cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a seller still see your messages AFTER they blocked you? I'm guessing no, but I want to be sure

OK, so a weird thing / series of the same thing happened in just the last week that I haven't encountered in my many years on ebay: I was BLOCKED by no fewer than 3 sellers!

Before you go thinking "well, you're clearly the problem here" I will give you a rundown of how it all went:

1st one: I very politely asked if I could get a better price on a used £30 item which I happen to know will be very hard to sell, as it's outdated technology in a field where the money moves with the new stuff; it's also in the upper price bracket for items in that sector. They clearly agreed with my assessment and came back with £27. I accepted and then very politely mentioned some packing tips, purely because I had been sent THAT VERY DAY an item (bike cog set - cassette) loose in just a card Amazon envelope, no bubble wrap, no anything, not even some string to hold all the clinking parts together. This is what I said, word for word, copy & pasted:

"OK, let's do it - I'll buy it tonight once you amend it - will you pack it up in a decent amount of bubblewrap and a card box? Or double-jiffy bagging it, that might also do it - I want it to get to me in the same shape as it is now 🙂 Do you use RM or Evri?"

Reasonable and polite, no? But it clearly got his back up; his EXACT response:

"Hello.

Bit demanding on your packing request.

I do know how to package a parcel. What do you think I going to tie a label on it and post it! Good luck in your search for the part you require."

ANNNND... block!

But I NEVER KNEW this at that point. (It could be inferred, I suppose, BUT I didn't think this happens, I just thought he was refusing to sell to me and that was all.)

But really, HOW MARDY do you have to be to turn down a sale that's in the bag over a perfectly normal and  POLITE request / packing tip? Yes, I can see it might seem a touch insulting IF you're a great packer, but then, I have had MANY, MANY horror stories with sellers packing SHOCKINGLY (one that I even received earlier that very day too!) which is why I sent this basically throw-away comment, and I then tried to explain this very situation in 4 separate messages before working out that I was BLOODY BLOCKED! 

The second one was over a £50 hub - I needed to know a few things so was asking a bunch of questions, which maybe was a bit much, but it's this new, conversational ebay message system, you see, it clearly encourages this to some extent...

At the end of a relaxed convo (5 messages stretched over a few HOURS, BTW), I asked him if he would measure whether if the flanges were symmetrically placed on the axle - a simple matter of using a ruler on a flat surface! He says "I don't own a ruler" (lol, what? but ok) "I use a measuring tape". SAME THING, buddy! (I never said this, of course). "and I'm not with the hub right now" OK, I say, no problem, I can wait, please let me know, I AM INTERESTED. (this convo is a bit more paraphrased)

Day and a half passes, I get back to him to see what's up, he says (EXACT QUOTE:)

"Never got back to you because I offered you a deal and you still wanted more cheaper so no I refuse the right to sale."

Now, the hub was on a Best Offer. I NEVER ONCE ASKED FOR A DEAL, but HAD received a fair(ish) offer of £40 early on. I was mulling it over, but I NEVER SAID NO, nor did I bring it up - this was purely because sometimes the ebay system sends out automated offers!

This guy is a less than unimpeacheable seller, pretty poor from reading his FB - 9 negs over 685 FBs - and I feel his attitude confirms it.  Come on, AITA here??

THIRD and final one (this is a short one, lol):

I was browsing another pro seller's offerings [ ] when I spotted a mistake in one of their listings and very helpfully messaged to mention the cog they were selling was not stainless steel, but chromed steel. (I know, no good deed goes unpunished, and I did have a bit too much time on my hands)

Their immediate auto-reply:

"Hi,

Apologies for this pre-written message.

We now have automatic system that puts on a blocklist all users that send a message before payment. This is because return requests and partial refund demands increase by 500% for those accounts and our number one priority is to keep the ebay account free of 'defects' that ebay introduced some time in the past.

Also all items are SKU stored away so man-hours required for double checking and answering messages have become costly over time.

Once again, my apologies. I am sure you are not one of them but we have to apply it to everybody to have the desired results so unfortunately you will have to move on to another seller.

Sorry

The seller may well be correct in their assessment (though how accurate can your data be after 1132 transactions is a bit debatable) and I'm sure some professional sellers might be somewhat sympathetic, but  it's still a horrible, rude thing to do (and in this case, CLEARLY counter-productive AND PLAIN NASTY, as NOWHERE do they mention you'll be blocked for asking a simple question, clearly looking to entrap people by instantly rooting out ANY BUYER who is LESS THAN INSTANTLY 100% SURE OF THEIR PURCHASE (they sell USED items, BTW!). Crazy!

I mean, you COULD just NOT REPLY if replying is so costly, right? Why BLOCK potential BUYERS?? SO stupid.

This is basically the last bastion of gross discrimination! It's like "we won't refuse to serve black / gay / old / women but we WILL refuse anyone who isn't ZERO extra work for us than the absolute bare minimum"

This surely cannot be right. I am so sad and annoyed by all this. This world was already going to hell in a handbasket, as we all can plainly see, but this is yet another nasty little nail in its coffin.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Can a seller still see your messages AFTER they blocked you? I'm guessing no, but I want to be s

The ability to block buyers whom the seller perceives to be a problem buyer, is one of the few protections that sellers have left.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Re: Can a seller still see your messages AFTER they blocked you? I'm guessing no, but I want to be s

No offense but if you are this worked up and this wordy over the situation, the sellers probably "sensed" there were potential problems and blocked you. Sellers are at a DISadvantage. The only protections they seem to have is the blocked bidder lists, which can potentially be still worked around. 

As someone who has sold in the past, and dealt with more than a little shenanigans over that time, I can understand where the seller is coming from. One tends to become a bit jaded after getting hosed more than a few times. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Sorry but sellers have to protect themselves and one of the ways they can do that is to block potentially problematic buyers. I am not saying you are a problematic buyer but from experience, buyers that nitpick and are finicky usually mean issues down the road and we sellers want to avoid that.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Great, more piling on from sellers  - I'm a seller too, BTW - and not one of you has actually answered the QUESTION AT THE TOP, which is the entire reason that precipitated my oh-so-wordy post. (blame me for that too, why don't you! What a horrible problem, to have a fully laid-out explanation of three separate issues, what a monster I am!)

So when reading a book, do you folks resent it if it goes over a hundred pages or what?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

While that may be sad and ebay should be blamed, it's not really a solution to anything, is it?

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@squidward.woodward wrote:

Can a seller still see your messages AFTER they blocked you? I'm guessing no, but I want to be sure

Here on the .com site, the seller can see messages sent prior to the block. They will not receive messages the buyer sends after the buyer is added to their blocked list.

If you'd like to find out whether ebay.co.uk operates the same you can post your question on community.ebay.co.uk @squidward.woodward .

The seller may well be correct in their assessment (though how accurate can your data be after 1132 transactions is a bit debatable)

You don't know that's the seller's only account.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Yet the 3 cases I very clearly laid out were all unjustified and ridiculous, which was the point of my oh-so-very-wordy post (what a monster I am for going to the trouble of fully laying it all out!)

Come on, you know that this is all very stupid, and being blocked without the right to reply feels extremely unjustified and unfair and is the sign of a very intractable attitude, ie the EXACT OPPOSITE of a flexible one that a good seller should possess - I learned this from my many Twitter discussions with Trump fanatics and Brexit-loving flag-sha&&ers - guess what? They ALWAYS block!

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Oops, I didn't realise this was a US-specific forum, despite the ".com", I thought I was just going to the ebay community forum...

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Sellers are buyers too.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

"While that may be sad and ebay should be blamed, it's not really a solution to anything, is it?"

It certainly is the solution for the seller.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Oops, I didn't realise this was a US-specific forum, despite the ".com", I thought I was just going to the ebay community forum...

You're certainly welcome to post here any time for any reason @squidward.woodward and have heated debates about 'to block or not to block'. 😉

Since policies and procedures can differ between the various eBay sites, it's generally best to post on your "home" community forum when you have a question about site specifics to make sure you're getting info that's most relevant to your situation.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

If you wanted your original question answered, you should just post the question without all the 3 example situations.

No. After a seller blocks you, they will be unable to see your messages.

eBay used to be a place that required communication between buyers and sellers. We'd talk to eachother.

But now it's so automated, that really if you start a long back and forth conversation. Chances are, you're going to be a problem buyer. If you feel the needs to micromanage how items are sent to you by telling them how to pack an item, I'd probably block you too. I'd block you but never give you the courtesy of telling you you'd been blocked.

Chances are, if your customers are this much maintenance pre-sale... it won't get any better post-sale. And you sound like one of those potential customers that would be nothing but a headache post-sale.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@squidward.woodward 

This is basically the last bastion of gross discrimination! It's like "we won't refuse to serve black / gay / old / women but we WILL refuse anyone who isn't ZERO extra work for us than the absolute bare minimum"

Not it’s not.

Also, overly verbose buyers make many sellers nervous. If your messages to the sellers were anything like this post, I understand the block.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

You're NTA in any of the 3 scenarios, but ebay's heavily buyer centric system has a lot of sellers on a hair trigger and blocking is their first & last line of defence.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 15 of 20
latest reply