cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer quality at all time LOW

This fall, buyer quality has sunk to an ALL TIME LOW

problem #1:  aggressively bid up items, win then wants to cancel. ( the last one gave the reason that the price was too high ?....??????)

I have heard them all...my kid got into my phone, I didn’t mean to bid on this item (9 times)...

problem #2:  non payment... of the items that closed on Thanksgiving 33% are sitting in the resolution center due to non payment ...this is unacceptable ...and this  is representative of this Fall’s transactions...I spend too much time chasing payments instead of merchandising.. ( my favorite email, can I pay in 6 weeks...what? now I am a lending institution?)

eBAY, what are you doing ?   I have my buyer restriction settings at the tightest 

possible settings

the common characteristics with these dead beat buyers is:  under their current Ebay name they have bought less than 10 items.  Ebay I have no interest in being your training ground for new buyers.  My recommendations:  add to the buyer restrictions the ability to exclude new buyers under 25 purchases for sales over $50

eBAY you hold us sellers to high standards...time to do the same for buyers

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Unfortunately, while running auctions may attract views, the quality and payment follow-through of the bidders has declined over the years.   Many don’t take bids seriously.  The solution is to change your listings to a reasonable fixed price.  You can always add best offer later if items aren’t moving.  Good luck! 

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

This situation with low feedback buyers not paying on winning auctions is ebay's fault. They could put in place all kinds of ways to stop this behavior, but they instead have chosen to enable buyers that many sellers have blocks on and restrictions such as 2 or more unpaid items. Those buyers just open a new ID, and ebay does not stop them. Anything to appease the buyer and hopefully the buyer will come back to ebay and eventually pay for something they win. Ebay no doubt views this as a way to help not lose another potential buyer never to return to ebay. That the seller suffers is of no concern to ebay whatsoever. 

Your "buyers" are scouring the net looking for those UGG's cheaper. Some might wander back to ebay and pay for their winnings if they can't find them cheaper before your unpaid item dispute closes in your favor. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet

Well said!!!!

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

who still runs auctions?

I accepted a best offer a few weeks ago, and after 2 days with no payment it opened the dispute. I didn't even realize it was set up to do that since with not listing auctions I had never bothered to figure it out.

My stuff is also not taken off eBay for the week plus it takes to open and close a dispute.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Lots of us with highly desirables or rare items still run auctions. 

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

You can blame the tanking of society as a whole.

Helicopter parents running interference for their children claiming they can do no wrong.

It is all about me, me, me.

No sense of obligation.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

It's not just buyers. Seller quality is also at a all time low. SNADs, late shipping, rudeness, I've stop buying much here due to that. It's getting difficult to find good sellers.
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Too bad there's no 'Unhelpful' button.  

I don't agree that "society as a whole" is getting worse, but even if it is and even if it has anything to do with people not paying for stuff they appeared to want more than anybody else (because they bid highest), that doesn't mean Ebay can't do something about it.   

My all-time favorite quote: "When people believe there's nothing they can do, they will do worse than nothing." --Margaret Atwood.  

I'd say trying to spread the bleak cynicism itself is a good example of 'worse than nothing.'  

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

And exactly what would you like ebay to do.

They cannot no more force a buyer to purchase than they can a seller to sell.  Just had an item being listed all week.  Apparently the seller is not happy with how the bids are going and just ended it. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@2001sheba wrote:
problem #1:  aggressively bid up items, win then wants to cancel. ( the last one gave the reason that the price was too high ?....??????)

That really made me laugh out loud. Bid up the price then say it's too high. How ridiculous! At least the buyer was honest about why they didn't want to pay instead of blaming it on the cat. They told you straight up that they have no respect for your business or your time. SMH

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@2001sheba wrote:

This fall, buyer quality has sunk to an ALL TIME LOW

eBAY, what are you doing ?  

the common characteristics with these dead beat buyers is:  

Never mind eBay...what are YOU doing to reduce/prevent this issue?

The common characteristics I see is that you run all Auctions. Looks to me like many of your lower priced items sell with just one bid, the more expensive items are getting multiple bidders but they are nibbles and are not ending much higher than similar items that only get one bid.

This type of thing indicates that you know the potential value of your items and using auctions isn't bringing in much more money. If the hassles with Auctions (non-payment) isn't worth the small amount of extra money switch to fixed price with immediate payment. I'd bet that if you switched to Fixed Price and boosted your prices by 10% you would eliminate most of your non-payment issues and possible make even more sales.

At one time I ran exclusively Auctions, it worked fine for many years at least I thought it was working well but when I switched to Fixed Price about 10 years ago when I found that Auctions rarely sold for much more than my starting price. The bonus was that even without IPR my non-payment issues practically vanished.

Bottom line, if something isn't working don't ask what eBay can do, ask what YOU can do to improve the situation. eBay provides the tools (FP with IPR and blocks on non-payers) but you have to use them.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Ebay is trying to entice and court new buyers to come to the site.  Everyone started with zero and in the interest of growth and increased sale, they aren't going to allow blocking new members; they never have.

Making it harder for buyers to buy is not going to increase anyone's sales, but if you are concerned about non paying bidders, just list using fixed price, immediate payment required.  The listing stays active until someone buys and pays for it immediately.  Over 80% of all listings are fixed price, IPR.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@lunalapin1912 wrote:
It's not just buyers. Seller quality is also at a all time low. SNADs, late shipping, rudeness, I've stop buying much here due to that. It's getting difficult to find good sellers.

Great post.  True, but often met with incredulity and denial, a request to buy elsewhere, or it's the buyer's fault.  

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I received a beautiful feedback last night from a buyer. One of the best in awhile. It is not a coincidence that we share a love of Jesus Christ.

Just saying.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply