cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returns item - doesn't pack it, just throws it in box

3 weeks or so after getting it, buyer decides the item doesn't work, doesn't contact me, goes straight to ebay and the 1st I hear about it is when I get an email saying the case has been decided in the buyers favor - well, that's to be expected when we as the seller have no way to say anything, have literally zero input, so today I get the item back, a power amplifier that was in great shape when I sold it, even have pictures of it showing the output bias, buyer didn't wrap it or anything, put it in a box,shipped it back to me - which I paid for of course.
And again, isn't a single thing I can say or do about it. Literally no possible way to contact ebay about it, you are just screwed as the seller.
In a normal transaction if there is a problem, there is 2 way communication but ebay doesn't allow that. As a seller, they send you messages that you can't reply to , not allowing you to say anything.
I know exactly what happened - the buyer bought the amp and the reason it took so long to stop working is he hooked it up to 2 pairs of 4 ohm speakers and after a few weeks, stout as it is the excessive heat was too much and something went - customer contacts ebay, sends me back an item beat to **bleep**,.
So glad it's about over. I am just trying to dump everything I have left and I quit, no one should be forced to run a business like they make u

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Good luck in your future endeavors.
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Dude! That is brutal. I heard something about the kids liking the old amps as speaker. Brutal though. I have a nice one sitting in my building I bought thinking I would throw it up on eBay - after the shipping costs, I am like, heck no. Forget it. Given the cost of return shipping for situation just like you are dealing with, I am trying hard as all get out to stay away from any item that is more than a couple pounds and ideally i want 1st class mail. Some of my heavier items are all listed as local pick up only now - I will not ship them. Buyer can arrange shipping and I am happy to drop it off to their local shipping agent, I have no problem, but i am not going to eat that shipping costs. They can pay for it and if they want to send it back SNAD they can pay the return shipping as well.

Maybe you can that for some of you heavier items? Might slow sales, but it will certainly weed out the buy, try and return crowd.

Cheers 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I know you are ticked about the lack of packing from the buyer but he may have thought that since it is not working, there was no reason to protect it further. Just get it back to you.
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:
I know you are ticked about the lack of packing from the buyer but he may have thought that since it is not working, there was no reason to protect it further. Just get it back to you.

Thought?

Buyer wasn't thinking at all. Too many of those here.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

AMEN!  ~~

ITS A MESS, I REMEMBER BACK IN THE DAY WHEN EBAY DIDN'T SUCCK.. 

GOOD LUCK i AM SURE MANY WILL FOLLOW YOU IF THINGS DON'T CHANGE HERE

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

There needs to be some recourse for a seller when a buyer is responsible for an item being damaged/destroyed, regardless of what the buyer "thought".

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Even if I have to return something to a B&M - I make sure I have all the original packing components - not that I may have to leave out one or two small pieces of styrofoam to get the box closed as things are never as easy to put back together - but I would never throw something in a box unprotected and I would report the buyer. Put them on Ebay's radar in case other sellers have had the same problem.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

work retail.

People will return sheets wadded into a bag.....

They'll return worn and dirty....

Opened food? I don't like this! but you ate half of it.....

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Right now, I could buy a computer here on Ebay and once I get it, open it up, take out afew of the components, maybe put in cheap replacements though that's not necessary, then bypassing the seller, contact ebay and tell them the item does not match the description and with the seller having zero say in the matter, Ebay will tell them to return it. Once the seller gets it back, even if he sees the computer has been scavenged, there is absolutely nothing he can do about it, Ebay doesn't even give him a place to contact them and tell them what happened. 
The ONLY way to contact them at that point is to call them on the phone, in the meantime, once that tracking number shows the item as being delivered back to the seller they are given their money back.
Come to think about it, the buyer doesn't even have to return the computer, they could box up a teddy bear and send it back - everything is computerized, it shows the package having been returned, the buyer gets his money back and the seller now has a teddy bear and more importantly, has absolutely no way to contact Ebay except by calling them - good luck with that, but even if you can figure out a way to talk to a real person eventually, the buyer already has his money back, do you think Ebay will reimburse the seller?

Christmas is coming - I once had a buyer return something after 58 days, might have been 59, was either 58 or 59. So while you are selling on here just trying to make a litrtle extra money to get by, the buyer doesn't care, to them you are Ebay so buying a toy for their 7 year old that's meant for those 14 or older, when that 7 year old breaks it after 30-40 days, you'd better hope they aren't aware that they can return it, you will even have to pay the return shipping
That expensive unopened bottle of perfume you bought your wife or girlfriend. Guy notices after a month or so she's rarely wearing it, finds out she doesn't really care for it. In fact, she let her daughter play with it and she must have used a 1/4 bottle of it. Guy tells her you should have told me, just give it to me and I'll send it back and you can pick out something you like.
Absolutely nothing you can do about it.
I could sit here and write these all day - with Ebay's current policies, everyone of those can very well happen.
As people start figuring this out, chances are you know someone who would have no problem doing this, there are always those that all they care about is the bottom line.
You could even sell a power amp to someone and after they get through abusing it foir about a month, maybe just long enough to put together a stereo for the big party they were having, they don't even bother to put newspaper in the box, they throw it in a box and send itr back to you.

Woner how long it will be before they figure out the way to get your money back PLUS keep the item is just find those items that are really expensive to ship. Keep it for a few weeks, then contact ebay, leaving you with a choice of whether or not you want to pay the return shipping. Great chance if you have them send it back it's coming back broken, either because they just threw it in a box or very probable the buyer broke it on purpose just to "prove" it wasn't as described.
Yea, I'm sure no one would do any of that.
Ebay put me out of business, I'm just selling stuff I already have trying to get rid of it and since putting "No Returns" in your listing doesn't matter, Ebay will take it back without question (why not, isn't their money),
I guess from this point forward anything I list will be sold as parts whether it works or not as I'd hope it would be a lot more difficult to say it wasn't as described but then again, chances are I'm giving Ebay too much credit. Best I canm hope for is by listing it as parts at least the buyer will think they can't return it

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@redroofsurplus wrote:

AMEN!  ~~

ITS A MESS, I REMEMBER BACK IN THE DAY WHEN EBAY DIDN'T SUCCK.. 

GOOD LUCK i AM SURE MANY WILL FOLLOW YOU IF THINGS DON'T CHANGE HERE

Evening,

I think many many of the good folks have already left.

"One size fits all" doesn't work for a lot of folks, especially if that one size is based on large sellers and drop shippers.

Mr C

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Uhm...

I took a look at one of your listings, my goodness I don't know where to begin...

I'll let others try and help you as I'm not even sure that listing isn't in violation of policy.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

ebay needs to understand that one return policy doesn't fit all.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

"There needs to be some recourse for a seller when a buyer is responsible for an item being damaged/destroyed, regardless of what the buyer "thought"."

---------

I thought for sellers who offer extended returns

they can give the buyer a partial refund up to 50% in such cases.

It's not perfect, but better than nothing.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Sellers who offer free returns can deduct up to 50% off as long as the buyer doesn't claim SNAD and uses another reason such as fit.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply