cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants a refund but the money is withheld by ebay

Hello I sold a jacket for around 300 dollars a few days ago. I was a bit late on shipping the item so the funds were held from me till the 29th. Now the buyer wants to return and get a refund. Here's my question since the funds are still withheld from me, will ebay send that money back or will I have to use money in my bank account, this is my first time and I'm very stressed any help will be great

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Buyer wants a refund but the money is withheld by ebay

I believe the money would come out of your bank account or CC you have on file. When the held money is released, it will be sent to you and make you even so to speak. Has the buyer opened a request yet or just asking?

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If you don't have available funds, then ebay will charge your alternate payment method on file( bank account or credit card) to settle the return.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

They opened a request already. this is so strerssfull 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

No need to worry about refunds just yet. Here is what you do. 

1. Accept the return within 3 business days 

2. You pay for a return label with tracking and send it to the buyer 

3. Buyer sends back the item. This might take a while. You will probably get the item back well after March 29 and the hold on your funds is released depending how quick the buyer decides to drop it off at the PO and how fast the PO is in shipping it back to you. 

4. Refund the Buyer within 3 business days 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@venom90_907 wrote:

Hello I sold a jacket for around 300 dollars a few days ago. I was a bit late on shipping the item so the funds were held from me till the 29th. Now the buyer wants to return and get a refund. Here's my question since the funds are still withheld from me, will ebay send that money back or will I have to use money in my bank account, this is my first time and I'm very stressed any help will be great

Go ahead and advise the buyer to file a Request for Return.  Once you get notification that this has been filed, Ebay will send you an email.  Go into the Request and approve it for return.  You can then issue the return shipping label from the Return Request.  

Now you wait.  Do NOT refund anything.  You will be waiting for the item to come back to you.  You will ONLY REFUND AFTER you get your product back and not a moment before.

The timing should work out pretty close to when the funds will be released to you.  But if they cross up a little, Ebay will take the refund money from your bank account or your back up funding source.  I advise sellers in this position that once they issue the refund to then contact Ebay and let them know you issued refund and would like to get the hold off the funds ASAP.  

Try not to stress, I do understand why you are stressing, but try not to as this is likely to work out just fine.  Please ask if you have any other questions or concerns.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Your problems could just be starting.  I had to quit eBay because too many buyers were saying they did not get what they purchased and switched the items with damaged junk.  I sold a $550 stamp only to have it switched with a damaged stamp worth less than one dollar.  The last deal I sold was a $250 baseball card that I sold at a significant discount to be competitive.  Once the buyer received the card, he sent me an email through eBay thanking me for what a beautiful card it was and worth much more than he paid me for it.  Great transaction, right?  NOPE   A week later, he filed an INAD with eBay and returned a different card that was severely damaged worth maybe five dollars.   Ebay took $250 out of my account and sent it to him.  eBay also hit me for all the selling fees, the processing fees, and all shipping fees.  I lost almost $300.  I contacted eBay about the buyer's email saying how great the card was and how he thought the card was underpriced.  eBay agreed with me but said that since eBay had already refunded the buyer the $250., the case was closed, and I would not receive the money back.  To add insult to injury, eBay kept all the fees, and I was out another $50.  I hope it doesn't happen to you, but the buyer could have gone down to Goodwill and bought a $5. jacket which he is sending back to you.  You will be losing the $300. for the jacket and $60. in fees for a total loss of $360.  Some sellers on eBay will say "Well, if you don't like what eBay does, you can stop selling on eBay".  I took their advice and after selling on eBay for almost 25 years I quit.  Best of luck.  I hope you get your original jacket back, and in the same condition you sent it.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@venom90_907 wrote:

On eBay, any buyer can steal any item from any seller at any time by filing a fraudulent return or dispute.

Once you understand this, each seller must decide for himself if the benefits outweigh the risks. 

One thing to remember about eBay is that the seller is risking the cost of shipping both ways in the event of a return. So using an expensive shipping options increases the amount you put at risk. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If you get the items returned via USPS file mail fraud.  Whenever I have gotten a fraudulent return I have always done this.  I dont care if it is 1c or 1000 dollars.  I report each and every one.  Reason for this is this is not the buyers first rodeo.  They have done it before.  A while ago someone did this to about 20 sellers.  We got together and all filed.  The guy had been doing this for a while and the Post Office charged him with mail fraud.  I never got the widget back but the guy did a few years for his shenanigans.  People do not like getting a knock on the door by a Postal Inspector.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply