cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer received item after Ebay refunded buyer. What can I do?

Shipped the item (from the US) to the UK on July 8. 

Buyer filed for refund in August, granted by Ebay. 

Item finally delivered on September 12. 

Fast-talking ebay "help agent" said, "Don't worry."

Got the bot answer back immediately from Ebay: "After reviewing this case, we decided to keep the original outcome. We weren't able to grant your appeal because we determined the original decision was correct.

Any suggestions on how to get the money back that is due me? 

The US Post Office does not allow for refunds, if filed more than 60 days after original shipping date, and does not give refunds for Priority International. The Post Office website, to which I was referred, is a pathetic joke, with dead ends, non-working "clickable" URLs and self-contradictory information. My one trip to the PO resulted in an antagonistic supervisor who finally "investigated the tracking" by sending an inquiry to Des Moines. LOL!  Sending an inquiry to Des Monies must be some kind of PO "inside joke"? 

Any suggestions, besides the obvious one?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

When the buyer filed INR, did you reply with the tracking number? 

Was there movement? Did ebay allow extra time for delivery?

When the refund was issued, did you do it voluntarily or did the buyer escalate and ask ebay to step in? 

I was of the understanding that if a refund was issued for INR and tracking shows delivery, your appeal should be granted.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

If it has been 30 days or less from the time the refund was issued the appeal should have gone in your favor.  If it is past 30 days, I think you are out of luck.  

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Why do you expect the USPS to refund you? They delivered the item. It could have arrived in the UK within a week and was delayed through customs. The USPS is not party to eBay policies. The item got delivered. It does not matter if it took 60 days. Your job as a seller is to chose the best shipping method to get the item to the buyer. You chose the USPS. They delivered the item. 

This is between you and the buyer. Some buyers are honest and will pay up if the item is delivered late and they were already refunded. Many won't. As it goes, it is the cost of doing business. I know it is not what you want to hear but eBay and the USPS don't owe you anything. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

When the buyer filed INR, did you reply with the tracking number? 

Was there movement? Did ebay allow extra time for delivery?

When the refund was issued, did you do it voluntarily or did the buyer escalate and ask ebay to step in? 

I was of the understanding that if a refund was issued for INR and tracking shows delivery, your appeal should be granted.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@slati_2013 wrote:

Why do you expect the USPS to refund you? They delivered the item. It could have arrived in the UK within a week and was delayed through customs. The USPS is not party to eBay policies. The item got delivered. It does not matter if it took 60 days. Your job as a seller is to chose the best shipping method to get the item to the buyer. You chose the USPS. They delivered the item. 

This is between you and the buyer. Some buyers are honest and will pay up if the item is delivered late and they were already refunded. Many won't. As it goes, it is the cost of doing business. I know it is not what you want to hear but eBay and the USPS don't owe you anything. 

yeah, it's my fault. I trusted people to be honest. 

yeah, i went to McDonalds, and i ordered some Fries, and they were delivered, 2 days later. But Mickey D told me to **bleep** off when i requested a refund.

Don't waste any more of my time.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

For anyone else, and Ebay, who seems to have trouble understanding common business practices established on this planet over the past several thousand years, let me summarize: 

i do not agree with Ebay's attempt, in 2023, to revoke the agreed-upon rules of common business practice. Such rules, guidelines for ethical business practice, have been in existence throughout planetary civilization, for several thousand years. But ebay has decided it is superior to such ethical guidelines?  

The buyer ordered an item. The seller delivered the item. EBay steps and iINTERFERES with the transaction - takes the money from the seller and gives it to the buyer.

Ebay does have the right to steal my money. 

Ebay does not appear to know RIGHT from WRONG.  

Ebay is based In California, where stealing is legal, so I can understand Ebay's false POV.   But most of us, especially the victims of theft, do not agree with it. 

The buyer has their item, I am out $350. Why am I obligated to send a $350 "gift" to some antagonistic stranger who lives in Europe?  

The least Ebay could do would be to ask the buyer to PAY for what he/she/it/them received, but Ebay is "too busy" to even communicate with the buyer and inform them of their OBLIGATION to pay for what they ORDERED and was DELIVERED to them. 

When Ebay, supposedly a "business," sets a precedent and establishes that it is acceptable to STEAL from sellers, to STEAL from Ebay's own paying customers, then EBay is setting itself up for its own extinction. If you don;t follow established rules of business, then such corruption will lead to eBay's rapid decline and end.    

Please, do not try to justify Ebay's flat-out, very clear THEFT of my money. It is very easy for eBay to send an updated invoice to the seller, and demand payment.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

It's not theft because it's a policy you agreed to when you listed the item.

If you don't agree with the terms for the service you are using then you should discontinue using the service.

You can't just make up your own rules on someone else's platform.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

If you don't agree with the terms for the service you are using then you should discontinue using the service.

Clown world. 

Ebay can not create new woke "rules" that violate and destroy commonly agreed-upon, legal, eons-old accepted business practices. Such as THOU SHALT NOT STEAL. Any more than HATO will continue tio get get away with bombing any country it pleases. The end of result of unethical behavior is chaos.  

THEFT is theft, whether you call it "ebay policy" or "chocolate cake." It's still THEFT.  

Ebay is not a "service." It is a corporation. A greedy, $billion dollar monopoly in its area of business. It facilitates the import of goods from China which undercut US sellers. It is unethical to US-based sellers and also to the US economy. Its ethics favor China, not my country. it allows China to sell with free shipping, whereas US sellers have to pay full postage price when they ship items. This is unethical behavior towards individual sellers and to the USA.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

So it's okay to steal when you define it as a "policy"? 

Ebay is a monopoly - it must allow all users and treat them in an ethical manner

Ebay can not make up their own rules that violate legal norms of doing business

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Obviously you don't want any real discussion, so it's pointless to continue.

But yeah, not theft. Simple as that. Not the echo chamber you might have wanted, sorry about that.

🙂

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Being rude to people trying to help you never ends well.  Or starts well.  Or goes well in the middle.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller wrote:

Being rude to people trying to help you never ends well.  Or starts well.  Or goes well in the middle.

It was never trying to "help" me, unless you consider "help" to consist of  "You're wrong",  insults and insincerity.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I guess your version of help is coddling and saying "poor you, you're absolutely right"?  There's nothing you can do.  Move on.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Bottom line is: 

1. Seller  sold an item

2. Buyer paid for the item

3. Ebay interfered in the transaction - took the money from the seller and give it back to the buyer.

4. Ebay now denies any responsibility.

5. Buyer refuses to pay for or return the item. 

Anyone who thinks this is a valid or legitimate way to do business needs to find a new planet.  

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

You left out the part where it wasn't delivered by the estimated delivery date, therefore failing to meet the terms of the contract the seller made with the buyer.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply