cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

Has anyone seen this new layout for listings? I have a button on my last listing called 'click button to view entire description'.

There is a completely blank screen unless one clicks that button. There is NO description of the item for sale until you click this button and then the description opens in a separate window.

What is this all about - an I in a test group?

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: Click to view entire descripton??? What the heck???

@jeff wrote:

@tree*fern wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@tree*fern wrote:

It has been brought up at least once in the Weekly Chat, long before February.   Once should have been enough. 

September 24, 2014, including a link to a board thread about the issue: 

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Mobile-Team-Septe...

September 24, 2014, another post provided links to 5 threads on the Bidding & Buying board about this issue:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Mobile-Team-Septe...

So, only one Weekly Chat, not every week for a year? Is that the revised accusation?

The Mobile team was on that Chat, so they're aware of the issue. I didn't recall it. I don't know what else to tell you. I don't recall every post from every Chat, especially a chat that happened almost five months ago. I'll send a reminder to the Mobile team about this issue.

"Revised accusation"  ?  What are you talking about?   I hope you're not directing that remark to me.  I'm not the person who said it was in every weekly chat.

The original accusation was that the issue had "been brought up in every Weekly Chat for about a year now", but your response was that "It has been brought up at least once in the Weekly Chat, long before February." It's a moving target. I am responding to the accusation that it had been brought up every week for the past year. My response is that that accusation is 100% false. If someone can prove me wrong, please do.

The accusation that it was brought up in September appears to be true. I've never said that accusation wasn't true, though, so I'm not sure how that factors into this conversation.

Jeff,  my post was not an "accusation," and shouldn't have been misconstrued as an "accusation."   

My opinion and observation: Not everyone is out to get you. 

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 316 of 1,018
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Which STILL hasn't been fixedbtw

False. That issue was resolved on Wednesday, February 4.

Message 317 of 1,018
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:
Jeff, in a nutshell: what is the problem that this test revision is attempting to solve?

We want to improve and simplify the overall buying experience. This test replicates on the main site how buyers are currently viewing descriptions on mobile apps today. The goal is to have a consistent experience across all devices and screens.

Message 318 of 1,018
latest reply

@tree*fern wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@tree*fern wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@tree*fern wrote:

It has been brought up at least once in the Weekly Chat, long before February.   Once should have been enough. 

September 24, 2014, another post provided links to 5 threads on the Bidding & Buying board about this issue:

So, only one Weekly Chat, not every week for a year? Is that the revised accusation?

The Mobile team was on that Chat, so they're aware of the issue. I didn't recall it. I don't know what else to tell you. I don't recall every post from every Chat, especially a chat that happened almost five months ago. I'll send a reminder to the Mobile team about this issue.

"Revised accusation"  ?  What are you talking about?   I hope you're not directing that remark to me.  I'm not the person who said it was in every weekly chat.

The original accusation was that the issue had "been brought up in every Weekly Chat for about a year now", but your response was that "It has been brought up at least once in the Weekly Chat, long before February." It's a moving target. I am responding to the accusation that it had been brought up every week for the past year. My response is that that accusation is 100% false. If someone can prove me wrong, please do.

The accusation that it was brought up in September appears to be true. I've never said that accusation wasn't true, though, so I'm not sure how that factors into this conversation.

Jeff,  my post was not an "accusation," and shouldn't have been misconstrued as an "accusation."   

My opinion and observation: Not everyone is out to get you. 

OK. Didn't know you were changing the subject from the conversation you were replying to. My mistake.

Message 319 of 1,018
latest reply

Jeff - this is not directed at you - but the mobile team - after the weekly chat - should have reported their discussion to the mobile team manager. A responsible manager would have asked for progress on a weekly if not daily basis on the problem. Maybe Ebay is management is letting people go for a reason. HR is not hiring qualified individuals who keep on top of the problems. There is no reason that you should have to remind them of an ongoing problem that was reported 5 months ago. And if these boards are monitored as you have said in the past - those monitors should have relaid that the problem still exists.

It seems the monitors have a different objective than actually reporting problems that all boards are a buzz about - whether it be glitches or recommendations that would make Ebay a better buying and selling experience.

Message 320 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

How do they know it will negatively impact sales until they test? If it turns out to be negative, we'll drop the feature.

Jeff, if someone at ebay suggested that they test a description with multi-colored fonts with font sizes randomly varying within each word and cute GIFs of dancing bears between each word, would ebay test the suggestion?

After all, ebay couldn't actually KNOW whether it would negatively impact sales until they test it, right?

My point is, BEFORE any test is conducted, shouldn't there be a clear reason to believe that there's a good chance it will have a positive impact?

What is it about : "Let's hide the description, make the buyer click a special button to see it, and then let's reveal it in a pop-up that requires extra scrolling to see the description?" that would make any reasonable person say : "By gosh, THAT should improve sales?"

If we had a legitimate reason to believe that those features would increase sales, sure, we'd test it. Personally, I don't think it would and I doubt anyone else would either, so I don't think you'll see that one any time soon.

However, we do have a "click to see description" functionality live on our apps. They've been live for a long time and conversion through mobile apps has been very successful (you can see some of our mobile results at http://www.ebayinc.com/sites/default/files/MP%20Factsheet%20Q4%202014.pdf ). This functionality on the mobile apps does not appear to be an obstacle for buyers, so it's possible that it may not be an obstacle for buyers on the full version. We'll know that for sure when the test is complete.

That link shows the stats for sales only.

Where are the stats for returns, and more importantly, the stats for returns for something bought using the ebay app and the mobile ebay page?

Personally, i only use the classic site the few times I want to research something from my phone.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@jeff wrote:

How do they know it will negatively impact sales until they test? If it turns out to be negative, we'll drop the feature.

Jeff, if someone at ebay suggested that they test a description with multi-colored fonts with font sizes randomly varying within each word and cute GIFs of dancing bears between each word, would ebay test the suggestion?

After all, ebay couldn't actually KNOW whether it would negatively impact sales until they test it, right?

My point is, BEFORE any test is conducted, shouldn't there be a clear reason to believe that there's a good chance it will have a positive impact?

What is it about : "Let's hide the description, make the buyer click a special button to see it, and then let's reveal it in a pop-up that requires extra scrolling to see the description?" that would make any reasonable person say : "By gosh, THAT should improve sales?"

If we had a legitimate reason to believe that those features would increase sales, sure, we'd test it. Personally, I don't think it would and I doubt anyone else would either, so I don't think you'll see that one any time soon.

However, we do have a "click to see description" functionality live on our apps. They've been live for a long time and conversion through mobile apps has been very successful (you can see some of our mobile results at http://www.ebayinc.com/sites/default/files/MP%20Factsheet%20Q4%202014.pdf ). This functionality on the mobile apps does not appear to be an obstacle for buyers, so it's possible that it may not be an obstacle for buyers on the full version. We'll know that for sure when the test is complete.

That link shows the stats for sales only.

Where are the stats for returns, and more importantly, the stats for returns for something bought using the ebay app and the mobile ebay page?

Personally, i only use the classic site the few times I want to research something from my phone.

I don't think we've released that information. If you want it, you can contact eBay Investor Relations to request it.

Message 322 of 1,018
latest reply

Thank you, tunicaslot.

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 323 of 1,018
latest reply

Not an obstacle? 

OK, let me see if I have this right. The reason for the description button on the Mobile device is because of the limited screen size of a smart phone. I get that. ebay's Mobile design team is working within the limitations of the screen. So, it's not an obstacle on a phone because it is expressly designed to accomodate those limitations. Mobile buyers who also use PCs adapted to the phone's button because it makes obvious sense on the smart phone. In fact, it's more convenient for the buyer than the alternative.

The fact that Mobile buyers can use it on the Smart Phone but also use their PCs indicates that they are capable of recognizing the two different modalities and can adapt from one to the other.

No such size limitation exist on the PC. 

But ebay is going to take something expressly designed to work within the inherent limitations of a smart phone's small screen , and apply it to a device which is not subject to any such limitation. This despite the fact that Mobile buyers do not appear to have any trouble switching between the two devices as they are now designed. ebay is in effect imposing a non-existing limitation on PCs for no reason other than it might not be a total obstacle to conversion.

So, ebay is under the impression that the reason conversions are higher on smart phones is that buyers on smart phones must click the description button? 

Wouldn't it seem like there are many more persuasive reasons than that?

Message 324 of 1,018
latest reply

I think I understand now. Ebay is testing for two weeks, which just happen to be right 

when our customers get back their income tax returns, and is usually the best sales 

time of the year.

And then they will compare the best 2 weeks of the year, to other months that have been 

really bad.......

Seems the test "timing" was  done on purpose so the results will be what they want them to 

be.

Will you be comparing the next two weeks to the 2 weeks at the same tax return time 

as last year?

Why wait 2 weeks.... Everyone knows the change sucks NOW!

Message 325 of 1,018
latest reply

@jeff wrote:

@tree*fern wrote:

@jeff wrote:

@tree*fern wrote:

JUST FIX THE FREAKING PROBLEM.....and worry less about your image here and defending some  position over your percieved "accusation".  You are employed by ebay to help us out, and all you want to do is play tiddly winks over who said what and when and how and what did i mean...i didn.t mean that....  blah blah blah.

You know about the problem.. you have known about it.....your "team" is asleep because it is not fixed.

Just do the professional thing here and say.......

WE WILL FIX IT BY THIS SUCH AND SUCH DATE............

Is that too much to ask,.......or  will the practice of ebay being obtuse  to the real problem at hand continue?

Message 326 of 1,018
latest reply

Jeff, my buyer and seller account is in this beta.  From what i found out this has been going on for a month and has 2 weeks to go.

How do you think it is fair that i should take a financial hit for the entire test while others dont have to expeiriance this loss of revenue like myself.

I started seeing lots of listings as a buyer without descriptions for the past 2 weeks now.  I did not discover this until today.

