cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer with 0 feedback cancels order and then lowballs me.

I put an item up for auction that was doing pretty well and getting bids from a variety of ebay users. A user with 0 feedback ended up winning the auction. However, as soon as the auction ended, the user requested to cancel the order (no payment yet) and then sent me a message asking if they could have the item for 30% less than what their final bid was. Is there anything I can do about this other than give an offer to the next highest bidder? I haven't lost any money on this but it's really frustrating that someone can waste my time so easily. As someone with an account that does not have a lot of feedback yet, this would also set off red flags for the next bidder down the line and will make the item harder to sell.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Buyer with 0 feedback cancels order and then lowballs me.

@ittybitnot wrote:

You're right @pburn. If the buyer goes through the official cancelation request flow within the first hour of winning the item and the seller denies their request, they won't be able to process another one for non-payment. 

velvet@ebay 

So what happens if the seller is asleep when the request comes in, and thus simply ignores it?  They are not DENYING a request per se.  Would the cancellation for non-payment then NEVER appear for the seller. or an automatic cancellation never occur? 

Sorry for any confusion with my last post @ittybitnot. If the seller ignores the official request then one of two scenarios play out:

If the buyer hasn't paid, it's canceled as if the seller accepted it. It will not be considered an unpaid cancelation.

If the buyer paid, then eBay will close it similar to a denial from the seller, and the seller will be expected to fulfil the transaction like normal. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 31 of 38
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@stacy_1971 wrote:

Ummm I don't think so....   Just because you request to cancel a bid AFTER the auction is Over....  "Auction Winner" suggests AFTER the auction was over.  That doesn't mean that the seller has to accept your cancellation.  BEFORE the auction ends is another thing.... but AFTER?!   NOPE>   

@stacy_1971 

LOL.

Did you read the OP's first post? And the information you pasted?

The member has already won the auction. S/he's not asking to have a bid cancelled, s/he's asking for the transaction to be cancelled. None of the information you copy/pasted has any relevance whatsoever to the OP's situation, since it addresses only bid cancellations by buyers or sellers.

Of course the OP can accept or decline the cancellation request. I didn't say anything to the contrary. What I said was if the OP declines the cancellation request, s/he will NOT be able to use the nonpayment cancellation option at a later date.

Technically, under most state's auction laws this buyer could be sued for beaching the auction agreement.  However, this is not usually economically feasible.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 32 of 38
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@pburn wrote:

velvet@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

Please add to my request for clarification whether the policy in question relates to fixed-price listings only, or also includes auction listings.

"That scenario you posted, has to do with a cancellation request on a PURCHASE, NOT AN AUCTION.  They are completely different bro."

Thanks!

You're right @pburn. If the buyer goes through the official cancelation request flow within the first hour of winning the item and the seller denies their request, they won't be able to process another one for non-payment. 

If the seller never responds to the official cancelation request, then eBay will close the request. If the buyer hasn't paid, it's canceled automatically. If they paid, then the seller will fulfil the transaction like normal. I'll include a link to the help page here and screen shot of where it notes this:

velvetebay_0-1652305097875.png

If the buyer requests a cancelation via eBay Messaging however, and the seller originally denies their request, they could decide to cancel the transaction later; as long as it's within 30-days of the sale taking place.

As for there being a distinction between fixed price listings and auctions, there isn't one. The cancelation procedure works the same for both types of listing formats. 

Actually, I believe that you are in error regarding there not being a distinction between fixed price listings and auctions.  In most of the states in which I'm licensed there is a considerable distinction whether eBay recognizes it or not.  Many states have auction laws treating electronic bidding the same as bidding live and both parties are subject to completing the transaction according the terms of the auction agreement or face litigation.  While this is usually not economically feasible, it is a possibility and thus it isn't as simple as merely canceling an order.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 33 of 38
latest reply

I check periodically my bids on my auctions. I look for anything out of the ordinary.

Like someone making 20 bids on my auction or someone with 0 feedback and so on.

Sometimes relisting an auction can have a higher winning bid from my experience.

I would block person and move on.

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Many states have auction laws treating electronic bidding the same as bidding live and both parties are subject to completing the transaction according the terms of the auction agreement or face litigation.  

