cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change return settings

We deal with expensive items.

Last month we had an item that a customer wanted to return through resolution center and eBay authorized him the return without contacting us prior.

The customer just checked some buttons in the system and was able to return.

Since we deal with expensive items we want to make sure that there is insurance when the items are returned and that the customer did not switch the items on us for fraud reasons.

Therefore we had a phone call with an eBay representative which showed us how in the backend of the eBay system to set up that from now on that customers will have to contact us before they want to return an item as well as wait for us to refund the purchase.

However this week we had another return and surprisingly enough the customer did not contact us and he was able to give a request to return without contacting us and once we receive the item we only have two business days to refund the purchase.

We spoke to eBay yesterday over the phone explaining to them the issue with refunding quickly as we need experts to verify the items returned.

We also notified the representative that we set up in the system previously that all customers have to contact us before returns and that we have a few business days to authorize a return.

However the representative we spoke to never even heard about this option.

From experience eBay is a very big system and not all representatives know about all possibilities in the system.

We will appreciate if the form members can point us in the direction of official eBay documentation explaining how to change the return policy that a customer has to contact us the seller before a return as well as allowing us a few business days to refund the purchase.

Thank you for your help and have a nice day.

------------------------------

http://stores.ebay.com/Carats-Direct2u
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Change return settings

@Anonymous 

looks like poster is being given conflicting/erroneous info by CS........  Can you clear up?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Seems to me I remember that if you put in your returns that a Return Authorization Number is required that you then have to be contacted to give out that number. Not sure if that is still so but at one time it was.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@seli1030 wrote:

Therefore we had a phone call with an eBay representative which showed us how in the backend of the eBay system to set up that from now on that customers will have to contact us before they want to return an item as well as wait for us to refund the purchase.

At one time you could do this ... but times have changed ...

However this week we had another return and surprisingly enough the customer did not contact us and he was able to give a request to return without contacting us and once we receive the item we only have two business days to refund the purchase.

This is the new simplified returns process that eBay introduced beginning in July 2018 for all sellers.

We will appreciate if the form members can point us in the direction of official eBay documentation explaining how to change the return policy that a customer has to contact us the seller before a return as well as allowing us a few business days to refund the purchase.

There are a couple of ways that you might be able to slightly modify the simplified returns process. 

1. As noted above,  go into Account Settings >> Site Preferences >> Return Preferences and check the RMA number box ... this gives you a little delay to communicate with the buyer, and the opportunity to issue your own return label.
  2. You can also go into your listing and check the "Replacement Available" box in the returns section.  I haven't had this option exercised for a few months, but if I recall you may get the old interface that allows you to communicate, offer partial refunds, offer replacements, issue return labels, etc.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@orangehound    has the correct info.  I am not sure if this is what happened but it is possible the setting change to include RMA number did not roll over active listings and would not apply to listings until they rolled over?  That is just a guess.  Your GTC listings will update to any changes when they renew.

The RMA number should allow you some time to send your buyer a return shipping label including whatever services you want.  eBay does not have a lot of time for you to work out a solution for requests so you have to be actively doing this task.

Also I am not sure how you are going to get an expert to review the item the buyer is returning before they return it? 

Good Luck Selling!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@seli1030 wrote:

We deal with expensive items.

Last month we had an item that a customer wanted to return through resolution center and eBay authorized him the return without contacting us prior.

The customer just checked some buttons in the system and was able to return.

Since we deal with expensive items we want to make sure that there is insurance when the items are returned and that the customer did not switch the items on us for fraud reasons.

We spoke to eBay yesterday over the phone explaining to them the issue with refunding quickly as we need experts to verify the items returned.

We also notified the representative that we set up in the system previously that all customers have to contact us before returns and that we have a few business days to authorize a return.

However the representative we spoke to never even heard about this option.

From experience eBay is a very big system and not all representatives know about all possibilities in the system.

Thank you for your help and have a nice day.

Hi @seli1030, can you tell me approximately the time that you had this conversation? I'm happy to review the call for appropriate coaching. I can confirm that requiring an RMA would allow for more time to communicate with your buyer before a return was authorized, but a refund is expected within the same timeframe regardless. If you offer free returns you are able to deduct up to 50% of the refund for damage or alteration that was caused by your buyer, but otherwise you would need to refund in full and report any concerns to eBay for review.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Hi, if a return is coming to you thru the Resolution Center, it is possible that the buyer has opened a Not As Described case or Item Not Received case. These are not regular returns where the seller has options on how the return is processed.

Below is a link to the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy.  It contains important info on how to process these claims. Also, when such claims are opened, eBay will send a message to you thru its Message system, and the claim will appear on your Seller Dashboard.

Every seller needs to regularly check both places to keep abreast of the claims. The buyer does not have to notify the seller to alert them that a Money Back Guarantee case has been filed with eBay. But if you monitor your Messages, eBay will send you the notices.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hello,

How can I privately contact you?

The information is sensitive and private.

Thank you for your help.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I just tried to log into my preferences for returns it seems to be empty.
That is very weird as I had a conversation with an eBay representative and we set it up together and also verified it with him over the phone.
How can I change my preferences that from now on a customer will have to contact me before a return?
Also I would like to buy more time to refund the item.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The customer was not using any of those claims.

He only claimed that his girlfriend does not like the item.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

What happens if I cannot refund in two business days?

Well eBay take out the funds automatically from my account?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I can confirm that requiring an RMA would allow for more time to communicate with your buyer before a return was authorized, but a refund is expected within the same timeframe regardless.

A return request still gets automatic acceptance even when you require a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number per settings in your Return Preferences, before the buyer can send the item back to you.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply