cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

@jcailte wrote:

"We are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience," he wrote. "The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens."

I'm a buyer.

Maybe I'm 'small potatoes' compared to some, but I think 650 purchases spread over 12 years indicates I know what I'm doing and I know what I like. I don't sell, this is entirely a one-sided view. Since the quote cited above expresses particular interest in the 'buying experience,' I'll give you mine.

Dear Ebay:

I do NOT use a mobile phone for ebay auctions. You know why? Because the screens are too small and I can't see the detailed item description. So why would you take the most annoying feature of the mobile platform and force it on those of us who have already declined to use the mobile platform...?

I PREFER the larger screen available on a laptop or large tablet, complete with the full, DETAILED listing that reputable sellers thoughtfully provide. You know why? Because that's the closest I can get to the experience of being in a brick-and-morter store. Many sellers go the extra mile to give full descriptions, describe damage or wear-and-tear, give exact specifications, measurements, brand name or whatever, plus photos from multiple angles. Those are the sellers I trust.

Now.... What has this new "improvement" (Note the SARCASM) done to 'improve my experience as a buyer?'

1) Before I realized I was forced into a Beta-test situation without my knowledge or consent, it caused me to erroneously click away from several jewelry listings by new-to-me sellers, because I thought they were too lazy to put up the full description. (Many sellers are, and I avoid them.)

--> No shopping means no possible "buying experience" at all.

2) Once I went to a power seller whose listings I check twice/weekly and whom I know to be very honest and dependable, and I noticed his detailed listings were missing ... then I experienced CONFUSION and distress (because I thought he'd stopped doing the detailed listings).

--> Does being confused and distressed sound like an "improvement" to my buying experience?

3) Finally I recognized there is a blue hyperlink poorly located to the left side of the page instructing me to take the extra step of clicking to see what was previously available. This is ANNOYING, having to take an extra step that wasn't there before.

--> Now you have an annoyed buyer. Is this an "improvement" of said buyer's experience?

4) I clicked to open a pop-up and discovered the window itself is about 50% smaller, which is bad enough. It's wider than it is high, which forces me to begin scrolling (and that's even more IRRITATING). But wait, it gets better. (Which is to say, worse.) The top 50% of the already reduced-in-size pop-up window is filled up with a useless banner telling me the name of the seller's store. Now I'm just plain **bleep** because you're treating me like I'm an idiot who doesn't know whose store I've entered.

--> Now you've succeeded in irritating and pissing off a buyer as with your effort to "improve the buying experience."

5) The information I need, when making a decision whether or not to commit my money for a bid, is further obscurred in a tiny, impractical window that forces me to scroll line-by-line. I can't get a sense of anything, I can't see the pictures. I DECIDE NOT TO BUY.

--> You lost a sale. Is that the "improved experience" you were looking for? My wallet thanks you. (The seller probably doesn't.)

This was Friday, the 13th.

6) Today, Tuesday the 17th, it's five days later. I went through my favorite seller's listings again, once again forced to keep clicking, scrolling, squinting and struggling to make sense of the teeny tiny window you've shoved down my throat. Now I'm freaking ENRAGED.

--> Well there you go, you've "improved" my experience to the point of fury. You really think a furious buyer is going to spend money?

7) Let me repeat in loud words so you understand my perspective as a BUYER:

I USE A LAPTOP FOR A REASON!  That reason is, I WANT TO SEE WHAT I'M BUYING.

For all those honest sellers who go to the trouble of making complete, detailed listings, I thank you for your efforts. Unfortunately, unless ebay stops this idiocy immediately, I won't be buying. I don't have the patience to go through this **bleep** over and over.

To recap:

Missed sales opportunity

Confusion, distress

Annoyed

Irritated and insulted

Decide not to buy

Continued frustration building to fury

A decision to buy elsewhere from now on

=Permanently lost buyer

There, ebay, is feedback from a BUYER'S perspective. Thanks to this 'test,' my "buying experience" has been terrible to the point of increasing my blood pressure and making me refrain from buying anything. If this "improvement" is permanent, so will my absense be.

Signed,

A very **bleep** off BUYER.

Exactly how I feel!  I specifically DO NOT WANT the "buyer experience" of using a mobile device -- which is awful! -- and that is why I always use a desktop PC with a monitor.  To subject buyers to the far less than optimal presentation of tiny screens and unreadable text is ludicrous!  It is especially bad for seniors and the disabled who have issues with fine motor skills and eyesight.  As a buyer, I will go elsewhere, too!

~~C~~ 

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 661 of 1,018
latest reply

@jcailte wrote:

"We are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience," he wrote. "The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens."

I'm a buyer.

Maybe I'm 'small potatoes' compared to some, but I think 650 purchases spread over 12 years indicates I know what I'm doing and I know what I like. I don't sell, this is entirely a one-sided view. Since the quote cited above expresses particular interest in the 'buying experience,' I'll give you mine.

Dear Ebay:

I do NOT use a mobile phone for ebay auctions. You know why? Because the screens are too small and I can't see the detailed item description. So why would you take the most annoying feature of the mobile platform and force it on those of us who have already declined to use the mobile platform...?

I PREFER the larger screen available on a laptop or large tablet, complete with the full, DETAILED listing that reputable sellers thoughtfully provide. You know why? Because that's the closest I can get to the experience of being in a brick-and-morter store. Many sellers go the extra mile to give full descriptions, describe damage or wear-and-tear, give exact specifications, measurements, brand name or whatever, plus photos from multiple angles. Those are the sellers I trust.

Now.... What has this new "improvement" (Note the SARCASM) done to 'improve my experience as a buyer?'

1) Before I realized I was forced into a Beta-test situation without my knowledge or consent, it caused me to erroneously click away from several jewelry listings by new-to-me sellers, because I thought they were too lazy to put up the full description. (Many sellers are, and I avoid them.)

--> No shopping means no possible "buying experience" at all.

2) Once I went to a power seller whose listings I check twice/weekly and whom I know to be very honest and dependable, and I noticed his detailed listings were missing ... then I experienced CONFUSION and distress (because I thought he'd stopped doing the detailed listings).

--> Does being confused and distressed sound like an "improvement" to my buying experience?

3) Finally I recognized there is a blue hyperlink poorly located to the left side of the page instructing me to take the extra step of clicking to see what was previously available. This is ANNOYING, having to take an extra step that wasn't there before.

--> Now you have an annoyed buyer. Is this an "improvement" of said buyer's experience?

4) I clicked to open a pop-up and discovered the window itself is about 50% smaller, which is bad enough. It's wider than it is high, which forces me to begin scrolling (and that's even more IRRITATING). But wait, it gets better. (Which is to say, worse.) The top 50% of the already reduced-in-size pop-up window is filled up with a useless banner telling me the name of the seller's store. Now I'm just plain **bleep** because you're treating me like I'm an idiot who doesn't know whose store I've entered.

--> Now you've succeeded in irritating and pissing off a buyer as with your effort to "improve the buying experience."

5) The information I need, when making a decision whether or not to commit my money for a bid, is further obscurred in a tiny, impractical window that forces me to scroll line-by-line. I can't get a sense of anything, I can't see the pictures. I DECIDE NOT TO BUY.

--> You lost a sale. Is that the "improved experience" you were looking for? My wallet thanks you. (The seller probably doesn't.)

This was Friday, the 13th.

6) Today, Tuesday the 17th, it's five days later. I went through my favorite seller's listings again, once again forced to keep clicking, scrolling, squinting and struggling to make sense of the teeny tiny window you've shoved down my throat. Now I'm freaking ENRAGED.

--> Well there you go, you've "improved" my experience to the point of fury. You really think a furious buyer is going to spend money?

7) Let me repeat in loud words so you understand my perspective as a BUYER:

I USE A LAPTOP FOR A REASON!  That reason is, I WANT TO SEE WHAT I'M BUYING.

