cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer sent back $1,300 turbocharger but switched turbo with his used one

Sold turbo ebay  to buyer he contacted me and said it did not fit.

He selected did not fit and offered to pay 1/2 of shipping.

I selected sent buyer return tag and sent him my tag since it would be a lot cheaper than using Ebay's tag.

I got it back a couple days ago and looked at it today as he was bugging for his refund.

He sent back the unit and switched the turbo head out with his used one. I have pictures of the markings that show it is not the same and it is obviuosly used.

Not sure how to handle it.

Ebay system shows return as not shipped

When I hit refund it shows "You cannot issue a refund at this time because a return request is open for an item in this order." so Ebay doesn't have my return tag in their system I would guess.

1st time scammed this large.

Looking for input

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Buyer sent back $1,300 turbocharger but switched turbo with his used one

Sounds like you might get lucky in this case and be able to say (semi-truthfully) that you didn't receive the return.  You didn't receive what you were supposed to, even though you did receive something.  It depends on how he approaches it.  I would do nothing for the moment, since you cannot complete the return or refund process anyways.  If he appeals to eBay, chances are it will go in your favor without a delivery scan on the return.  Maybe not, but unlike some other situations, I don't think you get a defect for allowing this to go to eBay's consideration either, so it'd be worth waiting.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Here is how I have handled similar situations in the past.  It's going to require you to be a bit "shady", if that's the word.  I am giving this advice on the assumption that the buyer has indeed returned a used part.

Do nothing for now.  DO NOT SEND A REFUND.  The return shows not shipped in Ebay's system because they did not use a label provided by Ebay.  It's very likely the buyer is unaware of this.  So keep an eye on it and at the earliest time Ebay will let you, call customer service and have the case closed because the buyer hasn't shipped.  

It's possible the buyer will figure it out within the very generous time frame Ebay now gives buyers to ship a return, and upload the tracking number or otherwise make Ebay aware that it's been returned.  If that happens, Ebay will force a refund.  In that case, you take the other steps of reporting the buyer to Ebay, initiating a criminal complaint of theft with the local constabulary, reporting mail fraud to the Post Office, and if it was across state lines, a criminal complaint with the FBI.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@cssurplus 

How to handle Scum, otherwise known as Scammers

The first thing to do is to report the buyer>

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=12&pos=1&quer...

Then block them.

Then, read this link re Seller Protection>

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection?id=4345&st=12&pos=2&query=Sell...

Then, see if this will help:

An item that is returned after it was used or damaged by the buyer

Sellers who offer free returns and who are not Below Standard are eligible for this protection

* You can deduct up to 50% from the refund to recover the lost value of the item
* We will take care of any issues directly with the buyer for you, including removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics

How to issue a partial refund when the item is returned in a different condition

To issue a partial refund:
* Go to your Returns dashboard.
* Select View return details beside the item.
* Decide What to Refund.
* Select the percent you want to deduct from the refund amount.
* Add a message to the buyer explaining why the refund wasn't full.
* Select Send.

In addition, make a police report, internet fraud report, USPS fraud report to send with your appeal.

Also note the weight and size of original package vs returned package, ie photos, label info

Reports for USPS here>

https://www.uspis.gov/

Mail Fraud Complaint>

https://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx

Internet Crime Complaint Center>

https://www.ic3.gov/

Then

Contact eBay via social media with a private message:

https://Facebook.com/ebay

AND-OR

https://Twitter.com/askebay

Great customer service on these social media sites

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

The 50% way sounds the best unfortunately.

Do I read this right that if Ebay has to step in this is not available?

I guess I'll try to get the tracking number uploaded into Ebay.

I did it when the return was started but it must not have worked.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

The return tracking isn't showing as used in Ebay, right?  So it appears the return hasn't been shipped back.  You have a bit of time.

Just contact the buyer and tell them they sent you back the wrong turbocharger and you'll refund them when they send the correct one back.  See what the buyer says.

Don't accuse, just say that they must have accidentally sent their old one back instead of the one you sold them.   I'd be curious to see what they have to say.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

The return tracking isn't showing as used in Ebay, right?  So it appears the return hasn't been shipped back.  You have a bit of time.

Just contact the buyer and tell them they sent you back the wrong turbocharger and you'll refund them when they send the correct one back.  See what the buyer says.

Don't accuse, just say that they must have accidentally sent their old one back instead of the one you sold them.   I'd be curious to see what they have to say.

