cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Back Fraud

Buyers are allowed to initiate a charge back from their bank and not exactly through ebay.

This is a terrible loop hole.

We as sellers have no leverage or recourse. We are at the mercy of the bank who will protect their customer even though that customer is committing fraud.

The banks SUCK.

Ebay better figure out a way to protect the sellers.

I already took a break selling because I worried about the charge backs. Now it happened right off the bat.

I just spoke to ebay and they basically said there is nothing they can do and that this goes on everywhere. Anyone can dispute with any entity. Stores, cable companies, phone companies, etc. It is a terrible loop hole that the thieves exploit and the bank back up and the vendor (whoever it is) gets completely hosed.

Ebay really better figure out a way to protect the sellers or there will not be anyone willing to get sell and get screwed.

Message 1 of 144
latest reply
143 REPLIES 143

Re: Charge Back Fraud

@picturepursefect wrote:

I had someone just file a chargeback for "doesn't recognize charge" from a transaction 3 months ago....in which they picked up the item from the post office in person. The transaction was for $600 😞

@picturepursefect 

That should be an easy one to win.  Make sure you respond and give the evidence you have to support your position.  If you  have more documents to submit than are allowed on the claim, simply create a word document and copy all the info into it or create a PDF file.

You'll want the Order Detail report, Full Tracking, a copy of your Feedback page that has fb from them [if they left any] and your written summary of the transaction to include drawing attention to the fact they picked up the package at the PO.  Anything that supports your position, submit it.  The sooner the better.

Good Luck.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 136 of 144
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

I hope it wasn't a 'no returns' listing.  Good luck and be sure to state that they picked it up at the p.o. in your response to the chargeback.  And include a screenshot of the tracking including the tracking number and the Delivered scan language.  

Their return policy should have nothing at all to do with the Chargeback.  Per what the poster shared, they didn't file for a return of the item.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 137 of 144
latest reply

I Think she means the customer can bypass the ebay returns/requests process. That is where the biggest problem exists for all credit card chargebacks everywhere. Customer need not contact the merchant to resolve their issue. That IS THE  LAW that needs to change with the Federal Trade Commission.  You do NOT go directly to your chargecard first, your seek resolution with the merchant first. Which IS what most honest people do. The scammers take advantage of the CC privilege. If said merchant refuses to cooperate, then run to the card for help. THAT IS THE LOOPHOLE.

Message 138 of 144
latest reply

PAYPAL I believe thwarts these chargebacks when they are initiated without first appealing to the merchant. Last time I did one that I had to do because merchant would not cooperate. PP instructed to CONTACT MERCHANT FIRST FOR RESOLUTION. It was not until I could not resolve the issue with the merchant that they let the chargeback fly. So, if this is how they angle it, why not here?

Message 139 of 144
latest reply

As I said in an earlier post. PP thwarts chargebacks by instructing to defer to merchant first.

Message 140 of 144
latest reply

Easy win, as long as transaction shows delivered to customers verified address and signature tracking showing it was absolutely delivered  to possible scammer filing chargeback. These are also happening when customer forgets they bought something, does not recognize the purchase, or relative family member uses someone’s card without their knowledge.

Message 141 of 144
latest reply

@champuchinonu1 wrote:

Thats not a good strategy. You can't charge others for someones else fault.

@champuchinonu1 Are you responding to my post of last August, 6 months ago? Seems a bit late, but if so, please explain how it is not a good strategy to anticipate losses and incorporate shrinkage into one’s business plan.

To not address plans for potential retail loss would be the poor strategy.

Savvy retailers take losses into account or they won’t be in business long.  Their expenses/costs (including loss) effect all pricing of inventory. Who do you think covers a retailer’s cost of doing business if not the consumer? 

Message 142 of 144
latest reply

It might depend on what 'kind' of Paypal buy it was -direct from PP account funds, PP debit card (that's a separate account), a non-PP debit/credit/checking account but via PP Wallet, or PP Credit.   I have all of the above, and use each according to various circumstances.

But yes PP is harder for bad buyers to utilize for scamming overall.  I had a buyer attempt a PP chargeback in which they had NOT attempted an eBay return and would have had no trouble because it was under 30 days and I had free returns ..... Paypal still DID allow them to file the chargeback, but ended up finding in my favor. 

Incidentally, that finding might not have even been because of any policy regarding skipping the merchant route.  I say that because while waiting for the finding, I called PP and got a really cool CSR who probably found the call a refreshing change from dealing with angry customers, so he wound up talking to me for 30 minutes (the first few answering my question, and the rest exchanging war stories because he was also a former eBay seller, LOL).    -As to my question, he said the buyer's complaint would be dismissed regardless of whether they'd tried to do a return, simply because they only entertain INAD cases if they are gross incidents of "wrong item".  He gave the example of receiving baby bottles when they ordered sunglasses, not nitpicking about the quality of pieces in a used jewelry lot, when they ordered a used jewelry lot and that's what they received.   

Mind you, it was during the peak of the pandemic so online buying was at an all-time high and PP employees were overwhelmed, including fielding complaints about items shipped from (or made in) China, thus potential bio-weapons of mass destruction, LOL.  

EDIT: Oh btw, how I knew this chargeback was a PP purchase -the buyer mentioned PP in her crazed negative feedback, which eBay also removed.  

Message 143 of 144
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 144 of 144
latest reply