cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants me to “hold” purchase.

Listed a Gucci bag. Last one sold with no problem.

Listed another and buyer with zero feedback has bid and wants to know if I will wait two weeks for payment if buyer gives another $25.

Any advice is appreciated. I usually don’t sell high end bags just pottery etc.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Buyer wants me to “hold” purchase.

Tell the buyer to pay that $25 right now. Make it clear you will hold the item for seven days after you receive the $25 and it's not refundable  if they don't pay the additional full selling price within that seven days and it's not subtracted from the selling price either.

They are renting space in your facility to hold an item in their name, that's it.

If they say retailers don't charge for Lay-A-Way. Tell them retailers get  around half down and still have the merchandise to sell if the buyer doesn't complete the transaction by a certain date. Depending on the item, the retailer may not even take it off the shelf but fill the buyers order from back stock. You can't do that and that's why your buyer is renting space, not making a down payment.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@lorootswrote:

Listed a Gucci bag. Last one sold with no problem.

Listed another and buyer with zero feedback has bid and wants to know if I will wait two weeks for payment if buyer gives another $25.

Any advice is appreciated. I usually don’t sell high end bags just pottery etc.

No

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

To expand on my NO.....either agree to hold the bag for 2 weeks awaiting payment or don't.  Agreeing to accept an extra $25 for it would put you in line for a lot of problems. For instance, where would this $25 appear on the invoice and how would it be paid?  In the event of a return, how would it be refunded? 

Discussion of an extra $25 would have to take place somewhere - it's already started on eBay messages and you can't switch to email since the eBay BOTS would catch the attempt to do so.

You have an auction style listing going.  I would let the buyer's bid remain and not agree to cancel it....and hope others outbid the buyer.  

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@duggmillswrote:

Tell the buyer to pay that $25 right now. Make it clear you will hold the item for seven days after you receive the $25 and it's not refundable  if they don't pay the additional full selling price within that seven days and it's not subtracted from the selling price either.

They are renting space in your facility to hold an item in their name, that's it.

If they say retailers don't charge for Lay-A-Way. Tell them retailers get  around half down and still have the merchandise to sell if the buyer doesn't complete the transaction by a certain date. Depending on the item, the retailer may not even take it off the shelf but fill the buyers order from back stock. You can't do that and that's why your buyer is renting space, not making a down payment.

How do you propose that this $25 be paid up front?   The seller can't exchange email addresses with the bidder in CONTACT MEMBER so there's no way for the seller to invoice the member or for the member to 'gift' $25 to the seller.

The idea might seem attractive at first glance but it actually not a good idea at all.

After the sale - eBay is not set up for partial/multiple payments.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Saying no is really easy.

Dear buyer,

Unfortunately I am unable to hold your purchase. Upon payment receipt, your item will ship on xxx date.  Thank you for your business.

Regards

Then after 48 hours file a UPI and block. A good rule to live buy is to never ever make the buyer's problem your problem.

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

By the way - I realize it's too late to revise the listing, but I would have made the mention of the missing shoulder strap much more prominent in its placement.  

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@duggmillswrote:

Um, @duggmills how exactly do you propose the OP's do that?   There's no provision on eBay for taking "deposits."

Besides that, the item is up for Auction and runs another five days.  The listing has 55 watchers at the moment so it's possible there are bidders waiting in the weeds who will surface and outbid the OP's initial/problem bidder by the time the auction ends.

Yeah sure, the seller could end the auction early.   If she does, and doesn't sell the item to the current/only high bidder, most likely she will have to pay eBay FVFs even if the item wasn't sold. (See: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html)

Let's just say, she does agree to end the auction early and sell to the bidder who inquired.  How is she going to get the additional $25 offered?   She can't increase the selling price of the listing  - it already was sold to the buyer at the listed price.   Sure, she can send the buyer an invoice via PayPal for the addl 25 bucks  - but will eBay consider that "selling off-site" or "circumventing the system" since all they have to do is look at the messages that went back and forth between buyer/seller for confirmation they aren't getting their cut on an eBay sale?