They may say nothing. The buyer has already tipped his hand by shipping back a swapped-out item, but he apparently forgot to upload the tracking number for the label he used, and I'll bet he didn't keep his receipt and can't find the tracking number now.

@cssurplus : His next step would seem to be to send a trinket to you (or at least your City and ZIP) in order to fulfill the return requirement with a tracking number, if he feels like pursuing this scam even further. As others have said, wait to see what he does next, as the ball seems to be in his court at the present time.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@cssurplus wrote:

The 50% way sounds the best unfortunately.

Do I read this right that if Ebay has to step in this is not available?

I guess I'll try to get the tracking number uploaded into Ebay.

I did it when the return was started but it must not have worked.

@cssurplus  remember, the 50% or less deduction is only available if u offer free returns on your listing(s).

read>  https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/condition-returned-items-policy?id=4763

A buyer returned an item damaged, what should I do?

If you qualify to deduct an amount from the buyer's refund, you can deduct up to 50% from the refund for the loss in value of the item. Learn more about seller protections.

also read> https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/protections/returns#streamlined-returns

if the case does not show the item was returned within the time line on the case, click on the ask ebay to step in button.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I  am not seeing the offer free shipping part?

Protections for Top Rated Sellers

Top Rated Sellers sellers are eligible for these protections when all the following criteria are met:

• Your seller performance level is Top Rated Seller at the time of the protection
  • You reside in the US (including US territories) or Canada
  • You don't have a "Very High" rating in any of your service metrics
  • The item was listed on eBay.com
  • The listing offered 30-day or longer returns
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@cssurplus  u need to click on the links to read the details of what pertains to your situation

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@cssurplus wrote:

I  am not seeing the offer free shipping part?

It's not a reference to Free Shipping; it's free returns:

"Sellers who are not Below Standard are eligible for this protection for listings that offer free returns."

Ref: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection-policy?id=4345 

(Scroll down to the section headed "Protections for all sellers" and click on the (+) symbol to expand the subsection headed "An item is returned after it was used or damaged by the buyer." That subsection title is used twice on that page; you are looking for the second one.)

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I assume the seller sent the shipping label to the buyer by email and the buyer probably still has the email with the tracking number.

The best result for the OP is that the buyer fails to upload the tracking number on time and he can close the return without refunding but at some point, the buyer might figure out what he has to do before the return window is up. Even if the buyer does upload the tracking number, the seller should be able to withhold 50% of the sales price because the goods weren't returned in the same condition as they were sent.

I agree with all of the recommendations by @stuff4divas.  None of it will help you get your money back but it beats doing nothing.

@a_c_greennoted that his next step might be to send something to you to fulfill the return requirement. You can assume he won't be sending back your actual turbocharger. If he uses the eBay tracking label to send bricks or whatever, I would ask the post office to hold the package so you can open it there. Ideally you could do it in front of the local postmaster or a postal inspector who could testify that he did not ship your turbocharger back.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Thanks I wasn't seeing that. And here I thought Ebay actually card about sellers:-)

I was able to have him click on the get return label QR and that released my end to send a refund.

I just did the 50% off and sent pics. I have had ebay let people send back stuff late before and just take my money anyway,

Figured at least I'll take a shot at getting 1/2 back. He already filed a case saying it must have rusted in the salty air and its not fair so I will probably lose. Nothing new Just another cost of business.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@cssurplus wrote:

Thanks I wasn't seeing that. And here I thought Ebay actually cared about sellers:-)

I was able to have him click on the get return label QR and that released my end to send a refund.

I just did the 50% off and sent pics. I have had ebay let people send back stuff late before and just take my money anyway,

Figured at least I'll take a shot at getting 1/2 back. He already filed a case saying it must have rusted in the salty air and its not fair so I will probably lose. Nothing new Just another cost of business.

Did he swap out the internals and send back the same serial number on the outer housing (which I see you photographed in the original listing), or does what he returned show a different serial? I know that one discrepancy alone isn't going to win an appeal, but might be useful ammunition anyway.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

He told me when he got it that it was completely different and I told him I would take it back. After looking at it more I think he decided to split the turbo off and run it on his existing setup because the whole unit would not fit in. Like DUH! I know you can't see the pics but the turbo is burnt brown and sooty. It definately was run for a while. You know if he just would have sent it back it all would have been good. I loose some shipping but I can resell it. Instead it now has no value and he'll probably get all his money. We deal with mostly business people and its usually all good but as soon as a retail customer buys something it almost always goes bad. Thanks for the help from everyone.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply