cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer used the return policy to commit fraud.

I sold a Bose QC 45 to a user and they used the return policy to commit fraud and keep the headphones for themselves, and now I have earnings of "-$30.38" due to the sales tax he had to pay.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If they used the return policy and you didn't follow the policy that isn't fraud.

If eBay refunds without return because you didn't follow the policy that isn't fraud.

You werent specific enough to try and see if actual fraud happened.

But just because you lost money doesn't mean fraud occurred.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You need to provide a bit more information. The negative earnings is not a result of the tax but something else. Did the buyer open a return request using NAD as the reason? How did you, or did you, respond to the case? You said they kept the item? One of your sold items specifies seller does not accept returns the other has 30 day returns which of the two items was this? 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I'm sorry this happened to you, but we need a little more information so we can try to help you.

Did the buyer file for a Request for Return? 

If so, what reason did they use? 

If this is what happened, did you approve the return and issue the buyer a shipping label to return the item?

Did the buyer return the item?

Did you refund the buyer BEFORE you got the item back?

OR

Did you try to fight the return?  Did you try and deny the buyer from returning the item?

Just tell us more details and we can likely explain why you are in a negative with your funds.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@fusefour wrote:

I sold a Bose QC 45 to a user and they used the return policy to commit fraud and keep the headphones for themselves, and now I have earnings of "-$30.38" due to the sales tax he had to pay.

Buyers have been able to defraud sellers since 2008 when eBay introduced the Money Back Guarantee. 

The seller is never on the hook for sales tax in a refund; those were paid to eBay and are always refunded by eBay. 

But the seller is on the hook for shipping, and if the seller does not agree to a return the seller can be on the hook for the eBay fees as well. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

This has absolutely nothing to do with the state sales tax.

If the buyer opened an item not as described case, and you, as the seller, did not respond to the case within 4 days, eBay would have automatically refunded the buyer from your funds and allowed the buyer to keep the item.

If you plan to sell on eBay, it's imperative that you learn how it works.   That means making yourself well acquainted with eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply