cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation Fee needed to cover expenses of a buyer cancel

We need to be able to charge a Cancellation Fee for enough to cover expenses as in relist and PP fees. As small as they are the can really add up for a seller having selling slump. For umm buyers who can't read lol. Smile all just a suggestion

But  simple things  like this to assist sellers ( ie like mid size store level) won't be implemented because  it makes sense.

Time is the most precious gift, Thank you for yours,
aswe
Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Cancellation Fee needed to cover expenses of a buyer cancel

The fact that eBay sellers lose money due to dishonest buyers and retrieve most of it is a OK? If that is your attitude I suggest you take on the losses and lets us get our money back.

This argument makes no sense. That is like saying that if I believe taxes should pay for a fire department to protect the town and you don't, then I should pay for the fire department myself so you don't have to. 

it's ludicrous to suggest that we should be OK with being stolen from 

No one is stealing from you. When you agreed to sell here, you agreed to assume the costs associated with canceled sales. You can dislike what you agreed to, and you can want to change what you agreed to ... but that doesn't make what you agreed to into "stealing". 

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

@lmc1987wrote:
Easy for you to say about someone else's loss. Perhaps in your generous way you might just accept that loss as yours and refund to sellers who think they should not have to pay for sales that fall through when not due to their issues.

I'm a seller myself.  I accept the terms and conditions of the User Agreement.  I know that in all venues, buyers sometimes change their minds. That doesn't make them dishonest or scoundrels.  The occasional loss of 30 cents isn't going to make a difference in my life. I likely lost more than that not paying close enough attention to the change I got back from the cashier at the grocery store last week. 

When it comes to losses that are unjust, on eBay, I consider the serious losses to be those that arise out of buyers who abuse the Money Back Guarantee and claim items are defective.  Not the buyers who simply change their minds.

When and if I believe that the losses outweigh the gains, I'll look for another source of income.  

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 17 of 41
latest reply

I propose a Probationary Level.  Most buyers would never see it and never be affected by it.  Buyers who request cancellation 'X' times in 'Y' period of time would be inducted into the program with a message explaining what and why.  For the next 'Z' months, they would find a secondary confirmation page before they could commit to buy and check out.  That page would reiterate policy about commiting to buy and explain consequences which could include being assesed a cancellation fee in the future.  They would have to agree to the terms of that program before they could proceed.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 18 of 41
latest reply

As entitled as you are to your opinion and decision making considering your funds and the effect 10 cents 30 cents has on you are your choices and you are certainly entitled to them. Sellers who are not as well to do as you feel you are or just want to make their own decisions on giving away their money unnecessarily are also entitled to that opinion. I personally believe that a buyer that backs out of a sale and worsens that decision by not being honest enough to contact the seller and allow them then seller to agree to process causing eBay to allow them to immediately relist rather than go through a many days long process before being able to relist are wrong and blindly supporting that kind of erroneous poor behavior only makes it harder for sellers who actually Pay the bills . Buyers do not pay fees to Pay Pal or eBay. As for accepting the user agreement , doesn't actually mean you have to support every element of that agreement, especially if you have been around long enough to see it become so one sided in support of buyers over sellers. When you make it too hard for a seller to make income you will no longer have income.
Message 19 of 41
latest reply

I absolutely never suggested you weren't entitled to your opinion.

Message 20 of 41
latest reply

Fine we will then this then by agreeing to disagree at least on some of the policies mentioned. I thank you for your input , and respect your right to your opinion on these matters have a great sellers experience on eBay!
Message 21 of 41
latest reply

We don't have to agree to disagree.  We can simply disagree.

Good luck to you too.

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

meant to say end this by agreeing to disagree. eBay should add a way to edit these posts after we click the post.
Message 23 of 41
latest reply

eBay should add a way to edit these posts after we click the post.

hit those 3 .... in upper right of message "options"........then you can edit......but only for 5 min I think it is

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

well if they are not then cancelling your sale and costing you money let them go somewhere else!
Message 25 of 41
latest reply

And How much did it cost the buyer?
Message 26 of 41
latest reply

Jenn, What I found was that there will be some changes but it is still available. There will be a drop down menu and one of the reasons is "bought by mistake". 

That would be a good reason for a restocking fee for a cancellation if you wanted that kind of thing. I tried to do a screenshot but had to settle for copy and paste what I found. eBay will automatically deduct the fee from the return reimbursement.

What's changing with restocking fees?

Restocking fees will be offered to all sellers inside a structured pull-down menu located in your return policy. When you select the restocking fee, it will show on your item page, and be automatically deducted from the refund when the buyer chooses the following return reasons:

• Doesn’t fit
  • Changed Mind
  • Found a better price
  • Just didn't like it'n- Ordered by mistake         
  •       What do I need to do to have a restocking fee automatically deducted from the buyer’s refund?

Starting in late October, you’ll be able to add restocking fees using a new pull-down menu found in your return policy when creating a new listing or updating an existing listing. You should no longer use the ‘free-form’ field for restocking fees after the pull-down list becomes available. If you have Good ‘Til Cancelled listings with restocking fees, you’ll need to edit your listings using the eBay Bulk Editing and Relist Tool to benefit from the automatic refund deduction.

Message 27 of 41
latest reply

Notice the mention of October?

I think that's old text and won't apply to post-Spring-Update.

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

Yes, I did. I wondered why so late. I was reading spring updates or so I thought. Oh well. No point reading if I am going to be reading the wrong thing. Thanks for more clarification. I know Jenn knows what is going on around here so  I checked this twice before I posted. 

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

At the very top of the page, this information is on, it says spring seller updates 2018. I guess everything I have been reading for the past 20 minutes is old news. Sorry about that.

Message 30 of 41
latest reply