cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer paid with PayPal but asked if he can do local pick up. How do I avoid a ding?

cuervo759
Adventurer

Buyer paid immediately with PP for a $120 + item but asked if he can do local pick up. I have no problem with local pick up as I sell locally online also. It is a low scam very small lightweight item but he needs it ASAP for a project and the USPS has been very wonky lately. I did search for an answer but things change so rapidly on ebay I thought it best to come here and ask for the latest info. Is there anyway to do this to avoid a ding?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Buyer paid with PayPal but asked if he can do local pick up. How do I avoid a ding?

I see only one way is to cancel the transaction somehow, per buyer's request maybe?  And then relist with an option for a local pickup. However what complicates matters is that your buyer already paid.  

I would probably explain that since local pickup was not included in the original listing, there's nothing you can do about it per eBay rules. Something like that

Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Buyer paid with PayPal but asked if he can do local pick up. How do I avoid a ding?

@cuervo759,

Before ebay made it much easier to add local pickup to listings, I had to do the same thing several times. First set a date and time to meet, To send a phone number you have to break it up.  say "contact me at 000- 000 extension 0000"  they should be able to  figure that out.

The buyer shows up inspects the item and accepts it, you mark it as shipped on the spot if you use the app and a phone, or do that as soon as you get home.  Leave a feedback for them at the same time.  If the buyer uses a phone and the app ask them to leave feedback on the spot or as soon as they get home. Tell them to mention allowing a local pickup in the comment. 

Keep in mind that tracking is not a requirement on ebay, so marking the item manually as shipped is fine.    If ebay's bots try to give you a ding (it will show up on the 20th of each month)  you can call customer service and get it removed, they can check the buyers feedback left for you the transaction, then remove the defect.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Because even on a local pickup item an electronic payment method must also be offered, you can

ask the buyer to sign a copy of the eBay order form at the time of pickup - which can be used as proof

of pick up without a QR code.

In the Policy > If you don't want to use the app, ask the buyer to sign a copy of the eBay order form at the time of pickup.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you all for such excellent advice so early in the morning. It is appreciated.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

There is some new scan feature on the ebay app for local pickups so you're covered and can't fall victim to a chargeback. I have not used it as I only do cash on pickup for local sales, but I have read that it's there somewhere. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply