cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer received a full refund 90 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE FROM PAYPAL

Hey everyone,

One of my buyers went straight to Paypal and received a full refund for their item that was purchased from ebay 90 days ago.   Did not contact ebay or put in a request to return item or refund.   

I had no idea a buyer could do this 90 DAYS LATER.   

I contact paypal and they said they put in a claim and i didnt respond within 10 days so the buyer wins.

I never received any emails phone calls or hold on my PAYPAL account.  

There are too many scammers on EBAY, I Cant keep up with them.  Luckily Ebay refunded me the final value fee.

Paypal said there is nothing they will do for me at this point since I never responded to their email (that I never received)

I am closing my account next month with EBAY.  Good luck everyone!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Buyer received a full refund 90 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE FROM PAYPAL

I believe paypal allows claims up to 180 days. 

Paypal said there is nothing they will do for me at this point since I never responded to their email (that I never received)

You cannot rely on email - there are dozens if not hundreds of things between their email servier and your inbox that can cause them to go stray.  IMHO sellers need to log in and check their account regularly. 

I do not believe eBay or PayPal will let you close your account until the dispute window has expired - and have items that sold today. For eBay  I think that may be 45 days. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

eBay gives 30 days of buyer protection.

Paypal gives a full 180 days.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

You cannot rely on email - there are dozens if not hundreds of things between their email servier and your inbox that can cause them to go stray.  IMHO sellers need to log in and check their account regularly. 

I do not believe eBay or PayPal will let you close your account until the dispute window has expired - and have items that sold today. For eBay  I think that may be 45 days. 

If my memory serves me correct, eBay is six (6) months, just to make sure that there are no disputes/returns that are unresolved. 

@glamchick_01 - sorry this happened to you.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@glamchick_01 - you would need to wait 6 months from the last item sold before you can close your account.  

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

So sorry this happened to you, OP.  

The buyer most likely filed with Paypal because they give 180 days, as do most credit card companies, to file a claim, and as Ebay gives thirty, they went to Paypal as their next option.  

I'm sorry you were unaware.  But you have 999 feedbacks and have been selling since 2007.  Your items are lovely.  Since you have so much time invested here, you might consider re thinking closing your Ebay account~especially since this wasn't on Ebay, the buyer went through Paypal, and the result would have been the same had the buyer gone through their credit card company, plus you would have paid twenty dollars for the privilege.  

But of course, your call.  Sorry you are so upset~three months later is a long time.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

If my memory serves me correct, eBay is six (6) months, just to make sure that there are no disputes/returns that are unresolved. 

@glamchick_01 - sorry this happened to you.

I agree~I think it is 6 months as well.  

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I will close my account as soon as they allow me too.   I am just saying I am done with selling on EBAY.

I do check my account everyday both accounts.  There was no activity saying a buyer was returning anything.  Only the deduction today.   Yes, you would think there would be a hold until I responded but there was no hold just a deduction.   As a seller Paypal did no protect me by notifying me.   The rep I spoke to was very rude as I was being very nice.   

And yes I understand there is 180 day policy but I was not notified of anything happening to the return.   Ebay was not notified either.  The buyer gets a refund and keeps the item... they WIN

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

So now I am really nervous about all the other items I sold... they could refund all the other customers to withought notifying me.

Its really no fair I had no say in this and they wont reopen the case......

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I think the outcome might have been different had you responded~you might have been able to ask for a return.  I realize you said you did not get the messages.  Maybe they went to your Spam filter and after a certain amount of time, were auto deleted.  

Sorry to see you go; wishing you much success, though.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

exactly Castle.... I am very active with my accounts.

Usually with EBAY they have my PAYPAL funds held on returns... I am just not understand how they can just take the funds without warning me?

Another reason I am leaving is because I had 270 items listed with only a few sales a week and 90% of the items I sold are being returned? And they are brand new. It was costing me money to stay with ebay. Actually am negative.. I owe ebay the cost of posting. So this helped me make my decision to leave ebay.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@glamchick_01 wrote:
exactly Castle.... I am very active with my accounts.

Usually with EBAY they have my PAYPAL funds held on returns... I am just not understand how they can just take the funds without warning me?

Another reason I am leaving is because I had 270 items listed with only a few sales a week and 90% of the items I sold are being returned? And they are brand new. It was costing me money to stay with ebay. Actually am negative.. I owe ebay the cost of posting. So this helped me make my decision to leave ebay.

It seems that it's the fault of the emails going astray.  Had you known about the case, you would have known that would be coming.  

That's a daunting figure there.  90% returns!  I've heard of clothing sellers with less returns and that is a very problematic category.  Your listings looked great and the items really are lovely~you have great taste.  What reason do they give for returning?  Are all the returns that far out?  I don't mean to pry and you don't have to answer those questions.  I just find it hard to understand and I am so sorry you are going through this.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

i had a buyer file with ebay and i won then they turned with in 5 minutes and did a case with pp they won without giving me a chance to respond.
(they refused delivery ) i got the item back and sold for more,it ticked me off at time thought the buyer should pay for re delivery,now i think i would just let it go.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Funny you should mention that  you never received an email from Paypal.

As a buyer 999.99% of the time, I sadly found myself in the position of needing to return an item (a ziz-zag wall shelf, self assembly) that fell apart as I put it together, in readiness to wall mount Smiley Sad so I contacted the seller, and apologised, but said I'd need to return it.

I had an  eBay email l believe, with instructions to print-off a returns label (so far so good, or so I thought) 

Being the suspicious type, I looked over the label a number of times, while (at this point) it was attached to the box, ready for dispatch, and suddenly noticed a potential problem

The weight range of my prepaid returns label was between 0-2 kg, where as it weighs in at 5kg, so I contact eBay, and eBay say to give them 3 days to investigate. In the meantime, Paypal?   get in touch about my "due debit" (I purchased via PAD, LOVE it)

They (Paypal) are due to take my payment in a couple of days grimacing so I contact them, yesterday...@ 13:52 , and then it started...the "investigation" , if you can call it that  thinking

From PP to seller

"Message sent to **** **** ltd - Case ID PP-***-***-***-***

Your message concerning a purchase which you made on 20 October 2018 for £18.94 GBP has been sent to **** **** ltd. Please allow time for the seller to respond

And 4 minutes later open_mouth

We decided Case ID #PP-***-***-*** -*** in your favor

Date: 30/10/2018 13:56:04

"When you reported a problem with this transaction, we put your scheduled payment to **** **** ltd on hold so we could review your case. we've finished our review, and have decided the case in your favor.

We've canceled the scheduled payment for your purchase from **** **** ltd. We'll send you a separate email with the details.

Due to the unique circumstances of this case, PayPal is issuing you this refund at no cost to your seller."

Sorry guys & girls, I have no idea what the "special circumstances" are, but it's a win win from my point of view (5 shelves can still become 4 shelves)

But my point to y'all is the seller never had the chance to reply, surely...4 minutes between investigation and decision? still, I'm Smiley Happy  

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

well, it happened to me, but worse. the buyer got a refund after almost 6 months. I had no way to prove that the item was delivered, because the tracking didn't show anything anymore. so the buyer won through a "Unauthorized transaction claim through their bank.
I lost $100 and mi item
😞
since then I always keep a pdf of the delivery page from usps. it's the only protection you can have in this cases.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply