cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer paid for the item, and then now saying did not agree to purchase it after shipment.

I recently sold an item and shipped it out within the day.

The buyer at first made an offer for it, which I accepted. The buyer also paid for said offer plus the shipping cost. Now the buyer is messaging me saying this:

"I did not agree to buy this item. I only made an offer. I shall have my bank dispute the payment. If you refund my money, I shall teturn the item to you."

What can I do here? I already told the buyer to request a refund once the item arrives so I can provide a return label and give them the refund, but it sounds sketchy.

I don't want to get banned or anything.

Overall timeline:

- November 16, 2023: Buyer makes offer. I accept offer, and then ship it out the same day.

- November 17, 2023: buyer sends the above message

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Buyer paid for the item, and then now saying did not agree to purchase it after shipment.

@shiffy96 wrote:

I recently sold an item and shipped it out within the day.

The buyer at first made an offer for it, which I accepted. The buyer also paid for said offer plus the shipping cost. Now the buyer is messaging me saying this:

"I did not agree to buy this item. I only made an offer. I shall have my bank dispute the payment. If you refund my money, I shall teturn the item to you."

What can I do here? I already told the buyer to request a refund once the item arrives so I can provide a return label and give them the refund, but it sounds sketchy.

I don't want to get banned or anything.

Overall timeline:

- November 16, 2023: Buyer makes offer. I accept offer, and then ship it out the same day.

- November 17, 2023: buyer sends the above message

How about this:

"Dear Buyer,

When you make an offer you are notified that it's binding if accepted by the seller. You chose to make an offer which I accepted. I have now shipped your item. Please start a return upon receipt and your money will be refunded when the item is received back.

Thank you,

Seller"

You can tweak that, writing stuff like this isn't my strength, but I have a bit of fun dealing with these types of nitwits. What kind of dummy makes an offer and then gets mad when it's accepted. This is partially why I don't rush to ship things that sell, even when I print labels stuff sits around for another 12 hours before it goes anywhere. That shouldn't happen, but it helps when something like this comes up.

You don't return until you get your item back, period. That's how it works here.

BTW, what was the item? A high scam thing?

C.

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Re: Buyer paid for the item, and then now saying did not agree to purchase it after shipment.

Yeah that's what I pretty much responded with and mentioned they can get a refund when I get my item back.

The item I sold is a USB Wi-Fi adapter... I doubt it's a high scam item? (Idk can you mine Bitcoin on them now?) I listed it for $7.50 plus shipping and the guy offered $5.50..

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

I don't imagine anyone is pulling intentional scams on $5.50 items... 

There are buyers who clearly don't understand offers. Offers mean you're comitting to buy. Some believe they are entitled to offer on 3 diff items to compare prices, and only follow through with the one they like best even if all 3 are accepted. Buyer probably submitted payment/address for auto-pay (likely was required) and didn't understand that either.

Sad that buyer would even threaten a payment dispute on a $5 item... geez....

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

I did not require auto-pay for that item (mainly because I forgot to check that option), so the buyer clicked on pay and is now saying this. Hopefully eBay doesn't side against me lol.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

@shiffy96 wrote:

I did not require auto-pay for that item (mainly because I forgot to check that option), so the buyer clicked on pay and is now saying this. Hopefully eBay doesn't side against me lol.

@shiffy96 

You sound like you are confusing "Immediate Payment Required" and your auto pay settings. They are two totally different things for different purposes. "Immediate Payment Required" is/can be a listing specific setting and applies to Buy It Now purchases (not offer purchases). Auto-pay is a blanket setting, not listing specific and covers auction bids & offers. If you're unaware of Auto Pay settings as I have described, you likely have them turned on. You are automatically opted into them as a seller, and they are in your deeper seller settings. I think under Selling Preferences? Somewhere in that vicinity

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Sorry yes you're correct. I did not require immediate payment for that item.

I'll check out that setting to be more aware. Thanks!

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

FYI @shiffy96 

Your DashCam that you are "giving away"... i hope you realize YOU will PAY for the pleasure of giving it to someone. You have Priority Mail FR Medium Box listed at Comm price, so there is no extra money in shipping. So you're charging the buyer $15, you will pay all of that $14. You'll have $1 to cover fees ... you'll end up paying fees out of pocket. I imagine your fees will be in the neighborhood of $2.50, you'll pay $1.50 out of pocket.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

Explains why buyer says "I only made an offer, I didn't agree to payment". Must be auto-pay ... Many buyers are extremely put-off by the concept that their cards are automatically charged after an offer being accepted. The buyers either feel offended as they have lost autonomy and dislike the concept of auto-charge ... although there is no reason to really be upset over it at face value (yes, it has issues with combined shipping and such, but buyers are still upset simply b/c the card is being charged automatixally) ... it's change and that irritates people. What's "worse" is it prevents buyers from making offers they aren't committed to. I mean, it's great, for sellers, but buyers who like that practice of making offers they aren't going to commit to, they hate the idea of auto-charge CC, it ruins their practice of offers.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

@shiffy96 wrote:

Sorry yes you're correct. I did not require immediate payment for that item.

I'll check out that setting to be more aware. Thanks!

Below is a pic of what your Buyer Requirement section might look like.  Go to your Site Preferences and then Buyer Requirements.

Buyer Requirements 8-8-23 Pg 1.jpgBuyer Requirements 8-8-23.jpg

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 37
latest reply

Tell the buyer to simply mark the package "return to sender" and give it back to USPS. Let them know you will refund them either when you can see that it is on the way back to you or when it actual gets back to you.

Doing anything else is going to cost you even more money than just the cost of original shipping.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

"I regret that you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a full refund."

If he wants a refund without a return:

"I regret that you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a full refund."

If he wants a  partial refund:

If he goes to eBay:

EBay may require you to pay for return shipping *, if so send the Return Shipping Label promptlywith a note.

If  he sends it, refund.

If he doesn't eBay will not demand a refund and eventually the cost of the label will be refunded to you.

If he does a credit card chargeback:

EBay usually backs up sellers when the seller is cooperating with the chargeback, and requesting the return normally counts as cooperating.

*There is some leeway on Buyer Remorse returns.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

Buyer probably submitted payment/address for auto-pay (likely was required) and didn't understand that either.

This is another reason why I don't think auto-pay is a good idea.

EBay caved in to the impatient sellers who couldn't stand the idea of waiting 96 hours for payment .

@shiffy96 

The auto-pay was added to seller's listings without notice.

It is an option, but you  have to manually remove it.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@slippinjimmy 

Should you mention to the customer that if they do this, the seller is not required to refund anything to that "Undeliverable" address?

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

@slippinjimmy 

Should you mention to the customer that if they do this, the seller is not required to refund anything to that "Undeliverable" address?

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Most sellers would not step through that door.  They would honor what they explained to their buyer.  The seller was just trying to save a little money on the return shipment.  Besides a seller that does honor the refund when the item does come back to them is likely to be short lived on Ebay as their FB would start to reflect that.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 37
latest reply