cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants me to “hold” purchase.

Listed a Gucci bag. Last one sold with no problem.

Listed another and buyer with zero feedback has bid and wants to know if I will wait two weeks for payment if buyer gives another $25.

Any advice is appreciated. I usually don’t sell high end bags just pottery etc.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Buyer wants me to “hold” purchase.

Your taking a gamble. An issue can arise out of it.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Dear Buyer:

I am sorry but I am unable to accomodate your request.  Ebay policies require fast payment and shipping.  Thank you for your understanding.  

Sincerely,

Your Seller

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Or you can simply say,

Dear Buyer: 

Thank you for your inquiry but I am unable to accomodate your request.

Sincerely,

Your Seller

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Don't do it. Ebay would not get a cut of it so it may get you banned

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

If she can't pay now, it means she doesn't have a credit card.

Because if she had a credit card attached to her Paypal account, she could pay you, get the purse, and pay off the card (with interest possibly) at her leisure.

So basically, you have a  customer who is dreaming in technicolour with a kinescope budget.

Thank her for her interest and tell her that your policy is to open an Unpaid Item Dispute after 48 hours (or 96 hours if you are not US-based). Offer to cancel her purchase immediately if she would prefer.

Because if you give in she will keep playing you.

I am old and cynical.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

@reallynicestampswrote:

If she can't pay now, it means she doesn't have a credit card.

Because if she had a credit card attached to her Paypal account, she could pay you, get the purse, and pay off the card (with interest possibly) at her leisure.

So basically, you have a  customer who is dreaming in technicolour with a kinescope budget.

Thank her for her interest and tell her that your policy is to open an Unpaid Item Dispute after 48 hours (or 96 hours if you are not US-based). Offer to cancel her purchase immediately if she would prefer.

Because if you give in she will keep playing you.

I am old and cynical.

Agree with you in concept @reallynicestamps, but the auction is still live.  The person is just the current high bidder - he/she hasn't purchased anything, yet.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@duggmillswrote:

Tell the buyer to pay that $25 right now. Make it clear you will hold the item for seven days after you receive the $25 and it's not refundable  if they don't pay the additional full selling price within that seven days and it's not subtracted from the selling price either.

Um, @duggmills how exactly do you propose the OP's do that?   There's no provision on eBay for taking "deposits."

I know how.

The Paypal invoice has the buyer's email on it. The one attached to her PP account.

The seller could use that to send a Request Money invoice for the $25, unrelated to the original purchase.

There are problems.

First, I really doubt this buyer has ANY money. Her eyes are bigger than her wallet.

Second, yep, I would not be surprised if she plans to resell it before paying for it. Watch for a 'guest address' and a request for no enclosed packing slip.

Third, a new buyer may not have a Paypal account set up.

And of course, if it is noticed by eBay, the seller looks as if she has an off-eBay sale going, and eBay gets snippy about that.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The simplest solution would be to cancel the bid, before she becomes a deadbeat and Block her.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

but the auction is still live. The person is just the current high bidder - he/she hasn't purchased anything, yet.

Okay, then the seller can cancel the bid and Block the bidder without explanation.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

I guess it didn't occur to you that the seller can initiate a separate invoice for the $25 with a brief explanation of;  Services for  the holding and removing  from the active market  of a specific item for the seller to complete sale by X date.

Therefore, it has nothing to do with "multiple/partial" payments

Further, it's not a "gift" as you say. It's payment for services.

I think you are wrong about not being able to contact a member.

Where did you get the silly notion  I suggested exchanging emails addresses?

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@loroots  Politely decline ... as others have mentioned your risks for being accused of off-site selling might increase.  I suspect what would happen if you message them back is they will ask for your payPal email address so they can send you the extra $$ ... if you comply they can create bogus emails letting you know the item was paid for and its okay to ship ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 25 of 25
latest reply