cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to switch payment method after paying and I have shipped???

Buyer Wrote via ebay messages:

“Hi calntom, I sent you a payment using the wrong payment card last night. I need to correct this. Can you send me a payment correction or new payment request for this item. Thanks”

This deal sounds fishy. Anyone experience this before? How to respond? 

Transaction through paypal, payment was confirmed. Package has already shipped via UPS Ground. $121.07 purchase of TV Mount with free shipping.

For whatever this is worth:

I also did notice before I shipped this morning that this buyer has left 3 negs in a row during the past year for previous purchases. Only has ever leave 4 total feedbacks for others. Has a 45 rating. 

(Buyer account open since 2012)

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Buyer wants to switch payment method after paying and I have shipped???

@calntom wrote:

Buyer just added another message ~30 minutes later

Buyer Wrote:

"Calntom, I want to do business with you. But I need this on my MasterCard. The Merchant will not accept a credit card payment."

Unbelievable! I would be wary of doing anything with this buyer. It almost seems that they have nefarious intentions.

Message 31 of 55
latest reply

My FREE advice:

Do what the buyer is asking.

Message 32 of 55
latest reply

@de.duct wrote:

My FREE advice:

What is the buyer asking of the OP? Seems like many different changing requests.

"Can you send me a payment correction"

"Disregard my last message. I'll fix it. I have three cards on file I sent the wrong number."

""Hi Calntom, I will need to return the wall mount to you since we cannot change the payment method."

"Calntom, I want to do business with you. But I need this on my MasterCard"

Message 33 of 55
latest reply

@de.duct wrote:

My FREE advice:

This ^^^^^^^

Send a money request or invoice via PayPal for the full amount, when the buyer pays it refund the original payment.

Last step would be to check the order on eBay if after the refund is made it shows as unpaid then just use the option "mark as paid".

You get your money and the buyer gets to send the second payment using the card they want to use plus when you refund the card they used the first time will be refunded.

End result, you have the money and the buyer has the charge on the preferred credit card.

Or you can do nothing and either have the buyer request a return or waste money asking USPS to recall the package, in either case your sale goes down the drain AND it will cost you money (recall fee and original shipping).

Doing as suggested above keeps the sale and reduces your loses to the 30 cents that PayPal doesn't refund

Message 34 of 55
latest reply

calntom just send the paypal money request nothing in the message box total will be the same amount you're going to be refunding to the email address they used in the original payment. I've label them a pest and we'll be working in pest control mode now...

Message 35 of 55
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

calntom just send the paypal money request nothing in the message box total will be the same amount you're going to be refunding to the email address they used in the original payment. I've label them a pest and we'll be working in pest control mode now...

We are driving back to town now. Not easy doing this from a phone....

I noticed the paypal account said it was unverified. Dont know what that meant.

Buyer also sent another message with an email addy for another paypal account in order to send the payment request. It does not match the paypal that he originally paid with. 

I can probably sort this all out when I get back to my desktop...

Any other thoughts are welcomed.

Message 36 of 55
latest reply

No good deed goes unpunished. 

Message 37 of 55
latest reply

@slippinjimmy @bubbleman2010 and anyone else.

I noticed the paypal account that the original payment was made from said it was unverified. Dont know what that means.  Can you actually send money to an unverified account?

Buyer also sent even another message with an email addy for another paypal account in order to send the payment request. It does not match the paypal that he originally paid with. He sent that this afternoon. 

I am going to deal with this when I get back in front of my desktop later. Just looking for more info before I get back.

Message 38 of 55
latest reply

calntom just follow this info to a T when you get home... Once thats done do nothing else just sit back and wait its kinda like playing checkers....   calntom just send the paypal money request nothing in the message box total will be the same amount you're going to be refunding to the email address they used in the original payment. I've label them a pest and we'll be working in pest control mode now...

Message 39 of 55
latest reply

This is really getting ridiculous.

Buyer sent this message just a bit ago:

"Standby on this. I am waiting for a call. As I said I am doing my best to fix this. This is the first time I have been in a situation like this. A simple invoice to my PayPal would have corrected this. This is just a payment correction. I made the mistake, but going forward I have removed the debit cards on file. To be sure that that is the form of payment I am using. I will be in touch. Thanks"

Sent by buyer while I was out today:

I have alerted ebay and PayPal to the situation. The original cancellation was attempted the very next day after the sell. I tried to make it work due to the shipping circumstances. I am a reasonable guy. By your description you also appeared to be. But it was not until I said I could keep the item until you responded. This is not the way to treat a customer. I need help with this. I simply asked to change the payment arrangement. Yes this can be done. You just need to send a money request with the product description and ebay id. Again I am being ignored. I will advise PayPal that I advised ebay that I tried to change the payment arrangement in writing the next day and did not hear bac k. Until I said I fixed it. But my bank would not let me change it on my end. Thus purchase has to go on my credit card or be cancelled for a full credit. I will follow up with ebay and pay pal once I refuse the package.

(Buyer never ever asked to cancel and the package was in the hands of UPS before the buyer attempted any communications. Buyer knew UPS had the shipment because they sent both of us email)

Sent by buyer while I was out today: 

Calntom, you can send a money request to my PayPal roaches009.live.com. I will forward an immediate payment and copy ebay.

I just sent this one to the buyer:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Response is always within 24 hours. Sorry that you felt ignored. I read again your communications sent yesterday and all sent today. 

At your request, I attempted to send a paypal money request to roaches009.live.com which is not a valid email address through paypal.

realize you are working on another solution. I will check back with messages again later this evening.

Best Regards,   ---   calntom

Message 40 of 55
latest reply

"Unverified" means that they have not linked a bank account to their PayPal account.

Message 41 of 55
latest reply

calntom DO NOT send the money request to any other email address except the one that was used for the original payment no matter what the buyer tellls you. The buyer has moved from being a pest to being a scammer just not a very smart one....

Message 42 of 55
latest reply

Mornin Mr. Bub. Just woke up here on the East Coast. Thanks for bringing some levity to these Forums. Am still laughing....

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 43 of 55
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

calntom DO NOT send the money request to any other email address except the one that was used for the original payment no matter what the buyer tellls you. The buyer has moved from being a pest to being a scammer just not a very smart one....

Roger that. No new messages from the buyer since this last one I sent to buyer yesterday evening at the bottom of message 40 in this thread.

I checked my response time on messages and the longest the buyer had to wait for a response on any day was 4 hours and 18 minutes. 

UPS Ground did a great job getting the 30 lb. package out there. Buyer paid Dec 3rd, package shipped from Texas December 3rd, package arrived in Sacramento CA on the 5th and I bet it goes out for delivery today. 

Message 44 of 55
latest reply

Technically, that period before "live" in the address he gave was supposed to be an @ sign.

That aside, I would hold off on doing anything further until after the package is delivered, and see if the buyer is still trying to play sillybuggers with the payment. Tell him that the only PayPal address you will deal with is the one associated with the original payment, which you can see in your PayPal payment record. You can also see his original PayPal payment address by replying to the payment notification you got from PayPal in your email account. The Reply message will be addressed to the buyer's payment address, not to PayPal.

To be honest, I'd be inclined to just stop responding. He could possibly retaliate with a Neg, but you would have a lengthy trail of bizarre messages from him that Customer Service could examine when deciding whether to remove the Neg. I had a similar (but not quite so convoluted) buyer flake about a year ago who did this, but CS removed it promptly.

Message 45 of 55
latest reply