If it were me, @loroots  I would just respond to the seller and say something along the line of:

"I'm sorry, but eBay does not offer the option for buyers to pay an additional fee to delay payment after the end of an auction.   However, if you indeed are the high bidder when the auction ends, I am willing to wait for payment from you until XYZ date.   If confirmed payment is not received via PayPal for the handbag by ABC (date), an Unpaid Item Claim will automatically be lodged against your account per eBay rules.  I hope this information is helpful.  Regardless, thank you for your interest."

(And yeah, before a bunch of you hop on me for saying the "eBay rules" bit isn't 100% accurate,  I know that, but in this case I think it is okay to stretch things a bit so that "the blame" for how things need to be handled is on eBay, not the seller, as it won't hurt to convey the message to a newbie that there are rules on the site, which restrict buying/selling behavior.)

Or, @loroots  -- You could just ignore the bidder's request all together and wait and see how the auction plays out since you do have so many watchers.  Maybe someone else will outbid within the next five days.  Problem solved.

If he/she does emerge as the high bidder, you could decide what you want to do based on response.  If no payment is forthcoming in a couple of days after the auction closed you could:

• File an Unpaid Item dispute as soon as 48  hours after the auction closes.  Then wait four more days for the bidder to pay you.  If he/she doesn't by the deadline, the UID is closed in your favor and you can then re-list the item .
  • Or maybe wait a few days more to file a UID so that the buyer would need to pay by "X" date which coincides with the original 2 wk payment delay they wanted.  (Remember, you need six days to open/close out an UID -- so include that in your figuring.)  

If you do get payment from this person, DO NOT SHIP until you have verified the money is in your PP account.  Though your bidder may be totally legit, is a new eBayer, and doesn't know how things work here, she just as easily could be a scammer.  

As an additional precaution, I would add her to your BBL right now.  If it turns out in the end everything goes smoothly, you can always delete her ID from your blocked bidder list.  Handbags like the one you are offering are a frequent target.    Better to be safe, than sorry.

Hope some of this helps...

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Your buyer could be using your pictures to re-sell the purse elsewhere and if/when it sells they then make the purchase from you. 

If the buyer had contacted you  prior to purchase then that would have been respectful; however this buyer's is attempting to renegotiate the terms post purchase and for that reason alone, I would say no.   Remember: You,  like any other seller need your money now.  

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@city*satinswrote:

By the way - I realize it's too late to revise the listing, but I would have made the mention of the missing shoulder strap much more prominent in its placement.  

Good point @city*satins.   I'd be afraid either a newbie or a scammer would try to exploit this and try filing a SNAD.  They might not win the SNAD because it was mentioned, but I can see someone trotting right off and filing with PP and ending up with a $500 purse - AND a refund -- leaving @loroots with zip, nada, zilch in the end.  😞

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@getitright1234wrote:

Your buyer could be using your pictures to re-sell the purse elsewhere and if/when it sells they then make the purchase from you. 

If the buyer had contacted you  prior to purchase then that would have been respectful; however this buyer's is attempting to renegotiate the terms post purchase and for that reason alone, I would say no.   Remember: You,  like any other seller need your money now.  

The listing is still running.  The 'buyer' is just the current and only bidder.

But I agree that these kinds of questions should be asked before bidding.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@getitright1234wrote:

Another good point @getitright1234.

I have had potential buyers want to do the same thing as @loroots is experiencing.  I DID agree to end the auction early, sell to them, and wait for payment a few extra days.   BUT ONLY because the seller asked BEFORE he made a bid and AFTER I had done my due diligence to determine he was on the up-and-up which made me more comfortable/confident making such an arrangement.

In the OP's case, she has very little to go on since the bidder is brand new and asked after the bid was placed on a scam magnet-type item.   And yes, it's also possible the bidder isn't a newbie (or a newbie betting on a quick flip) and is wanting a two-week delay on payment because she plans to sell the item herself in the meantime, and needs that pad in terms of time to collect from HER buyer in order to have the money to pay the OP for the purse.  [sigh/shaking head]

Hey, boys and girls!   Isn't online selling fun?!    stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@duggmillswrote:

Tell the buyer to

No. Just no.  All of that is an off-eBay deal from start-to-finish!

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for your suggestions. Wish I had them before listing, yikes!

Didnt have a good feeling about it.  Will read again and figure out what to do.

Again,

thanks!

Message 15 of 25
latest reply