jewel-nb wrote:

I shipped the item by Fedex with adult signature confirmation required,

Last two packages that were sent to me that way were returned by the carrier, undelivered.  Both the sender and the carrier were given quite the earful also. 

Why are you yelling at the carrier? It wasn't their fault that the seller shipped it with Signature Confirmation.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

@jewel-nb wrote:

Did the policy change? Because it used to be any item over $250 ebay required signature confirmation.

I believe it was $500.00 before they raised it to $750.00.

Seller can require  it for lesser amounts if they are so inclined, but mentioning it in the description lets the buyer know that upfront. 

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

The requirement for a signature for seller protection went straight from $250 to $750  for both Paypal and eBay though they didn't do it at the same time.

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

Our fedex drivers are known to toss and run without ringing the bell so you never know when you have a package.  If signature required, they knock and run without waiting for you to answer. I would yell at him myself if I could ever ever catch him and my front door is about 40 feet from the street.

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

The item is being delivered today, and on the tracking site there is an e-sign if you won't be home, and the fedex site says you can leave a note and signature on the door and if the driver deems it safe, they will leave the package. I understand that it's a little inconvenient, as I've had items shipped that way, but I really don't think it's that big of a deal. I've never had a problem with a buyer before, but I don't want to deal with a possibly stolen or non-delivered item. I haven't heard back from him, but if he's that mad, I'd rather he just return or let it bounce back to me and I can resell it. Next time I'll be sure to put it in the ad.

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

Oh, it sounds like some of you live in very rural areas, so I can understand being upset, but the address of the seller was an apartment building, that's another reason I was concerned about theft. Thanks for all the advice. Ebay sure is changing.:)
Message 24 of 34
latest reply

I understand that it's a little inconvenient, as I've had items shipped that way, but I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

The problem with this thinking is that you aren't the one who decides what is a big deal or not for the buyer.

Whether the buyer is rural or city, apartment or single family home, only the buyer knows if it is convenient or not.  If I were in a large apartment building I would not want to leave a signed note on my door notifying everyone and anyone passing by that a package worthy of signature was due and would be left at my door. 

At my rural location I would not want to leave a note stuck to a door that the delivery person might not even find.  Or might get blown away.  Or eaten by bears.  And then I would have to drive almost 100 miles to the nearest FedEx office.

Nope. 

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

Also, some apartment buildings have secure areas for receiving and keeping packages. I used to live in a building where all packages were left with the dry cleaner on the ground floor. They stayed open until 6 or 7, so you could stop by after work.

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

You do realize, don't you, that as long as you have a Delivered scan, you are covered by Seller Protection? So even if a porch pirate grabs the package, you would win an Item Not Received dispute. The driver scans as Delivered when he leaves the package, not when the buyer physically takes possession.

Justify it however you will, the fact is that Sig Conf in this case was entirely unnecessary. It cost you extra money and all it did was tick off your buyer.

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some buyers indeed do get ticked off about signature confirmation. 

Reminds me of a case years ago when I was a new seller.   The buyer actually threatened to give negative feedback about the signature confirmation.  

Here's what happened.  I processed a Priority Mail Express label, but eBay's default selection is "Signature Required".    I suppose since Signature Confirmation is free with Express Mail, eBay sets it up that way.  Or eBay thinks if a person deems a package important enough to pay extra for Express, the recipient would likely be available to sign for the important package.

Anyway, I got lucky.  The buyer was understanding when I apologized for the inconvenience, and explained honestly what happened - the fact that eBay shipping labels automatically pre-selects Signature Required for Express Mail.  

He left positive feedback.  But ever since that Express Mail / Signature Confirmation incident, I NEVER send anything with Signature Required.  I have to double-check to make sure I uncheck the Signature Confirmation box when I'm printing an Express Mail label.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

OP

You did the right thing.

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

@precious--metals wrote:

signature confirmation you need to place in your description so the buyer knows 

One reason to do this might be to have the buyer think "hmm, maybe I should have it shipped to my office". 

I did ship a book to an office once and DC said it was delivered but they claimed not, and I didn't have signature confirmation. Amazon informed me I was out of luck, and took the money out of my account to refund the buyer.

Message 30 of 34
latest reply