cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes on how Sales Tax presents for Sellers!

Ebay just made an announcement on the announcement board regarding this, but I know that many don't regularly visit the announcements and/or aren't signed up to receive an email update for announcements.  So this thread is just an effort to keep us informed on changes that we should be in the know about.

Here is the announcement and then the link.

On October 1st, we announced changes to the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance, and those changes are now live. 

Starting now, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:

• In states where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.
  • Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.
  • A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Order details page and through our Download order report.

Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action.

We understand that the holiday selling season is nearly upon us and we are working to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Learn more about Internet Sales Tax in the eBay Seller Center. If you have questions about how Internet Sales Tax may affect you, we recommend consulting with your tax advisor.

Note: These changes do not apply to sellers currently enrolled in managed payments.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/NOW-LIVE-New-Internet-Sales-Tax-changes-that-impact-you/...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action.

Readers need to note: the above portion of the announcement is probably NOT a true statement for most sellers.

Sellers will need to 'keep track of' (on a possible daily basis) the amount of tax that is being REMOVED from ebay from your paypal account, as paypal will issue you a 1099 with the 'gross' amount you collected. The AMOUNTS REMOVED by ebay for buyers taxes around the country, will be a TAX DEDUCTION for your Federal and State Income Tax as this, in essence, is a 'false' profit, if you don't "capture and deduct" this money at tax time. 

Message 2 of 105
latest reply

@corvettestainless wrote:

Readers need to note: the above portion of the announcement is probably NOT a true statement for most sellers.

Sellers will need to 'keep track of' (on a possible daily basis) the amount of tax that is being REMOVED from ebay from your paypal account, as paypal will issue you a 1099 with the 'gross' amount you collected. The AMOUNTS REMOVED by ebay for buyers taxes around the country, will be a TAX DEDUCTION for your Federal and State Income Tax as this, in essence, is a 'false' profit, if you don't "capture and deduct" this money at tax time. 

Yes absolutely.  All sellers should keep complete, detailed records even if they aren't big enough to get a 1099 from PP or MP/Ebay.  Even those that don't qualify for 1099's should be reporting to their states and of course there are those pesky income taxes.  So good records are key.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 105
latest reply

Glad I live in a non-facilitator state.  I have enough paperwork to deal with both on and offline lol

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 105
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Ebay just made an announcement on the announcement board regarding this, but I know that many don't regularly visit the announcements and/or aren't signed up to receive an email update for announcements.  So this thread is just an effort to keep us informed on changes that we should be in the know about.

Here is the announcement and then the link.

On October 1st, we announced changes to the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance, and those changes are now live. 

Starting now, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:

• In states where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.
  • Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.
  • A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Order details page and through our Download order report.

We understand that the holiday selling season is nearly upon us and we are working to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Learn more about Internet Sales Tax in the eBay Seller Center. If you have questions about how Internet Sales Tax may affect you, we recommend consulting with your tax advisor.

Note: These changes do not apply to sellers currently enrolled in managed payments.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/NOW-LIVE-New-Internet-Sales-Tax-changes-that-impact-you/...

Funny, I saw the first announcement of this a while back and thought it said it was going live November 1st, so I was checking our sales from over the weekend and didn't notice that anything had changed.  I went back and re-read that original announcement and realized it just said "in November", so I was going to post here to see if anyone knew when it would start.  Then I saw a sale come through a little while ago with the tax the new way, so I figured the answer was "now" and sure enough the announcement was updated.  laughing

For anyone wondering, here's what it looks like now both in seller hub and in PayPal.

Newtax1.jpg

Newtax2.jpg

Message 5 of 105
latest reply

I'm getting confused.  So now ebay will add the sales tax to the sold total, but not charge FVF for the tax part, but will report the additional collected tax part on the 1099K for me to deduct later?

Message 6 of 105
latest reply

Never mind.

@autopiacarcare 

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 7 of 105
latest reply

Everyone should note that the Paypal fee is taken on the total INCLUDING THE SALES TAX.   It's a small amount, but still is an increase on overall "costs of doing business".

Message 8 of 105
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I'm getting confused.  So now ebay will add the sales tax to the sold total, but not charge FVF for the tax part, but will report the additional collected tax part on the 1099K for me to deduct later?

If you are using PayPal and it is a marketplace facilitator state  - the full amount, including tax, gets sent to you through PayPal.  PayPal charges you their processing fee on the full amount.  Then, the tax amount gets deducted and sent to eBay since they are legally required to collect and remit it.  eBay does not charge you FVF on the tax amount.

PayPal will presumably include the tax amount in your 1099K.  But also, based on the way it is displaying in PayPal right now, you should be able to easily see in PayPal reports the amounts deducted and sent back to eBay.  That should make it easier to deal with come tax time, but not as easy as not having to deal with it at all.

Message 9 of 105
latest reply

This is my question about how this is all going to shake out ..

If the buyer in a particular transaction gets a refund, are they going to expect the gross amount refunded to them? Would this buyer expect to be getting $114.42 back from the seller because, of course, that is how much they paid them?

This looks like an accident looking for a place to happen to me.

Message 10 of 105
latest reply

@autopiacarcare wrote:

PayPal will presumably include the tax amount in your 1099K.  But also, based on the way it is displaying in PayPal right now, you should be able to easily see in PayPal reports the amounts deducted and sent back to eBay.  That should make it easier to deal with come tax time, but not as easy as not having to deal with it at all.

For reference, here's how it appears in a downloaded report from PayPal.  Looks like they are calling it a "Partner Fee" and they have a reference ID that links back to the original transaction.

newtax3.jpg

Message 11 of 105
latest reply

Newtax2.jpg

How easy and decent it could have been for Paypal to move their fee down ONE line?  I know it's usually a small amount but we sellers are squeezed in every direction and now pay fees on money we never even see!

Message 12 of 105
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Everyone should note that the Paypal fee is taken on the total INCLUDING THE SALES TAX.   It's a small amount, but still is an increase on overall "costs of doing business".

@dtexley3  - Also noteworthy is that anyone using PayPal Working Capital Loans is going to get hit even harder, since the payback on those loans comes out as a percentage of each sale.   All the way around, I see this as eBay's way of sticking it to PayPal and those who still wish to use their services instead of switching to Managed Payments.

Message 13 of 105
latest reply

I don't see where eBay is "sticking it to paypal".  What I see is that eBay shifted the transaction cost (2.9% of the sales tax amount) to the seller.  I sincerely doubt that there is any cost at all to eBay when the sales tax dollars flow out of paypal.

I have no idea if paypal passes the amounts directly to the states, back to eBay, or to another entity that gather's up the funds and disperses them on eBay's behalf.

Message 14 of 105
latest reply

I wonder if the sales tax collected will show on the sales reports because I don't use the hub but get my fees off that monthly report. 

Message 15 of 105
latest reply