cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Back Fraud

Buyers are allowed to initiate a charge back from their bank and not exactly through ebay.

This is a terrible loop hole.

We as sellers have no leverage or recourse. We are at the mercy of the bank who will protect their customer even though that customer is committing fraud.

The banks SUCK.

Ebay better figure out a way to protect the sellers.

I already took a break selling because I worried about the charge backs. Now it happened right off the bat.

I just spoke to ebay and they basically said there is nothing they can do and that this goes on everywhere. Anyone can dispute with any entity. Stores, cable companies, phone companies, etc. It is a terrible loop hole that the thieves exploit and the bank back up and the vendor (whoever it is) gets completely hosed.

Ebay really better figure out a way to protect the sellers or there will not be anyone willing to get sell and get screwed.

Message 1 of 144
latest reply
143 REPLIES 143

Re: Charge Back Fraud

I get the concern, but it is not different here than it is on similar sites.  BTW Ebay isn't taking any risk, the seller is.

Ebay is NOT in control of everything.  They do NOT control Chargebacks, the CCCs control that.  

Yes there are answers to fix the problem with Chargebacks.  We need to lobby our representative for better consumer protection LAWS specifically guiding CCCs and the Chargeback process.  

I know it is frustrating, but fixing anything requires finding the source of the problem and in this case it is not Ebay.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 121 of 144
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@xadexane wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

From that message you should pay special attention to what Charles said "...when Ebay manages your payments, the only relationship is with Ebay, not any third party payment processor".  So that means once you are in MP, Ebay is the processor period. 

Um, you yourself quoted Charles from that post (which is still valid today) to misconstrue your contention, a fail unfortunately.

xaxa59_0-1702674304513.jpeg

Here's a picture, since we've demonstrated how we fail to properly read and understand quite frequently.

OK, my interpretation of how Managed Payments works is accurate, but I see why it gets confusing.  Sellers on Ebay are no longer allowed to use PayPal as a money processor.  Buyers can use PP to submit payment, but it still runs through Managed Payments.  If the buyer files a Chargeback, the buyer does that directly with their financial institute and then Ebay is notified of the Chargeback, in turn Ebay notifies the seller of the Chargeback.  

For clarity, would one of the Community team please respond and clarify how a Chargeback is handled even if PP was the payment method of the buyer.

Note a post of Charles' was posted a few posts back, which to me was clearly written, but there seems to be different interpretations of his email.  So your help to clarify would be greatly appreciated.

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Hey @mam98031! For a seller, if a chargeback is filled we (eBay) work with the payment processor regardless of who it is and then relay any of the information provided or needed to the seller directly. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 122 of 144
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@xadexane wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

From that message you should pay special attention to what Charles said "...when Ebay manages your payments, the only relationship is with Ebay, not any third party payment processor".  So that means once you are in MP, Ebay is the processor period. 

Um, you yourself quoted Charles from that post (which is still valid today) to misconstrue your contention, a fail unfortunately.

Here's a picture, since we've demonstrated how we fail to properly read and understand quite frequently.

OK, my interpretation of how Managed Payments works is accurate, but I see why it gets confusing.  Sellers on Ebay are no longer allowed to use PayPal as a money processor.  Buyers can use PP to submit payment, but it still runs through Managed Payments.  If the buyer files a Chargeback, the buyer does that directly with their financial institute and then Ebay is notified of the Chargeback, in turn Ebay notifies the seller of the Chargeback.  

For clarity, would one of the Community team please respond and clarify how a Chargeback is handled even if PP was the payment method of the buyer.

Note a post of Charles' was posted a few posts back, which to me was clearly written, but there seems to be different interpretations of his email.  So your help to clarify would be greatly appreciated.

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Hey @mam98031! For a seller, if a chargeback is filled we (eBay) work with the payment processor regardless of who it is and then relay any of the information provided or needed to the seller directly. 

Hi devon@ebay if we (eBay) relay the information to the payment processor (above), how can eBay be the payment processor (below, from here) talking to itself? 

@mam98031 wrote:

Ebay is your Payment Processor for all sellers in Managed Payments.  Ebay is a legally set up Payment Processor.

https://pages.ebay.com/ebaycommerce/mtl.html#:~:text=New%20York-,eBay%20Commerce%20Inc.,State%20Depa....

Message 123 of 144
latest reply

@bctk5292 wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@xadexane wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

devon@ebay 

Hi devon@ebay if we (eBay) relay the information to the payment processor (above), how can eBay be the payment processor (below, from here) talking to itself? 

@mam98031 wrote:

Ebay is your Payment Processor for all sellers in Managed Payments.  Ebay is a legally set up Payment Processor.

https://pages.ebay.com/ebaycommerce/mtl.html#:~:text=New%20York-,eBay%20Commerce%20Inc.,State%20Depa....

@bctk5292 eBay is the payment processor (payouts to sellers) but in the case of a buyer purchasing an item that goes through the buyers financial institution. If a buyer then files a chargeback with their financial institution, then we (eBay) talk with that financial institution on behalf of the seller and share any information needed or provided with the seller.  

