cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer paid for the item, and then now saying did not agree to purchase it after shipment.

I recently sold an item and shipped it out within the day.

The buyer at first made an offer for it, which I accepted. The buyer also paid for said offer plus the shipping cost. Now the buyer is messaging me saying this:

"I did not agree to buy this item. I only made an offer. I shall have my bank dispute the payment. If you refund my money, I shall teturn the item to you."

What can I do here? I already told the buyer to request a refund once the item arrives so I can provide a return label and give them the refund, but it sounds sketchy.

I don't want to get banned or anything.

Overall timeline:

- November 16, 2023: Buyer makes offer. I accept offer, and then ship it out the same day.

- November 17, 2023: buyer sends the above message

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Buyer paid for the item, and then now saying did not agree to purchase it after shipment.

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

Ahhh, sorry. Sometimes I forget to apply "reason" when it comes to EBay seller protections. 😉 I suppose I'm too cynical sometimes

It is quite the surprise when eBay does something logical 🤣  Something right 🤣

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

Re: Buyer paid for the item, and then now saying did not agree to purchase it after shipment.

The buyer messaged me saying they decided to keep the item and not ask for a return over a low value item. That's that then 👍

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

Are you suggesting that providing a tracking # and proving you shipped to the "correct" address will protect you from a chargeback/dispute that claims "I didn't authorize this transaction"??? Did I get something wrong here in the details?

Here's the policy @ajs_coins_and_alchemy :

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

It is NOT a "prepay" system @ajs_coins_and_alchemy .  The buyer does give what their payment source would be if the purchase goes through either by the seller accepting the buyer's offer OR by winning the auction.  But in neither type does any member have to "prepay" for their potential purchase.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 34 of 37
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

In such instances all you would need to do, if anything, is to provide the tracking # again for a chargeback dispute

Am I missing something?

Are you suggesting that providing a tracking # and proving you shipped to the "correct" address will protect you from a chargeback/dispute that claims "I didn't authorize this transaction"??? Did I get something wrong here in the details?

It would be protection under Ebay seller Protection.  So if the CCC still ruled for the buyer, the money should come from Ebay, not the seller.  If for any reason they take the money from the seller or charge the seller the $20 fee, appeal it.  It should all get reversed.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 35 of 37
latest reply

I'm sorry, I know that, I goofed. I should have said and meant to say "pre-authorize" payment. 

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

In such instances all you would need to do, if anything, is to provide the tracking # again for a chargeback dispute

Am I missing something?

It would be protection under Ebay seller Protection.  So if the CCC still ruled for the buyer, the money should come from Ebay, not the seller.  If for any reason they take the money from the seller or charge the seller the $20 fee, appeal it.  It should all get reversed.

The relevant eBay policy is here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293#secti...

slippinjimmy_1-1700387809565.png

Message 37 of 37
latest reply