cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer's response to an item they purchased

Hello, a little over a week ago I sold an item to a buyer and 29 minutes after the buyer paid for the transaction I get this email from him using the "Resolution Center" link "I haven't received my item" stating, "If I find any peanuts in the packing material I will give you a negative feedback". Is it any wonder that the weak policy of ebay towards the buyer is fustrationing sellers? This ediot used the resolution center to threaten me with a negative feedback, how bad is this? This is a new one to tell your ebay friends, just when you think you have heard ist all (18 years on this site) along comes another wrikle that adds to the sellers demise.   bubbapeaandme8178 

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Buyer's response to an item they purchased

I would be quick to call eBay on that and report feedback extortion.  That's pretty atrocious behavior.

I'd also send the buyer a message stating that as a china & glass shipper, you use packing peanuts as it is one of the safest ways to pack such items (if you indeed do use them) but if they no longer want the item, you would be happy to cancel their purchase.

I would never not use packing peanuts when shipping glass or porcelain.

Umm... I looked at one of your listings to see if you mention packing methods - and wow, great items and crystal clear pictures.

However, you state in your listing that you don't accept remorse returns, but you have a 14 day return policy.  That's contradictory and unenforceable.   Even though I know I would be able to return if I bought (as I'm up on policy & a seller too), unless it's something I'm desperate for, I avoid sellers who do that.  

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Just curious - but why would a buyer have an objection to packing peanuts?

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

Was there some previous correspondence regarding packing materials?  I see that peanuts would be an inappropriate packing material for most of your items unless they are at least double boxed.  I also see that your listings imply an additional packing charge is added to the invoice?  If that's true, that would be against eBay policy, and I can see where it could cause such a message.

FWIW, your insurance and returns policies are also against eBay rules.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

wrote:

Perhaps they think the peanuts can't be recycled. The ones I get from Office Depot (in fact, the only ones they seem to be selling now, last time I looked) are made from some kind of plant protein, and (I can assure you) are edible, judging from what some happy critters discovered when I left a bag in my basement a little too long. See below...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Office-Depot-you-fail/m-p/27862222#M215216

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

I'd be so tempted to draw a picture or print a picture of the Planter's dude and include it on my packing slip 😉

I will tell you-since you take returns, this "I WILL NOT REFUND FOR BUYERS REMORSE AND ONLY IF I HAVE DESCRIBED THE ITEM INCORRECTLY. " is against policy as you take them for ANY reason. If the buyer doesn't like the color, if the buyer hates it because they had a headache when they opened it, if the buyer farted when they first saw it and now they swear it stinks, or they hate the way it looks on their table, etc. they just have to pay shipping both ways for buyer's remorse.

Also-you should really just take this out. It sounds like you are going to charge more, and I figure you mean it's included in your shipping charge. If you do mean it's extra, that's against policy. If you want to say anything just say insurance is included in your shipping charge.  "ALL ITEMS ARE SHIPPED INSURED AT BUYER'S EXPENSE, AND YOUR SHIPPING TOTAL WILL INCLUDE HANDLING AND INSURANCE. "

Tiptoeing through the tulips can end in stepping on a cow patty 😉
Message 6 of 41
latest reply

wrote:

Maybe they are afraid that * gasp * they may get mixed green, pink and white ones!

I don't purchase many items that are breakable, however, I do not care for packing peanuts either, but I would threaten any seller w/neg feedback.  

For one, they are messy and I don't like messy and now with the cats, it is hard to keep them away from them.  The mean one just gets in the box and have them stuck to her; the baby likes them for "snacks" 😞  If I see peanuts used as packing, I ask my son to get the item out 'cause with me, I'm messy too 😉 

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

I don't know if it is the same guy or not, but I had this exact same situation. He was a royal pain. I did use packing peanuts as I do with all my fragile items. He was livid but he went for a SNAD. He did leave a negative but claimed that the item was scratched.  

That is one transaction I will never forget.

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

I have a regular buyer who has asked me, nicely, to avoid packing peanuts because her cat eats them and at one point, ended up having surgery to remove them from her stomach.  Also, my son's labrador puppy eats them too and I'm sure it can't be good for him.  I try to keep them off the floor, but they get everywhere. 

Those biodegradable ones are made from corn, and will actually evaporate, slowly, if you leave them exposed to air for too long.  I think they make your package smell like Fritos. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 10 of 41
latest reply

I love them - especially if you have enough to fill up someones car while he is at work with you .............. and that car has a removable top.

Even better when they think they can drive around the parking lot to get rid of them - instead it's like they are driving a big popcorn machine.

wrote:

They tend to have static and cling to things.

Honestly some folks have a phobia about them

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

I hope you reported him to eBay.
But - how could he have opened an INR before the EDD?
Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Lint sez:  "I would never not use packing peanuts when shipping glass or porcelain."

Could sez:  "I see that peanuts would be an inappropriate packing material for most of your items unless they are at least double boxed."

Color me confuzzelated.

Not a fan of peanuts myself though.  Mints are better  (Do they still make those?)

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 14 of 41
latest reply

bolt-styrofaom.jpg

Message 15 of 41
latest reply