cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian buyer using US account

So a buyer who lives in Canada has a US ebay account and a US Paypal account, but his credit cards are Canadian-based cards. I do not sell internationally (because of the risk), but he thought if he used his American ebay account, he could bypass my international block. Now he's mad at me because Paypal will not allow him to use his Canadian card on my American transaction. Of course, he waited until a UPI case was opened before he started  complaining about not being able to make payment. His solution? To take the sale off ebay. Yeah, that's really not going to happen, fool. 

Here's a novel idea - don't open a fake account to bypass the rules, otherwise be mad at yourself for failing to deceive..

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Canadian buyer using US account

You are correct, in 10 years of selling, i have never been scammed. For that i am grateful, and sorry to know that your experience here is different. It is absolutely your right to block buyers as you see fit, for good reason or not.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@sabmar3896 wrote:
It's your fault for not just changing it so he can pay. Don't be a xenophobe

While I don't agree entirely with the OP's position, he doesn't want to take international payments for whatever reason.... higher exchange rates would be one I'm sure.  Someone who does not want to accept international payments does not a xenophobe make.

I personally do ship to some international locations and then there are some I don't.... That doesn't make me a xenophobe either.  Buyers in countries I don't ship to are welcome to utilize a freight forwarding service.  I have however had international buyers with US addresses purchase and then change the address in the payment to a country I do not ship to.... I'll cancel that sale every time.

I will also say that there is a very high percentage of international buyers who utilize a freight forwarding facility for the purpose of ripping sellers off.  Because of the price of the item I sell, I'm willing to take a chance.  On the other hand, if I were selling something like... say iphones, I would be blocking international payments as well.

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

I think what you are talking about is a cross boarder transaction? Had a similar buyer in Brazil who set up shipping to Miami,Fl. when i checked payment and address at PayPal site i noticed a larger rate charge on my end, i called PayPal and this is what they called it (cross boarder transaction with a card out of Brazil) Since i`am a small time seller i cancelled it with a note to the buyer( due to extra charge). and relisted the item, the buyer was so ticked of he went so far as to purchase the item again then cancel it himself and threaten bad feedback, so i block him and called Ebay customer service about it. problem GONE! Allot crazy people out there"
Message 18 of 37
latest reply

"There are over one MILLION Canadian that live in the USA part-time "

Then he should have provided an American credit card, and there would have been no issue selling to a Canadian.
Message 19 of 37
latest reply

Please explain exactly why you think this transaction has any more risk than if the buyer resided in the US? 

As a seller who sells frequently to Canadians who have US shipping addresses, I can see absolutely no greater risk than any US buyer. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 20 of 37
latest reply

Because - The squeakiest wheels are on another wagon.
Message 21 of 37
latest reply

@tracdea1 wrote:
That's the point, is that my listings block INTERNATIONAL PAYMENTS, and he refused to accept that. He wouldn't have even seen the listing at all if he had been on ebay Canada. So, he WAS trying to circumvent something by being on the USA site and trying to use a foreign credit card.

So if I understand you correctly - the buyer has a US eBay account, and an allowable US shipping address but went to pay on Paypal with a non US  method of payment?

I'm not sure why you think that the buyer should have been blocked from bidding.

FYI - I don't know how long ago that account was created, but prior to there being an eBay CANADA, all Canadian eBay members registered on eBay US and when eBay CANADA was created, those who already had accounts were offered the option to convert their account to a Canadian account or allow it to remain a US account.

I had 3 eBay accounts at the time and I left 2 of them as US accounts and converted one to a Canadian account.

Here's the thing though....Paypal allows its members to register all types of payment methods, and many members have both US and Canadian and other foreign payment accounts.  Since neither Paypal nor eBay knows in advance whether a buyer will pay with a non US or a US payment method, it's impractical for them to block that person from membership or the ability to purchase.

When I lived in Canada, I had multiple payment  avenues available to me, Canadian, Canadian/US (for instance Royal Bank of Canada offers US accounts that are in US $ and clear through the Chase Manhattan bank) and US (from accounts I opened in person in the US)     If I had been blocked from buying or restricted to seeing only eBay Canada, that would have been unfair and bad for business.

Fun Fact - this account that I'm posting with, created in 1998, was set up before there was an eBay Canada.  It's one of the accounts that I didn't switch to an eBay Canada account back in 2000-whatever.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@tracdea1 wrote:
not an unmovable rock, but I'm not going to jacked over by a foreigner, either.

Not when there are plenty of native-born members to jack sellers over?

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

@tracdea1 wrote:
not an unmovable rock, but I'm not going to jacked over by a foreigner, either.

Not when there are plenty of native-born members to jack sellers over?

Now THAT was funny... Sad truth, but still funny

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@tracdea1 wrote:

Then he should have provided an American credit card, and there would have been no issue selling to a Canadian.

Nowadays it's difficult to get a US Bank/Credit card if you aren't a legal resident. (And no, living in Florida for 6 months every year doesn't count, it's called a B2 visa which isn't valid for immigration residency status, they are simply visitors).

Banks also want SSN's, which Canadians can't get for the purpose of opening bank accounts, that's strictly if you are allowed to work.

Rules have changed since 9/11 so all the things that used to be easy to do no longer are.

FWIW, I have a USA bank account & credit card, but due to my residency being in Canada, everything I do will still show as an international payment.

Cheers, C.

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

Fun Fact - this account that I'm posting with, created in 1998, was set up before there was an eBay Canada.  It's one of the accounts that I didn't switch to an eBay Canada account back in 2000-whatever.

I've been grandfathered as well for having a 1998 USA account. (My business partner joined in 1999 and his account is Canadian, but I don't know if it started that way or he switched it).

I moved to the US in 2000 though and stayed for three years, so when all this switching over was happening it didn't apply to me. When I came back I found it easier just to keep the account I already have.

Cheers, C.

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@tracdea1 wrote:

Nowadays it's difficult to get a US Bank/Credit card if you aren't a legal resident. (And no, living in Florida for 6 months every year doesn't count, it's called a B2 visa which isn't valid for immigration residency status, they are simply visitors).

Banks also want SSN's, which Canadians can't get for the purpose of opening bank accounts, that's strictly if you are allowed to work.

Rules have changed since 9/11 so all the things that used to be easy to do no longer are.

FWIW, I have a USA bank account & credit card, but due to my residency being in Canada, everything I do will still show as an international payment.

Cheers, C.

Try RBC  (Royal Bank in Canada and RBC Centura in the USA)   The US arm of the bank doesn't have a physical presence in the US any more, and is strictly online (based in Georgia)  but the two are connected.  If you google RBC it'll invite you to log in to either the US or the Canadian site, or to create an account in either country for cross-border transactions.   

Things may have changed recently, but while I was still a Canadian citizen, RBC accepted my social insurance number and I used my account as if it were a US account, including on both eBay and on Paypal) in fact, I still do, although I have since changed to a social security number, but nothing changed with either eBay or Paypal when I did so.  RBC is specifically around for cross-border people and is set up to accept both Canadian SINs and US SSNs.

As I say - things may have changed since I opened that account but I still use Royal Bank and RBC interchangeably online as my primary methods of doing pretty much 100% of my financial transactions.

Just a suggestion in case you haven't already checked it out.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@tracdea1 wrote:

Cheers, C.

Try RBC  (Royal Bank in Canada and RBC Centura in the USA)   The US arm of the bank doesn't have a physical presence in the US any more, and is strictly online (based in Georgia)  but the two are connected.  If you google RBC it'll invite you to log in to either the US or the Canadian site, or to create an account in either country for cross-border transactions.   

Things may have changed recently, but while I was still a Canadian citizen, RBC accepted my social insurance number and I used my account as if it were a US account, including on both eBay and on Paypal) in fact, I still do, although I have since changed to a social security number, but nothing changed with either eBay or Paypal when I did so.  RBC is specifically around for cross-border people and is set up to accept both Canadian SINs and US SSNs.

As I say - things may have changed since I opened that account but I still use Royal Bank and RBC interchangeably online as my primary methods of doing pretty much 100% of my financial transactions.

Just a suggestion in case you haven't already checked it out.

I'm with KeyBank in New York right now (it was the best choice at the time, I was able to drive to NY and there are branches in Idaho and Utah where I spent a lot of time when I wasn't at work).

My KeyBank is joint though, and since I can't unjoin it, I'm thinking of closing it and opening a new account.

Cheers, C.

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

@tracdea1 wrote:

I did not say he was using a fake account. It's an established account within a country in which he does not reside.

I have my PP settings not to accept foreign payment methods. A credit card issued outside of the US is a FOREIGN PAYMENT METHOD.
The point here is that if he would have had an American credit card, he wouldn't have had any issues. but he's trying to blame me because PAYPAL will not process his payment based on my account settings. How is it my fault that I am in the USA, I ONLY sell to people in the USA, and I accept payment methods from the USA - and he's not IN THE USA.

Actually you did insinuate that he was using a fake account.

"Here's a novel idea - don't open a fake account to bypass the rules, otherwise be mad at yourself for failing to deceive."

Did the buyer actually tell you that he had a US ebay and PP account or are you assuming? He wouldn't need a US account to make the purchase as long as he had a US address.  I'm not certain but if he had a US PP account, I would think that he would also have a US funding source.  And since they wouldn't need a US account to buy from you, I doubt that they created one in order to deceive.

Regardless, we obviously see things differently as I am one of those 'foreigners' that you refer to.   I honestly don't understand what the problem is with allowing someone from another country to have their item shipped to a US  address but ultimately it's your decision.  However, I am offended by your insinuations that because a buyer with a US address is from another country, they must be trying to scam you and/or they are being dishonest.  

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

Look, I do not accept foreign payment methods and foreign orders, based on my Paypal settings and my ebay settings.
Paypal and ebay no longer communicate that any more since it is not longer an option to require a Paypal account. So although buyers intend to pay using a non-US payment method, ebay can no longer recognize that and block buyers from viewing listings that they cannot purchase.
In this case, if the buyer had contacted me first, and not been so rude in his message to me because he couldn't understand why PAYPAL (not I) rejected his payment based on our company policy, I might not have been suspicious of his intentions in the first place, but I detected a tone and saw that he manipulates with his feedback left for others - there was no way I was going to bend rules for him. And it's guys like him that prompted us to have a "no international sales" policy to begin with.
Through this thread, I now know that there is a major lack of communication between this platform and the gateway. So if ebay is trying not to upset buyers, they might want to fix this.
Message 30 of 37
latest reply