Frankly, the state of those laws of auction need not apply as alas, eBay auctions are not auctions.

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

I am extremely disappointed to learn that a buyer can bid all week on an auction, then after the auction is over with and they won the auction, they can request a cancellation, and sellers are forced to cancel the transaction, with no repercussions to the buyer who agreed to pay for the item and committed to the sale by bidding to begin with.  I guess that's another reason why it's good that I don't do auctions hardly ever.  However; now that I hear that they can do the same thing with "Buy it Now".  I have my listings as immediate payment required, but that doesn't include "Best Offer".  THIS is a problem I already brought up long ago.  The inability to require "immediate payments" with "Best Offer".  Because now, the buyer can wait 3 days or more, and then decide they don't want to pay for it (or don't have money in their bank account), and can then request a cancellation and we have to grant it.  Even if we don't, no problem... buyer still does not get an unpaid item strike.  I was only here reading these forums because my sales are so down.   If my sales weren't so lack-luster and views next to nil, I wouldn't have had the time to waste here.  Perhaps it's time to look for another venue.  All this time I have spent defending eBay and guidelines... and well this, this makes me look like the fool.

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

@stacy_1971 wrote:

I have my listings as immediate payment required, but that doesn't include "Best Offer".  The inability to require "immediate payments" with "Best Offer".  

@stacy_1971 

In the 2022 Winter Seller Update and again in the 2022 Spring Seller Update, eBay announced the roll out of requiring immediate payment on offers and counteroffers.

2022 Winter Seller Update 

In October 2021, we piloted a new process for collecting payment from a buyer automatically following acceptance of their offer. To do this we asked the buyer for payment and shipping details in the Best Offer flows. In the coming weeks, we plan to expand our coverage and include more buyers, which should further reduce unpaid items from buyer offers.

By mid-year we will also start collecting payment details in other Best Offer scenarios, including counteroffers and Offers to buyers. These changes will be applied automatically for buyers, so you don't need to update or make changes to your listings.

2022 Spring Seller Update 

In the 2022 Winter Seller Update, you learned about our continued work to reduce unpaid items by automatically collecting payment from buyers when their Best Offer is accepted.

We’re excited to keep the momentum going by expanding these efforts to other Best Offer scenarios, including Offers to Buyers and counter offers. Later this year, buyers will also be able to request bundled offers on multiple items when they make a Best Offer.

We hope these changes will help you reduce operational costs and spend less time dealing with unpaid items, so that you have more time to focus on growing your business.

What’s changing?

Later this year, we’ll start asking buyers to pay when they accept a seller's Offer to Buyer or a counter offer.

@stacy_1971 wrote:

Because now, the buyer can wait 3 days or more, and then decide they don't want to pay for it (or don't have money in their bank account), and can then request a cancellation and we have to grant it.  

That is not correct. Perhaps you misunderstood the previous posts. Buyers do not have three days to request a cancellation that the seller must grant. Buyers must submit an official request (not just a message through the eBay messaging system) for cancellation through the eBay system within one hour --not three days--of the transaction (purchase via the checkout system on a fixed price item, or the end of the auction for an auction listing). Sellers have three days to approve or decline.

From Message #9, above:

"IF THE AUCTION WINNER SUBMITTED A CANCELLATION REQUEST THROUGH THE PROPER EBAY CHANNELS WITHIN THE FIRST HOUR OF THE END OF THE AUCTION, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE CANCELLATION FOR UNPAID TRANSACTIONS.

eBay considers a cancellation submitted within the first hour as a request that should be honored by a seller and will, therefore, not allow you cancel for nonpayment."

From Message #18, above:

"You're right @pburn. If the buyer goes through the official cancelation request flow within the first hour of winning the item and the seller denies their request, they won't be able to process another one for non-payment. "

From Message #26, above:

"The buyer has one hour to submit an official cancellation request to the seller.

The seller has three days to respond."

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

I had a bidder that I had to file a NPB claim on then block created a new bidder ID three more times to attempt to purchase the same item each time I relisted it. 

E-Bay was useless in doing anything; I just stopped listing the item. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The two most common elements in the world are hydrogen and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison
Message 38 of 38
latest reply