For all those honest sellers who go to the trouble of making complete, detailed listings, I thank you for your efforts. Unfortunately, unless ebay stops this idiocy immediately, I won't be buying. I don't have the patience to go through this **bleep** over and over.

To recap:

Missed sales opportunity

Confusion, distress

Annoyed

Irritated and insulted

Decide not to buy

Continued frustration building to fury

A decision to buy elsewhere from now on

=Permanently lost buyer

There, ebay, is feedback from a BUYER'S perspective. Thanks to this 'test,' my "buying experience" has been terrible to the point of increasing my blood pressure and making me refrain from buying anything. If this "improvement" is permanent, so will my absense be.

Signed,

A very **bleep** off BUYER.

BRAVO! BRAVO!  This is NOT JUST A SELLER'S ISSUE!  More and More Buyers have come to this community forum and discovered what is going on and are sharing their mutual uhappiness!   EBAY:  Get a Clue!  Nobody wants a "Mobile Device" experience on their PCs and Desktops!  And what in the world would make you think they would!???
Message 662 of 1,018
latest reply

@neetmok wrote:

I have been selling on eBay for 15 years.   I am a Top-Rated Silver Powerseller.    Without question, the idea of hiding Item Descriptions behind a button is the worst and most potentially devastating "innovation" I have ever seen implemented on eBay.  

Speaking as a seller, this unwelcome change puts my listings on an undeserved footing with sellers who provide no description at all.    But worse, it strips me of my ability to sell my items in the most effective way possible.

Good sellers know that an informative, eye-catching item description is vital to sales.   Scrolling down the page to see an item description is the virtual equivalent of strolling into a store showroom.   By impeding access to that showroom -- by forcing buyers to click an extra button and view the description in a pop-up box -- you send the message to potential buyers, "You're not really wanted here."   

Of course, that's presuming they click on the button at all.   Most probably won't.   It's easier to back out of a listing than it is to click an extra button.    Casual browsing on eBay -- and the sales which result from it -- will evaporate in the face of this change. 

A couple years ago eBay implemented "Best Match" out of a concern that buyers were having to work too hard to find the items they wanted.   It seems entirely counter-intuitive to now ask them to work even harder just to SEE descriptions of the items they want once they have found them.

My Item Descriptions sell my items.   Period.   My experience and expertise lead me to conclude that this new practice of hiding the Item Description behind a button will severely diminish my sales and quickly put me out of business.  

Looking at this as a longtime buyer, I want to continue to enjoy the ease of simply moving down the page to get all the information I want.   I don't want to click an extra button.   I don't want to wait even an extra second to view the item through a pop-up box.    I want the information and photos displayed in front of me as soon as I click on the listing in Search Results -- just as they always have been.   Anything that gets in the way of that -- even if it's just an extra click -- is an imposition on my time and patience.

I don't know who is making these changes at eBay, or what their qualifications are.    But I would propose that before any change is implemented, or even tested, it must be approved by a committee of eBay sellers who depend on eBay sales to pay their mortgage, feed their families, etc.    Only then would I feel reasonably assured that someone was looking out for my interests as a seller.   Because right now, in the face of this terrible, terrible change to how Item Descriptions are displayed, I feel very alone, unimportant, and extremely worried about my future.   It's an awful way to feel after 15 years of working so hard to succeed on this site.

I got my first message  from potential buyer tonight asking for condition and measurements of item I had listed.  I was HORRIFIED!  How many others have clicked on this  listing and others of mine and just thought I was either too lazy to give a description or trying to hide something and moved on? 

Message 663 of 1,018
latest reply

@antique.cottage wrote:

@cinco_swim wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
How convenient there's no weakly chat this week (and yes wekow it's only becausegriff has jury duty etc etc and after all there's onlyjeff &griff to host the chats these days).

I'm afraid regardless of the weekly chat being cancelled, we would be most probably be offered no additional information other then what Jeff has already provided earlier in this thread. I like others find it quite alarming and insulting that eBay would undertake such a "test" that has undoubtedly affected many sales negatively and possibly caused confusion on a buyers part due to lack of  description being readily apparent, and not even think to let sellers know of this, only to "uncover" it for themselves.

I personally think and feel it speaks volumes as to what eBays current culture and attitude towards their sellers stand. After the last year and all of the challenges from the eBay Hack, Spring and Fall updates and drastic changes to policy,  the google debacle, eBay/Paypal split announcement, CEO change of guards......just to name A FEW .........one might have hoped that 2015 would start out with a more positive attitude from eBay towards their sellers. It is apparent nothing has changed on that front and we will still be treated as the "noise" we are believed to be..........Smiley Sad  I think that should tell us everything we need to know for those that were counting on some "hope & change"...........

Quite honestly cinco, think about it.  Would you rather have ebay:

1.  issue a test that may or may not be implement depending upon test results; or

2. Roll something out as a permanent change without first testing.   

I personally hate the "feature" and hope they don't keep it.   But eBAY is  well within their right to test before implementing.  

Why do so many feel so empowered/rightous to be demanding/expecting that eBAY must ask permission before testing?  We do not own the company.   WE DO NOT PAY THEIR SALARIES.

The insults everyone throws here is really disturbing.  

Sorry, I'm back, and you've said this several times and I just have to ask:  WHO DO YOU THINK DOES PAY THEIR SALARIES?    This is an e-commerce site that makes its money from taking a percentage of sales $$ from the seller's sales and by charging fees to use the site... and don't get me wrong.  This is all fine with me.  I don't expect to get all the services ebay gives me as a seller for nothing.   And, please, no more baloney about how small sellers don't pay their salaries, because, you know what?  It all goes into the same pot.  And if  you don't understand that, then YOU are the one who doesn't understand how businesses are run.

Message 664 of 1,018
latest reply

100% BS!!!

It's rude...to sellers and buyers. Could lead to undeserved negative feedback!

eBay NEEDS a competitor!!!

Message 665 of 1,018
latest reply

My main concern is the lack of a description in the earlier days of the test - may have been noticed by less than honorable buyers - who will but items to use and then claim SNAD. Hopefully, I'm not part of that situation as I've sold very little since the test was implemented. Now I know Jeff says that CS has been notified about situations that may result from the testing - but many of us know how unsuccessful we sellers have been in the past - getting CS to remove feedback, DSRs or close cases in our favor when the item "is as described". What makes this situation any different - we are still going to spend hours on the phone with CS if presented with SNAD claims and I'm sorry - I think it will be a lost cause just like normal SNAD claims where items are truely as described.

Message 666 of 1,018
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

My main concern is the lack of a description in the earlier days of the test - may have been noticed by less than honorable buyers - who will but items to use and then claim SNAD. Hopefully, I'm not part of that situation as I've sold very little since the test was implemented. Now I know Jeff says that CS has been notified about situations that may result from the testing - but many of us know how unsuccessful we sellers have been in the past - getting CS to remove feedback, DSRs or close cases in our favor when the item "is as described". What makes this situation any different - we are still going to spend hours on the phone with CS if presented with SNAD claims and I'm sorry - I think it will be a lost cause just like normal SNAD claims where items are truely as described.

Also keep in mind, we happen to know about the test. What about the scores of people who have been "opted in" and have absolutely nary a clue about what is going on. Does anyone here really believe a seller who has a SNAD case opened up on them as a result of the description being hidden is going to receive any help with said case?  What, are we to believe they should expect a call from a CS agent telling them that this is potentially not their fault??  Not buying it, it's utterly absurd!

Would also love to know is this test site wide globally? Only certain countries? Only the U.S. based sellers? How was the test group chosen and why? Randomly?

Message 667 of 1,018
latest reply

""We are currently conducting a temporary test that is focused on simplifying and improving the buying experience," he wrote. "The experience you are seeing is how all buyers are currently accessing item descriptions when they use our mobile apps. We are exploring buyer experiences when the buying process is consistent across all devices and screens."
".... Would you rather have ebay:
1. issue a test that may or may not be implement depending upon test results; or
2. Roll something out as a permanent change without first testing.

... But eBAY is well within their right to test before implementing. "

First, exercising a right, isn't the same as being right. But that's only one layer here. Look at tye quote at the top. I understand it's attributed to Jeff. Or is it eBay? Or is Jeff eBay? And who's uncle IS 'Griff'? And would YOU want either of these as YOUR juror?

Anyway, the first 'goal' (and I guess we can assume it's on some eBay operational goal chart somewhere, right?) seems to be a focus on simplifying (thus) improving buyer experience.

So the first question is, how does adding an EXTRA step for the buyer to take, provided without explanation or clear instruction, 'blind test' notwithstanding, equate to a more SIMPLE experience? Isn't the reason they opened the listing in the first place, to SEE all the 'details'. (NOTE to software engneers who believe everyone thinks like they do; the button is NOT labled intuitively).

But that's just the second layer.

Now apparently buyers currently using mobile aps must select a view description button, right? So that's how the ap was designed? Hmmmm...seems like 'simple' might have been the goal for the coders, not the users. More on that in a moment...it's at the core. More layers to get through...

They claim to be 'exploring'. Nothing wrong with that. Unless one blindly hacks through the jungle with buldozers, disregarding the elements of the surrounding ecosystem in the quest to transform it. That's the 'disruption' part of all this 'innovation' sought, but you know, it's been done before. So it's all in HOW one proceeds. Paving paradise and all that...layer three.

More to this one though, because it is claimed to be tied to a desire for 'consistency'. So there's a couple questions that relate too. If consistency is a concern, then how does eBay explain a growth plan that has resulted in a site perfrmance that has been everything BUT consistent? Just when one has retooled to 'adapt', someone trying to justify their job rearranges the furniture. SOMEtimes it is announced as a planned improvement. Too MANY times it just becomes apparent only after a chunk of residents have banged their shins open.

And do I need to detail the absurdly incosistent nature of eBay customer service support? Would it be unreasonable to expect that eBay look to homoginize THESE aspects f their operations if consistence actually WAS a corporate goal? Because what you might take for 'nasty' is more often a hue and cry against this hypocricy.

But consider the 'test' itself. Different options, SIMULTANEOUSLY available to the SAME USER, dependent on random enabling qualities of uncontrolled combinations of server, hardware, software AND TIME OF DAY? I worked in configuration management for a few years. It's like trying to solve Newton's three body motion equation with an abacus and chalkboard with all these variables. And consistency is the first thing erased. So isn't it reasonable to ask, WTH?

Sure, eBay has the 'right' to ignore that. They also have the 'right' to only open their portals one hour a week at 2am. Neither makes good business sence though.

So, settng that onion to the side for a moment, lets ask the question; what would we rather have? Untested, or tested functionality? Fair question, but not deep enough to penetrate these layers. It's missing an alternate choice. One that ACTUALLY CONSIDERS the needs of the 'customer', no matter how one defines 'customer'. One cannot dictate those needs. One must LEARN what they are. Accordingly, eBay SHOULD seek opinion BEFORE defining a solution. And THEN testing it. A simple question, thus:

'We are considering adding this functionality to the site because... Tell us what you think. We solicit constructive suggestion to help achieve (these) goals.' So, i'd pick 'c'. If it were included, as it should be. Because if one seeks to be 'innovative', 'improving experiences', and providing some 'consistency', that's a better way.

And i would even go so far as to submit that someone might constructvely suggest that, instead of a button that adds complexity to an already overcomplex process here (address THOSE in the next 'enhancement why dontcha?) why not spend some of that gazillion bucks in your paypal account on software engineering that takes a seller's description and AUTOMATICALLY OPTIMIZES IT FOR MOBILE DEVICE? Seemless, simple consistency. That can be 'tested' in controlled environment BEFORE being unleashed un-introduced, if that's the desire. Though I know a test of any warning system that is unannounced as such isn't done for a reason. Ever since that unfortunate "war of the worlds episode..." Anyway, THAT would be 'innovative'. Cuz nobody does that in eCommerce yet.

I think that kind of an approach would make for a much sweeter onion, as long as we must be force fed. And cheaper to harvest in the long run. WithOUT killing off the natives in the process.

-------- All truths are easy to understand once discovered. The point is to discover them. - - Galileo
-------- Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - - Mark Twain
Message 668 of 1,018
latest reply

It is so NOT SMART of eBay to do this.  Must buyers don't even see that tab   - We painstakingly put the detailed description, measurements, etc.  Then the buyer wants to return the item because they don't understand what they bought.  Then eBay tells them to ask the seller for FREE return shipping.  They've created a total disaster with this.  Maybe because eBay is so desperate for sales - They are trying anything.

Message 669 of 1,018
latest reply

First, exercising a right, isn't the same as being right. But that's only one layer here. Look at tye quote at the top. I understand it's attributed to Jeff. Or is it eBay? Or is Jeff eBay? And who's uncle IS 'Griff'? And would YOU want either of these as YOUR juror?

Well, Grief would just say 'The seller did it' and Jeff would tell tell the judge to 'Call CS' for the verdict.

And the judge would laugh when he called 10 times and got 10 different answers to the same question.

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 671 of 1,018
latest reply

All the Sellers involved in this ridiculous unannounced experiment in hiding our descriptions should be compensated for lost revenue or at the least refund our Listing Fees for this "Test".

This "Test" is just another obstacle that eBay throws in our path to distract us from the real deal of why our items no longer sell and why many Buyers just stop coming to eBay.

Sellers pay eBay a Listing Fee and many Sellers pay Store Rent. What is the point of composing a Description only to hide it from the Buyer? The Buyers think that we are to lazy or dishonest to write a detailed description. Who would buy an item without seeing a description? I cannot think of a single reason other than to continue taking our listing fees and deceive the Sellers that out items are actually being shown.

This has to be the dumbest idea ever! (besides creating ecommerce's favorite new word...DEFECT)

Why not hide our Photos also, that would save lots of server space. As it is, eBay still doesn't know how to handle our 7" photos. Click the Button to see an image of this product? Why not just "Hide" our Stores as well?

I have a great idea how to save server space. Eliminate all the stupid, annoying Big Box Banner Ads that clutter our pages. How about eliminating all the competing ads that guide buyers away from our items. I remember seeing ads a few years ago showing me where I can buy the same item cheaper at Home Depot, Staples or some other store down the road etc.

eBay if you really want to increase the Buying/Selling experience and increase eBay's Bottom Line, instead of alienating both Buyers and Sellers try letting our items become visible!

eBay needs to compensate all the Sellers for lost business from this unwanted Test.

Message 672 of 1,018
latest reply

Jeff, I had a chance to review last week’s chat and I saw where in response to a question about disputing INAD defects you responded to the questioner that the best approach was preventative –  robust, full item descriptions.  I’m sure you’re simply relaying internal best practices, but from a seller’s perspective how does that square with the current test where descriptions are being made more difficult access?

Isn’t that taking away (or reducing) what sellers are told by ebay is their best tool to prevent INAD disputes?  It seems to me that the advice offered to sellers, which is quite reasonable, is in direct conflict with considered actions by ebay.  If transactions that don’t produce defects are the key to keeping more customers on the site and the item description is the key to avoiding INAD defects, then how does it make sense to reduce the opportunity for buyers to read the description?

Message 673 of 1,018
latest reply

Get the feeling that this test is the "look over here" bait for something worse? The little hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just imagining that. Buyers click on a listing SPECIFICALLY to see more. By taking that away or making it difficult to find would make one wonder why they would do this......remember nowhere in recent (since 2008) history, has e ay done anything truly good for a seller in the US. Hold on.........

"WE have you "protected"..."
Message 674 of 1,018
latest reply

This will be the second image on new listings I create.

Message 675 of 1,018
latest reply