I can imagine what potential buyers are thinking of me as a seller and what is happening to me as a seller right at this moment.

1.  Buyer thinks i am lazy not putting in a description.  Potential future business loss and loss incurring right now because of it.

2.  Buyer writes to me asking about things that are in description, i think buyer just isn't reading the description, i tell them to read description. 

Buyer thinks i am a jerk and does not bid or buy item.  Potential future business loss and loss incurring right now because of it.

3.  I do all this work setting up my terms and my detailed description only to have it hidden. 

4.  I have had 3 buyers tell me they did not know they were in a test until i told them and this is just today.  They also have not bought from these sellers who have a hidden description and have passed over items with what they think is no description.  How do you expect them to know this without telling them????

5.  No notice to buyers on this Beta,  they have no clue as to push this link to see a description, it took me 2 weeks to notice.  They may never notice and then beta is done.  Buyers will think less of me as a seller.

6.  As a seller i did not know ALL my items were in a test until i looked at my items as a buyer.  No notice to sellers.  Is that because your team KNEW this was going to cost them financially?  How did you choose which sellers would incure a financial loss?

7. Because now that my reputation is being tarnished that it appears i dont put in item descriptions and because i KNOW this is costing me financialy, i would like to know how i will be compensated for the loss of revenue this is costing me right now??

This is good feedback. You should copy it into the message box you'll see when you click on the "tell us what you think" link so the team running this test can read it.

By the way, some of your points seem to indicate that "it took you 2 weeks to notice" the test or that your buyers didn't notice until today. The test started last night.

Actually Jeff, this test started a couple of weeks ago, it is over month long test, my buyer account has been in for a while and still is, i have seen a lot of listings with the no descript lately, supposedly its a 2 week rotation on sellers.  The testing ends on the 24th, I dont know how long my seller account has been in this test since no one will tell me.

I was told about this testing by 3 reps at ebay, all said the same on this starting back in January, and a supervisor also verified.  THe new test rotation started recently, but i dont know when.  I have been seeing this no description for longer than just today, and i blamed the sellers.  Never realizing my listings were the same.

I want to make another point, if your trying to test for your results, how can you conduct a legitimate test when the people being tested have no clue there in this test and are thinking the opposite, that a seller is not putting in a description?  That there lazy?    You have a title, and you have the quick descript at the top for flaws, then a blank listing, so buyer moves on thinking that is it, and most likely does this for the entire time there in the test.  In this test you have one listing that is normal, and then one that has no description. not normal, how many do you think are going to notice that?. 

So lets say i had to rely on the results of this test to impliment this to my superior, i could take the low volume of negative results and claim that i didnt have many negative feedbacks about this test. 

But then again, i may not have told my superior how difficult it is to even know that your in this test at all!

Talk about running a one sided test! 

Message 327 of 1,018
latest reply

If the "consistant experience" you guys are looking for is to cheese everyone off by changing things without any notice to casual users like me, I would say you have acheived that goal with turd colored flying colors. You've spent all day repeating the same unhelpful dribble to people who obviously just want this lame test to end.

Message 328 of 1,018
latest reply

Not an obstacle? 

OK, let me see if I have this right. The reason for the description button on the Mobile device is because of the limited screen size of a smart phone. I get that. ebay's Mobile design team is working within the limitations of the screen. So, it's not an obstacle on a phone because it is expressly designed to accomodate those limitations. Mobile buyers who also use PCs adapted to the phone's button because it makes obvious sense on the smart phone. In fact, it's more convenient for the buyer than the alternative.

The fact that Mobile buyers can use it on the Smart Phone but also use their PCs indicates that they are capable of recognizing the two different modalities and can adapt from one to the other.

No such size limitation exist on the PC. 

But ebay is going to take something expressly designed to work within the inherent limitations of a smart phone's small screen , and apply it to a device which is not subject to any such limitation. This despite the fact that Mobile buyers do not appear to have any trouble switching between the two devices as they are now designed. ebay is in effect imposing a non-existing limitation on PCs for no reason other than it might not be a total obstacle to conversion.

So, ebay is under the impression that the reason conversions are higher on smart phones is that buyers on smart phones must click the description button? 

Wouldn't it seem like there are many more persuasive reasons than that?

Somehow I think its because they don't HAVE to read anything before they BID/BIN.

After all - EVERYTHING is not as described if you don't bother to or have to read the listing description. So buy it, when it gets there, try to figure out what you ordered, then send it back as SNAD for free!

@universalmastermind wrote:

If the "consistant experience" you guys are looking for is to cheese everyone off by changing things without any notice to casual users like me, I would say you have acheived that goal with turd colored flying colors. You've spent all day repeating the same unhelpful dribble to people who obviously just want this lame test to end.

I know you are talking about the description test,......but Irony is a cold one.  

Your statement could easily be about ebay in general over the last 6 year period as well.

I must say I am absolutely befuddled over the attitude coming from ebay employees, and the general lack of any common sense that is anything ebay.

I am also befuddled that the trend looks to just roll on and on until ebay is no more.

Message 330 of 1,018
latest reply