cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas season sales up or down?

HOW ARE YOUR SALES DOING THIS CHRISTMAS SEASON? UP 👍OR DOWN👎? DO YOU AGREE THAT EBAY SHOULD DO AN ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN LIKE ETSY. (WONDERFUL COMMERCIALS! IN FACT I SHOPPED THERE FOR CHRISTMAS GIFTS!) 

Message 1 of 109
latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

Re: Christmas season sales up or down?

@mytreasuresfromabroad 

1. Down.

2. This is the third year in a row ebay has refused to do a Holiday Marketing campaign for the site. While this might not have hurt all sellers, I think it has hurt many sellers. 

Message 2 of 109
latest reply

November and December are not my best months, any year.

Sales have been in line with past years.

Jewelry and Women's fashion sellers have been complaining for months about poor sales.

I put a bid on some Jewelry on Invaluable today, nothing comparable on Ebay. When there was, most of it was overpriced.

IMO everyone who is willing to buy on Ebay knows it is here.

Ebay is advertising. Target ads on streaming sites, and Email providers. NO commercial is going to make the mass market buyer buy on Ebay  It would be a waste of money, and wasting money translates to higher seller fees.

Message 3 of 109
latest reply

Toys down but clothes up....  🤔

Message 4 of 109
latest reply

My sales on up...stamps are selling.

Message 5 of 109
latest reply

Ok I guess...

I've seen eBay ad's all over the place.  Roku streaming channels, numerous cellphone Apps whereby the ads even target my "likes",  See banners atop The Weather Channel online, Facebook (Social Media) and numerous other sites.  Most venues online use external professional digital advertising firms, I've a relative works for one.  They are far far far more complex than I'd have ever fathomed.

The bottom line like it or not I've said many a time... eBay is now more than ever competing for the dollar, the buying traffic as every retailer of any significance has mainstreamed the Internet versus it being an accompaniment to their Brick and Mortar.  They are literally following in the steps of Walmart Online who went from "Yea, they're big online" to #2 in global eCommerce and have their sights set on usurping Amazon.

If anyone care chart back general sales to that of about the middle of Covid's breakout see sales shifts.  The stimulus gifted folks propped things up and between the largest debt any administration in US History blew up (Trumps, twice that of Obama which was largest) and said stimulus, inflation exploded.   At the sametime retailers were now 100% mainstreaming the web offering outstanding deals constantly online to consumers.  They'll go where the bargain and necessities are.

Sellers want howl and scream that eBay is displaying competitors products within their listing pages, that's called competition.  Price competition is exactly what eBay needs, its exactly what put Amazon as #1 in eCommerce.  It's exactly what has placed Walmart as #2 in eCommerce along with the two respective fulfillment systems and consumer guarantees.  Now how eBay gets millions of sellers to get price competitive with the word outside eBay is certainly a big question and regardless of advertising unless that happens the site will continue to loose buyers.

Message 6 of 109
latest reply

@mytreasuresfromabroad 

Mine are actually OK.  Surprisingly...lol.  I had 3 sales this week which is good for me and 4 sales on another selling venue.  Hopefully I'll get a few more before the holiday.  Shipping same day if I can.  Hope your sales are doing well too.

Happy Holidays and Selling! 

Message 7 of 109
latest reply

Sales are complete garbage, the obvious result of ebay's failed marketing efforts, and the fact they don't invest enough in marketing to begin with.

I have 578 listings right now, and I am getting a lousy 20 to 30 views a day. All 578 of those listings are all promoted, get no views.

No one is going to drive any meaningful sales with 20 views a day.

The fact consumers are spending billions of dollars with Amazon and Walmart, while spending nothing on ebay, says all we need to know.

Message 8 of 109
latest reply

A lot of your items are in highly competitive markets. For example your DVD Hangover Part II has about 500 other sellers and I can get one for $3.68 with free shipping. If someone is looking for a Baby Yoda mug, they will find over 1,500 listings for various types of Baby Yoda mugs. Pretty hard to sell items with a lot of competition.

Message 9 of 109
latest reply

The vast bulk of Ebay sellers, were they to seek venture capital for their business would be turned down, even if the VCs were to lower the levels of investment they would consider.

Most Ebay sellers are not buying what they sell at "the best prices". Many Ebay sellers are selling what they can find as targets of opportunity, not providing a predictable mix of products which will build buyer loyalty. And are often selling obsolete products and products which have been relegated to the clearance shelves in stores. And most of them are imitating other Ebay sellers, and using other people's sales to set their prices, often leaving money on the table.

A seller on another thread was buying and offering products which were not worth the cost of storage in Amazon's FCs he was buying from a liquidator.

Should Ebay advertise that it was selling everyone's failed products?

Ebay is strong in many types of collectibles. Collectors know that. Ebay has a lot of sellers who are really knowledgeable about they collectibles they sell, but it also has a lot of ignorant sellers who disrupt the market for collectibles of all sorts. Describe poorly, price abominably, and even sell reproductions. Third party grading has become more pervasive, and had led to higher prices for collectors. The need for 3P grading has been the unreliability of some of the sellers.

Where in this situation is something worth advertising?

There are lots of people selling handmade items such as there are on Etsy or Amazon Handmade, but Ebay does not apply the standards other sites do to handmade. They could be handmade here, or in India, Pakistan, China or anywhere else there are people with hand tools.

There is lots of Made in China product. Most of it is cheaper on Ebay than on Amazon. Should they advertise that you can get your cheap Chinese product for less on Ebay? Cheapskates like me know already. Other crapmeisters are buying on Temu.

What is it about Ebay that is unique? And is it worth advertising?

Message 10 of 109
latest reply

My sales are up.

It started right after Thanksgiving.

Last 30 days: Up

Last 90 days: Up

2023: Up 

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 11 of 109
latest reply

Up, up and away.

Message 12 of 109
latest reply

Of course there's always competition, but the reality is my listings aren't being seen to begin with, even though they're all promoted.

ebay takes 20% to 25% of my sales on average, I don't think its too much to ask they invest in better marketing, we are paying for it.

It costs $3.92 to ship a single DVD. Anyone selling a DVD for $3.68 with free shipping is intentionally losing money. Are they getting a free pass on ebays fees too? I would think not.

Message 13 of 109
latest reply

Sales here in the toilet. I do not promote, have about 258 items right now listed. One sale so far in December, 4 in November, 5 for October and 5 in September. Luckily, I have over 700 items on another site and have a part time job. Can't pay the bills on this venue for what I have. 

My prices are lower than most people selling used of the same brand, mine are NWT. Who knows, but not going to throw good money after bad by promoting this stuff. It is selling fairly well on other site, ups and downs are normal but shipped 3 items today on other site, makes me smile.

Message 14 of 109
latest reply

Sales were good for me over the turkey day weekend but soon went back into the late 2023 toilet.  Back in September I even did a storewide promoted listing which did not do much for sales but sure took a hit out of my margins.

Message 15 of 109
latest reply