cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceled bids from unregistered members?

eBay administration has canceled two bids I received, one on two different item because bidder wasn’t  a registered member.  My question is how did they place the bid to begin with? I think other bidders might  feel it’s a scam of sorts.  Or is it some kind of scam by these un registered bidders?

I still would like to know how they could place a bid!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

you don't have to be registered to bid.......can be a guest account.......  That said, ebay can also kick people off and send a notice that a buyer is no longer a registered bidder......they may have been at the time of bidding, but something made ebay deep six them after a bid/or purchase.........

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

eBay un-registered them AFTER they placed the bids.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

eBay did the same to one of my sales. I did not ship the item per eBay’s email, but my account shows I’m now late in shipping. I’m not sure what to do

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

All is likely just fine for you.  I know we look for a "scam" around every corner, but that doesn't mean that is realistic.  The vast majority of transactions go off without a hitch on Ebay.  If they didn't, sellers simply would not be here selling.

When a member because NARU'd [no longer a register user], it is either because the buyer requested their account to be closed or Ebay saw something they didn't like and shut the buyer down.

You are correct, NARU'd members can't bid or purchase items from that account.  And when they bid on your items they were NOT NARU'd.

You are fine, your other buyers are fine.  IDK what kind of "scam" you might think this is.  To be a "scam" you would need to lose product or money, neither of which is possible here.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@nichigh-1223 wrote:

eBay did the same to one of my sales. I did not ship the item per eBay’s email, but my account shows I’m now late in shipping. I’m not sure what to do

More details please.  Copy and paste the actual email you got from Ebay into a post.  Black out any personal information.  Without knowing the details, all we can do is guess and that isn't the best way to get good advice.

@nichigh-1223 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

We wanted to let you know that a bid for the listing below was canceled because of an issue with the buyer’s account:
We understand that this must be disappointing, but unfortunately the buyer xxx, is no longer registered on eBay so we had to cancel all of their open transactions.

Here’s what you should do

• Don’t complete the sale or ship the item to xxx if you haven’t done so yet.
  • Don’t communicate any further with xxx, especially if they get in touch with you outside of eBay. 
  • If xxx requests a payment or refund, don’t send any money without contacting eBay first. If payment was processed, a refund has not been issued yet just in case you’ve already shipped the item.
  • If you already sent the item, contact the shipper to find out if you can stop the delivery and have the item returned to you.
  • If your listing has ended, you can relist your item.

And remember, we’re here to help so please get in touch with any questions you might have.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@iric4176 

They may have not been NARU when they placed the bid until eBay caught up with them.  Be thankful...eBay no doubt saved you a possible headache and a lot of grief from a very questionable bidder/buyer.  

Happy Selling

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@nichigh-1223 wrote:

We wanted to let you know that a bid for the listing below was canceled because of an issue with the buyer’s account:
We understand that this must be disappointing, but unfortunately the buyer xxx, is no longer registered on eBay so we had to cancel all of their open transactions.

• Don’t communicate any further with xxx, especially if they get in touch with you outside of eBay. 
  • If xxx requests a payment or refund, don’t send any money without contacting eBay first. If payment was processed, a refund has not been issued yet just in case you’ve already shipped the item.
  • If you already sent the item, contact the shipper to find out if you can stop the delivery and have the item returned to you.

And remember, we’re here to help so please get in touch with any questions you might have.

@nichigh-1223 

Thank you for sharing.   So the buyer did have an account when they started bidding but something happened after that which made Ebay concerned the buyer was a security risk.  This is a good thing.  We want Ebay to try and head off problems like this might have become.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I would like to add that the bidder was new  with 0 feedback. Another thing is they came back and bid again under an altered tag name that was still very similar to the original one and became the high bidder again with minutes to go in the auction. Sut someone sniped them in the end.

To answer the scam part of it, I felt that the legitimate bidders would feel that I was cheating by having a shill bidder bringing the bid up. I did not immediately know that eBay had canceled them. Still are the legal bidders made aware? That eBay canceled?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I agree this is a good thing. I’m very appreciative that they protect us like that. But what do I do if the funds actually show up in my account? And how do I get eBay to show it was canceled instead of showing I’m late with the shipment?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

A system that is broken and needs fixed!

If you're not a member, you should NOT be allowed to make bids, offers, or buy without a complete eBay registration and verification process. PayPal was able to provide this process. 

Most of the eBay notices to sellers of don't ship usually come weeks after the item has been shipped. 

All I can say is if you sell an item, do your homework on the buyer before shipping. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

eBay " booted " them off after they had placed the bid.  That often happens with scammers that have been banned on eBay but keep opening new accounts.  When eBay discovers it, they get removed again.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@nichigh-1223 wrote:

Canceling a BID is not the same as a canceling a sale???

Did the item end with a winner????

If they did not win then you would never have a need to ship the item.

Ebay's message is confusing.

I also think your problem is different than the original posters problem.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@nichigh-1223 wrote:

I agree this is a good thing. I’m very appreciative that they protect us like that. But what do I do if the funds actually show up in my account? And how do I get eBay to show it was canceled instead of showing I’m late with the shipment?

If you didn't ship it, then you need to refund it.  Because according to the email you got Ebay did NOT refund the buyer.

@nichigh-1223 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply