cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer still hasn't paid after more than 48 hours, what are my options?

I made a sale on Saturday morning, the buyer made an offer and then accepted my counteroffer, but stil has not paid. It said he had 48 hours to pay, and he did message me saying he'd pay by Monday, but still hasn't. I sent a reminder to pay this morning, but still nothing.

What do I do from here? Do I cancel the order? How can I relist the item? I am still very new to selling. Thanks!

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer still hasn't paid after more than 48 hours, what are my options?

No reason to wait even extra days or contact him again.  If he was around to accept your counteroffer, he was around to pay.  Yes, he did tell you he'd pay Monday.  Monday isn't over yet  Smiley Happy

The one reason I might understand is if he accepted with a mobile device but doesn't feel comfortable paying on it - and is waiting to get home from his 3-day weekend fun to pay you.  I won't pay with my phone.

I'd open the unpaid Tuesday mid-afternoon as you've alredy been promised payment Monday.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Well you can at least wait until after Memorial Day.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

You go to resolution center and open an unpaid item case. You then have to wait 4 additional days if the buyer does not pay in that time to close the case. Once you close the case stating the buyer did not pay, you will receive your FVF back and will be able to relist the item at that time. The buyer will recieve a strike on their account. Two or more strikes will prevent this buyer from being able to purchase from every seller that has their account set up for such a person. Good luck

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

Your buyer bought your Item on a non business day (sat) you ask for payment on a non business day (mon) This is a Holiday weekend, Yes, sellers can open non payment cases in as little as 48 hrs. after sale,  but have a heart, Many are enjoying times with there family's on this 3 day weekend, I would wait until at least Wednesday before opening any cases, ( You owe fees on this sale, You Don't relist until case is closed, this is how you get these fees back) Good Luck to you.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Have a little patience.  It is a holiday weekend and Monday has not come to a close yet.  If you still haven't heard from the buyer by Wednesday, I'd email again and say you'll be opening an unpaid case if he doesn't pay within the next 24 hours.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

Thank you for the info. Like I said I'm only a week into this selling thing and I don't know the protocol. It was a Buy It Now listing, but since he accepted my counteroffer he got more time to pay. He seems like a nice guy, I just didn't know how long to wait. Thanks again.
Message 6 of 33
latest reply

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll receive payment after the BBQ fires die down and the dishes are washed. Good Luck to you and Welcome to eBay.

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

No reason to wait even extra days or contact him again.  If he was around to accept your counteroffer, he was around to pay.  Yes, he did tell you he'd pay Monday.  Monday isn't over yet  Smiley Happy

The one reason I might understand is if he accepted with a mobile device but doesn't feel comfortable paying on it - and is waiting to get home from his 3-day weekend fun to pay you.  I won't pay with my phone.

I'd open the unpaid Tuesday mid-afternoon as you've alredy been promised payment Monday.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

Thank you, I appreciate it.
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

I want to add - 

Don't ever cancel a transaction unless you have a message from the buyer asking you to do so (and you agree to it)

Cancellations because you can't or won't complete the transaction earn you a defect because it creates a "bad buyer experience."

Once you open an Unpaid - the buyer has 96 hours to the minute to pay.  I keep track of the exact time I open one.   I don't want to let it linger.  After 96 hours, I close it as Unpaid - at that time you get a credit for your selling fees.  If they pay, I ship.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

@ferociousvegan wrote:

I made a sale on Saturday morning, the buyer made an offer and then accepted my counteroffer, but stil has not paid. It said he had 48 hours to pay, and he did message me saying he'd pay by Monday, but still hasn't. I sent a reminder to pay this morning, but still nothing.

What do I do from here? Do I cancel the order? How can I relist the item? I am still very new to selling. Thanks!

Hi @ferociousvegan,  since I'm never in a rush to get paid I always allow my wonderful buyers (and most really are wonderful AND repeat buyers) as much time as they need.    Especially on a holiday.  

I know that some people are disabled, some may get sick and while they bid and won, they may not be well enough to get back on the computer for several days so I give them at least a week and then I send an Invoice.   

If it's a repeat buyer I will also send a message saying I hope they are well and if they need more time to please let me know.  

I presently have a new buyer with 150 feedback stars who won an item on 5/25 and hasn't paid so I sent her an Invoice yesterday but I will wait a few more days and if she has not sent payment, I will send a message via eBay.  

I do not ever like to open an Unpaid Item Case.    But that's just me.  

It's good that you came here because many people here are seasoned/veteran sellers and can help you with just about any situation that arises on eBay.  

I wish you the best of luck as a new seller.  

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Good news, he paid! Bad news is PayPal says the funds are pending. This is my 6th sale and for the 5 preceeding this one I got the money immediately. I don't know why they're doing this now.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Calm down would be the 1st option.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

No need to be rude. I'm simply trying to understand how things work.
Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Does it say pending - OK to Ship?  That's likely a new seller hold then and nothing to worry about.  They release funds about 3 days after tracking shows delivered.   (Be sure to upload tracking info if you're not buying your labels through PP or eBay)

Or is it pending because the buyer used an echeck or it's under review?

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/payments-and-fees/funds-availability.html

Message 15 of 33
latest reply