cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer refuses to send back item

I mistakenly sent out the wrong item to a buyer.  I immediately refunded them $10 to send it back (more than actual shipping) plus $10 for their inconvience.  I also sent out the correct item which they have received.  Now the buyer wants a full refund to send back the original shipment.  They also say they never got the replacement even though tracking confirms they did.  Can anything be done about this?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Buyer refuses to send back item

never refund until you get the wrong one  back .you can make a new item number and put the right one back up on e-bay so they can buy it again  .i hope it was not much money ..my guess e-bay won't help but you can try .my self i would just write it off as it just not worth it. i spent over a hour on the phone on a diff thing and afer all that it i didnot get a refund for e-bay taking to much money even thou they said i would. i was not going to spend another hour or so with them again it just just not worth it.double check all orders including their address the tracking number ect.so you know all is right .yes it a lot of work but i have made some mistakes and it took forevery to get to the right place or return to me.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Contact eBay and then contact PayPal if eBay is not helping. You might try to send reminder messges. Sometimes you might need to call eBay a few times to get a more experienced Rep who can help you. Some reps are very helpful and some are just lazy / don't care.

In the future, you are supposed to wait for the item to be returned before refunding. 

Hope things work out for you. heart

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

The second you hit the refund it is assumed you got the item back. You are in a NO win situation and rather than continuing to contact the buyer just write this one off. They will just end up reporting YOU for harassment. It was after all your mistake to begin with and the buyer will point that out and WIN.  When I did something like this I contacted both the buyers and had it in writing that they would both be happy with a refund of original shipping amount and a switch. It worked out perfect and best of all HAPPY buyers. But I had proof in writing that I contacted buyers, explained situation and had them write what they would accept as a resolution. This way if it backfired on me I at least had something to fight with. Best of luck. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Dang, mistakes like that can be costly when you have a dishonest buyer.  I would block and report that buyer to ebay and paypal.  

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

according to our most recent experience, the buyer is right 100 percent of the time and we are wrong 200 percent of the time, welcome to being scammed on ebay.  Have fun

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Nothing can be done as it is due to dishonesty...A lot of people in general inside ebay are 2 faced and think what they want but wont voice them.. it is like calling a spade a shovel.. I on the other hand say it as it is and if the person i am speaking to does not like it, then tuff!!! Just like most of the sellers on ebay would say, welcome to the scamming club....

No matter how nice you are, what you want to do for a buyer, how good a person you are in business, how high you hold your business ethics, you will be scammed any way possible that a buyer will find way to do so  ( experience speaking here ) and ebay will condone it... I have had that when i was living in Australia ( on the  ebay au site ) whilst selling on ebay and i can see it is the common thing for the entire world over....... I have learnt the hard way , like many of our other fellow sellers in ebay that the company holds benefits to the buyer..... As i have said this many times over welcome to the scamming side of ebay.....NEVER , AND I MEAN NEVER , give the buyer the benefit of the doubt until you have received back your item ( like you were supposed to ) ... You made an honest mistake and i saw that...We all are not perfect but most people say only one was perfect and died on a cross but one has to believe in that first to say so. ( personally i dont believe that person even existed ) ..Make sure this person or buyer ( you had trouble with ) is on your blocked list. That is the 1st thing you have to do. That way if enough news gets around about that buyer, he or she may have got the item plus $10 shipping or so but then has to buy a complete new computer system ( which will go into hundreds of dollars )  as then that new one will have a different ip adress... Ever heard of the saying " do unto others as you would like them to do unto you" ??? Well in your case you have to switch it around a touch to read " do unto others as they do unto you"...or what about an eye for an eye?? You have to change it to 2 eyes of theirs to one of yours..That way you have equalled the eye for an eye but have taken out the other just to be on top. Unfortunately ebay has made me like this with their rulings in siding with all buyers only... If you dont, then you are up and sitting pretty to be scammed again and again and again and again ... May i also say take a scan of the package and send it as an attachment to amessage within ebay to the buyer saying it has been shipped. That way ebay will have on record what has been done. Ebay cannot control a silly error like you did but they will see how fast you worked to get the pkg out and that is why the error was done...Lastly , welcome to the scammed seller party of ebay...have a nice day. OIO

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@oz_in_ohio

I'm curious what made you dig up and respond to this from almost two years ago?

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

AHhhh, OK. THAT'S why I don't recognize any of these IDs. I thought I was nuts.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Clicked the wrong button but was reading the page..... Anything else you

want to know like what i had for breakfast on the 16th october 1971....

Now i have a question for you....What made you dig up the old shirt you

bought in 1984 and wear it whilst looking at ebay the other day???

Have a nice day

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@oz_in_ohio wrote:

since you threw it out there....... sure.. what did you have?

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

not to beat the dead horse... besides the idea of ot refunding until you actually get the items back...

alwyas follow the procedures and policy... wrong item, ok..they send it back , you pay shipping, they get a refund. then you arrage a listing to be bought, and send correct one.

if you refund the original mistake, you refund and have them keep it. case closed. take your lumps dings feedback, they can buy another...

now you have a mess, and have no real evidence of anything, so I would refund them, and then block them ... you're deep into a mess , just get away form them and learn from it...

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

oz_in_ohio wrote:

Now i have a question for you....What made you dig up the old shirt you

bought in 1984 and wear it whilst looking at ebay the other day???

Have a nice day

No need to get into a snit over that simple question.  Fern*wood only asked the simple question sellers here often wonder...  why these old threads from months and months ago are dug up again.. AND responded to.  ???  Those OP's are long gone. 

Often wished Litium would lock old discussions at some certain point beyond the last of the discussion.  Pulling up the old posts and reading them can be interesting and educational.  But responding to them is like a lot more than just clicking on the wrong button while reading the page. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

dorskinny wrote:

oz_in_ohio wrote:

Off and running early this morning, aren't ya.   Smiley Very Happy  

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@dorskinny wrote:

@oz_in_ohio wrote:

Off and running early this morning, aren't ya.   Smiley Very Happy  

Smiley Tongue  I couldn't guess what I had last week...

Message 15 of 19
latest reply