cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can buyers leave negative feedback because seller did not leave feedback for them?

I recently had a buyer leave me a negative feedback. His reasoning for this was "Does Not leave Feedback". So, he gave me negative feedback because I did not leave any for him. I was pretty shocked! So, I called eBay asking them to remove it, because its an unvalid reason to give me negative feedback. The eBay assistant, however, told me that they will not remove it. That is very unfair. Do note that the buyer did not  contact me at all.

What do I do?

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Can buyers leave negative feedback because seller did not leave feedback for them?

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

There used to be a written rule that this kind of feedback qualified for removal. Last I heard it's still removable under one of Ebays unwritten rules but finding a rep who follows written rules are hard enough so I imagine trying to get one to follow an unwritten one is basically impossible.  

See that's the thing...they can leave it for any reason, valid or not valid.

You can have an unreasonable buyer leaving feedback for an invalid reason with vauge text and it is entirely un-removable...EVEN if you have messages back and forth about why they are leaving the feedback.

Of course with the right CSR any ebay "rule" is as maleable as butter or as unbending as steel.

Message 31 of 82
latest reply

Re: Can buyers leave negative feedback because seller did not leave feedback for them?

I would try to call ebay again.  Leaving feedback isn't a part of the actual transaction since it is voluntary.    This is what ebay documents as their policy.

"While feedback is intended as an open forum, we have guidelines and policies to ensure it's used constructively and fairly."

This buyer's feedback fails to do either.

If you have met all the other conditions for a successful transaction this behavior should be considered abusive since it was not part of the actual transaction. I would keep calling until you find a CS that will remove it.

Message 32 of 82
latest reply

Since feedback is voluntary - I would call ebay again and ask to again to have it removed - ask to speak with a supervisor. 

If they still refuse to do so - I would respond to the neg with "leaving fweedback on ebay has always been voluntary".  

Message 33 of 82
latest reply

There wasn't anything vague about the buyers feedback. 

His statement was:

"Does not Leave Feedback"

Clearly this demonstrates that was his only complaint.

Message 34 of 82
latest reply

As a seller, as soon as a buyer pays I leave them positive feedback. Instantly. They've done their part, now it is my turn to perform.
Message 35 of 82
latest reply

Yes.

An invalid reason for feedback.

Easily removed...or not easily removed depending on what day it is, what ebay policies have been changed, written or unwritten and what CSR you get in which country you get.

Roll dice.

Message 36 of 82
latest reply

@vintagedragonfly61 wrote:
I know how you feel. Today I got my first negative because I didn't give the buyer a feedback right after they paid. I checked their feedback and they have given a lot of negatives to sellers. Ebay won't remove it nor will they do anything about it and I have called them 3 times hoping one of the reps would see this as being wrong! Its unfair and not right. Buyers can do whatever they want, since they know we can't give them a negative feedback and some misuse the system!

It sounds like they asked you for feedback and you didn't give it.  If so, I equate that to ignoring a speeding train's whistle.

Message 37 of 82
latest reply

EBay really ought to remove it.  If they won't, I might respond, "I'm sorry I cannot leave you the feedback you deserve." 

Message 38 of 82
latest reply

@productpier wrote:

I checked the  buyer's profile, and he gave a different seller neutral feedback today, also saying "Does not leave feedback". He did also give another seller positive feedback, but his comment was "Too much money". 

Cumulatively, besides those two feedbacks above, what sort of a track record does he show in his previous feedbacks left for others? Is there, as I suspect, a number of similar negative complaints in his past?

Message 39 of 82
latest reply

Because ebay constantly changers their policies, this may be different now.  Eight years ago, I had the same thing happen to me, and the ebay rep I spoke to aboutit, DID remone the buyer's FB.  The rep proceeded to tell me that this buyer had "performed in a manner, incongruent with ebay policy", and poof!  That FB was gone!  Of course the ebay rep I spoke with was state-side.  I'd just keep trying.  Though a sympathetic rep is rare...They are out there.

Message 40 of 82
latest reply

Hi!

@productpier

The best way to get negs removed is to quote a specific, appropriate eBay policy when you call CS.

(& Be polite, brief and simple in your request.)

Look at your buyers feedback left for others. Does the offending buyer frequently leave negs? If the same type? If so have two policy shots at getting this one removed under the policy.

In this case, the first eBay policy that applies is  (ebay’s written policy quoted here)- “leaving feedback is completely voluntary.” 

In conjunction with this, if buyer frequently leaves neg feedback, or neg fb of this same wording, the policy of   

seller abuse, this can strengthen your case for removal.

Here is the exact wording eBay uses:

(Quote this to the Rep:) “Feedback is intended as a way to let our members share their experiences with other members. Using it as a way to force other members to do things they aren't obligated to do is a misuse of feedback, and we don't allow it.“

tip - to find ebay policy easily, google these quotes.

best of luck!

update us how it goes if you can.

rokk

Message 41 of 82
latest reply

Just saw this on a seller's listing today.

Some sellers are clueless.

Seller since May 2017.

Feedback: Our system gives you positive feedback automatically when you have left us positive feedback and leaves you negative feedback if you leave us negative feedback

Message 42 of 82
latest reply

Such a ridiculous reason for a negative, and eBay doesn't have your back as a seller.
Think of that the next time you hear "seller protection."

Message 43 of 82
latest reply

Perhaps it's time to return to the pre-2008 days, considering  the new breed of buyers over the past year, utilizing extortion to obtain partial or full refunds, and lying about the reason for a return to get out of paying for return shipping.
As a top rated plus seller, we've had more problem buyers is the last year than we've had in the previous 10+ years combined. 
We haven't changed...the attitude of today's buyer has changed.

Message 44 of 82
latest reply

@productpier,

I would leave a carefully worded response to that negative, like this:

I’m glad this transaction went so well that you had nothing to complain about.

Anyone reading the feedback already knows that you did nothing to deserve it, and it only reflects badly on the buyer who left it. But this way, you are turning an apparent negative into a positive, and it shows that you are a great person to deal with even when a customer is being difficult (and you have a sense of humor).

I'm pretty sure the limit for feedback is 80 characters since you have a positive that is 80 characters. The suggested response is 78 characters, so you shouldn't have a problem using it.

Message 45 of 82
latest reply