cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers abusing cancelation to get free feedback

I know most of you will have noticed a huge increase in canceled transactions over the past year. My worst day was a month ago with 5 cancelations. I wont get started on the huge increase in fraudulent returns as that's a rant for another day.

I've noticed that some of these buyer cancelations seem to just be used to get free feedback (buying the cheapest item) which is rather annoying since their "free feedback" costs me $0.30 in paypal fees every time.  Luckily paypal "for now" backed off on not refunding any fees at all on canceled transactions or it would be a nightmare come true. 

eBay needs to remove all feedback when an item is canceled by the buyer and accepted by the seller. That would put a dead stop to people using it for free feedback.  In-fact I'd be far more happy if ebay did away with the buyer cancelation option. Its just making buyer less and less responsible, in a world where they barely even read the title let alone the description.

This is not my selling account...

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

If a buyer buys and pays for item, then want's to cancel, why would you give them feedback, since you could only give them positive feedback.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 46
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

If a buyer buys and pays for item, then want's to cancel, why would you give them feedback ... .

Many sellers are set up to automatically give feedback when payment is received.  So the feedback would be on the buyer's record immediately, before they request the cancellation.

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Just received the message from PayPal that the withholding of fees is back on as of Oct 11th.  No clarity yet about the exceptions.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Besides ebay I sell on another site also and they are going to implement a fee for cancellations to slow down the abuse.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Yes, I agree that eBay needs to look carefully at this and remove Feedback for transactions that were cancelled by the Buyer for no reason, or an incorrect reason.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

Yes it's back on the books. I found out right after I wrote this. I will drop paypal as soon as possible if they want to keep all fees for refunded payments. No other payment processor does that.

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

I simply leave feedback once a week at least try to at least once a week in bulk to all the items delivered. Once I see item is delivered I check box and go down the row and then leave feedback all at once. Takes care of that. I don't leave feedback automatically since all we can leave is positive. So if transaction wasn't great, I leave nothing, and sometimes I have had requests from buyers to please NOT leave feedback since they are reselling on here or whatever the case is. Once a buyer asked me to not leave feedback right after they paid, they messaged me saying please dont leave feedback, I don't want wife to know i purchased this. So sometimes doing the automatic feedback is not always a good idea becasue some ppl don't even want it. That is why I do it the way I do it. I don't care if they leave it for me or not. IF its delivered, I leave feedback. IF they choose to leave for me too , great, if not thats fine too. SOme buyers don't leave feedback ever for anyone. I have checked.
Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

If a buyer buys and pays for item, then want's to cancel, why would you give them feedback ... .

Many sellers are set up to automatically give feedback when payment is received.  So the feedback would be on the buyer's record immediately, before they request the cancellation.

Which is one of the reason why I do not allow my FB to auto post.

But even for those that choose auto post.  They do not have to do it right after payment.  There are other options.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

@ibuyyoulongtime wrote:

Yes it's back on the books. I found out right after I wrote this. I will drop paypal as soon as possible if they want to keep all fees for refunded payments. No other payment processor does that.

"Drop" them???  How the heck do you plan to do that?  You aren't going to be able to do that here on Ebay.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

I simply leave feedback once a week at least try to at least once a week in bulk to all the items delivered.

I leave feedback on shipment, and include the date of shipping in the FB. I believe this gives my buyers more confidence, since I rarely track anything (non-US seller-- you guys have incredibly cheap tracking).

But the OP's problem with "free feedback" would be solved by dropping the automatic FB option.

Personally, I think feedback is a leftover from the early days of the internet and should be dropped entirely in favour of a running total of successful transactions.  If there is no Dispute, won or lost, the member's number of transactions rises. If there is a Dispute, there is no addition to either buyer or seller.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

Ebay has already started to implement their new payment system. Once its fully in place (probably over a year from now) I will probably fully switch to it. 

I'm investing more away from ebay every day anyways because I know it's going down the hole slowly. 

I will look into the options for auto feedback (probably been years since I looked at them) I just can't be bothered do it manually as its hundreds of sales a week. 

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

@ibuyyoulongtime wrote:

Ebay has already started to implement their new payment system. Once its fully in place (probably over a year from now) I will probably fully switch to it. 

I'm investing more away from ebay every day anyways because I know it's going down the hole slowly. 

I will look into the options for auto feedback (probably been years since I looked at them) I just can't be bothered do it manually as its hundreds of sales a week. 

If I had hundreds of sales a week buyer free feedback would not be a concern.

I do not see the logic in a "buy and cancel" for meaningless buyer feedback. Not sure that I think that is happening.

I'm more inclined to believe that eBay displayed an item for a lower cost right after purchase prompting the cancel request. Something that did not show during their search, or they did not search well enough for it to display.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Which is one of the reason why I do not allow my FB to auto post.

But even for those that choose auto post.  They do not have to do it right after payment.  There are other options.

eBay's feedback system is totally useless and has been for a decade now. 

The only people believing the feedbacks are new customers who don't understand how this all works. 

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@ibuyyoulongtime wrote:

"Drop" them???  How the heck do you plan to do that?  You aren't going to be able to do that here on Ebay.

Simple. They'll switch to square or another payment processor that doesn't do that. 

Message 15 of 46
latest reply