Devon,
eBay
Message 124 of 144
latest reply

I hope Devon's posts help for everyone to better understand this process.  As a seller we ONLY deal with Ebay in regards to Chargebacks.  Ebay doesn't disclose to the seller who the financial institute is for the buyer anyway.  I know I've said this several times on this thread, but some did not believe it, so I asked Devon to help.

Happy Holidays everyone !!!

Message 125 of 144
latest reply

@bctk5292 

"...if we (eBay) relay the information to the payment processor (above), how can eBay be the payment processor (below, from here) talking to itself? "

I think you just misunderstand.  Ebay will communicate with the financial institute that the Chargeback was filed in by the buyer and Ebay will communicate with the seller.

Message 126 of 144
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I hope Devon's posts help for everyone to better understand this process.  As a seller we ONLY deal with Ebay in regards to Chargebacks.  Ebay doesn't disclose to the seller who the financial institute is for the buyer anyway.  I know I've said this several times on this thread, but some did not believe it, so I asked Devon to help.

Happy Holidays everyone !!! 

OMG this just happened TODAY, a few hours ago! And if anything, it's quite apropos here. 

bctk5292_0-1702955450678.jpeg

No one is fooled -- we all see that charles_payments already said it 3 years ago:

"...when Ebay manages your payments, the only relationship is with Ebay, not any third party payment processor"

Now Devon has echoed that.

Twice. 

It's not necessary to re-own the concept.

Message 127 of 144
latest reply

Ok, then how are they protecting the seller against this problem?  

Ebay is  processing the payments.   

And here is another point, how can I protect myself from this happening?

Message 128 of 144
latest reply

Merchant  B/M    has 50 days to fight  the snad,  Both  state and Federal  Merchant & Buyer statues  state that a buyer must show proof that merchant didn't  sell the goods for the indented  use  . also credit  card's give a dep. Credit to their customer  during the 50 day dispute  process .   B/M  Merchant  has their return policys posted at both ends of store  and at the check out  where they do carrier more weight protections for  the merchant  .  Also  second market  merchant seller  does have more protects  on returns or no returns  and  refunds limited to no refunds .   Ebay is now merchant of record  and  jumped into managed payment 's  like amazon most buyers will file with a credit card.   

Message 129 of 144
latest reply

I had a lady several months back do a charge back to her credit card. The reason was “did not authorize purchase“. Come to find out the reason she did the chargeback was because she forgot to update her shipping address in eBay. 

Message 130 of 144
latest reply

Ebay doesn't care and will not care. Mark my words. With this economy , chargebacks are happening even much more than ever . Most People tell you here " Oh well Ebay will back you up". Well let me tell you INAD and SNAD chargebacks are so easy to win . Even if you try it with someone you would probably win, it so easily. Oh and if someone thinks credit card companies will force the scammer to return, scammer would easily return you a different product or even an empty box. So then you have to file police report and postmaster report. That would not do anything. Maybe if there are pile of reports against a single scammer, then may be. Even then if has to be a significant amount.  CC chargebacks are loopholes and Ebay encourages it, period.

Ebay states its a platform, they are only here to take their part, if anything goes wrong deal with the buyer directly. No matter how many pictures you post, outcome is not always what you think.  Now people say " Ebay can't do anything", well let me tell you lots of people who have scammed honest sellers on Ebay are still on Ebay and constantly doing it with so ease and no restrictions. Ebay is in cahoots with these scammers. Can't waste money and energy .  According to Ebay " ITS A COST OF DOIN BUSINESS". I closed my account recently , few other sellers had nightmare chargebacks and they lost. Few lost thousands. Not every sale is less than 1000$ or 500$. "EBAY ITS A COST OF NOT WASTING MY TIME ON YOUR PATHETIC PLATFORM".  Few of my friends are doing better on other platforms. That truly made easier for me to quit here

A friend of mine did it with another independent retailer, i really hated him, he was instantly blocked by that retailer for future purchases. Good. This is the only way out. Not here, its definitely a scammers paradise.

Message 131 of 144
latest reply

I believe the OP is pointing towards chargebacks filed after 30 MBG days period ends. A buyer can open INAD SNAD, Not authorized, not recognized transactions with their CC bypassing EBAY. Most scammers do it after 3 or even few 5 months later.  

Even a scammer can do it easily within 30 MBG days. Not all buyers are scammers , but few are and their actions speak louder than their words.

Message 132 of 144
latest reply

Thats not a good strategy. You can't charge others for someones else fault.

Message 133 of 144
latest reply

I had someone just file a chargeback for "doesn't recognize charge" from a transaction 3 months ago....in which they picked up the item from the post office in person. The transaction was for $600 😞

Message 134 of 144
latest reply

I hope it wasn't a 'no returns' listing.  Good luck and be sure to state that they picked it up at the p.o. in your response to the chargeback.  And include a screenshot of the tracking including the tracking number and the Delivered scan language.  

Message 135 of 144
latest reply