cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opens dispute in PayPal after Ebay closes in my (seller) favor, now what

Under my selling ID, Chinese-based buyer had item shipped to freight forwarding company in California-- company took delivery of it 12/27/16. Buyer open INAD claiming items are damaged on 1/11/17. I called Ebay, they opened case and closed in my favor due to involvement of 3rd party shipping. 

Not surprisingly, 1 week later I wake up to a dispute through PayPal for INAD, once again claiming damage with the statement "I even told you to package good" Ah well I did but that's besides the point I know...

I called PayPal thinking they would open then close a case, finding in my favor also due to 3rd party shipping. But -- CSR said she took notes and released the funds and that I could either escalate for a PayPal decision or wait to see if buyer escalates and if not, this closes on 2/6/17.

I was leery to escalate without a rep stating it would close in my favor -- like how it happened in Ebay.  But, perhaps PayPal handles escalations differently, that they cannot open/close the same?  She also told me that if buyer escalates that I can appeal...

Not sure if I have an informed CSR here and everything she is telling me is valid...?... Would truly appreciate guidance from those who have had similar experiences with PayPal, this is my first PayPay-based dispute, THANK YOU!!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Buyer opens dispute in PayPal after Ebay closes in my (seller) favor, now what

@missjen316 wrote:

@slee56 wrote:
Are you saying that I can't win regardless of whether a 3rd party shipper was involved since they are stating NAD? Or that would be the case for non 3rd-party shipping involvements? Thanks 🙂

Yes you can't win. Sellers very rarely win paypal SNADS and paypal doesn't have the forwarding clause ebay has so the fact that a 3rd party fowarded the item to the buyer is a moot point. paypal buyer protection does not excluded forwarded items from SNAD protection. IT SHOULD BUT.....paypal will not eat the loss on all credit card chargebacks this would cause.

In other words, PayPal covers the bases that eBay does not for your "buyer".

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 31 of 46
latest reply

Re: Buyer opens dispute in PayPal after Ebay closes in my (seller) favor, now what

Thanks to everyone for their replies and such.... so ridiculous, I stand to lose $80 so am not taking this well lol    Since my funds are no longer being held, should I just let this continue in limbo for the time being and hope it times out? Because that seems like it is my only hope, other than playing the return for refund game, and I have no idea what I would get back anyway in that scenario...

Curious: would PayPal tell me how it was paid for (to see if I risk a credit card chargeback if I don't peacefully give in lol)

Also wondering, is there a way to request at some point that this thread be deleted? Don't really want to publicize the info shared here, for obvious reasons...

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Odds are god they'll refund the buyer and allow them to keep the merchandise and tell you you'll need to work out some kind of return with the buyer..

Nah, this is not the normal outcome.  When you are hgher volumn seller you pretty much experience all these ideas you hear about in the forum.

I do not recall exactly what the details were about my case that is very similar to the OP's, but I do remember escalating with paypal personal while I was on the phone and being able to provide gathered proof and include eBay findings to receive a positive outcome from paypal.

I also recall that the rep at paypal and I was able to communicate from the perspective that I was the seller asking questions about how to move forward, which seemed refreshing from eBay CSR who rarely knows if you are trying to win a case or get a refund.

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

I did call PayPal again, proceeded by explaining how Ebay had already found in my favor, explained about the freight forwarding involvement, etc. Got a great easy-to-understand and seasoned CSR who escalated and closed in my favor. He said a freight forwarding company has the responsibility to report damage when they receive the package....  That the item was received in described condition to it's shipping address...

I told him my next fear was the credit card dispute. Yes, it was paid for by a credit card (China-based) and he strongly felt any dispute would be shut down by PayPal for the same reasons it was shut down twice already.  I got the CSR's name 😉

Thanks everyone for the varied thoughts and assistance! Am still concerned about the visibility of some of the thoughts here, though, should I try to get this thread erased (if at all possible)??

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

There is nothing in this thread that is not on the net or youtube.  Great to hear your outcome.

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

I found this outcome to be very helpful recently. I brought up the reason thr rep used to close out the case in sellers favor, and it helped 100%. I honestly don't trust most reps to know what the the rules are. So i usually end up calling more than once to get some more reps to take a look nd ususlly one finds something. Sometimes its a rule thats totally new to me nd most are NOT found online .

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

i had this happen and i had funds put on hold with paypal..they ended up ruling in my favor because the buyer cant get the items and the money..have u told paypal ebay already ruled in your favor
Message 37 of 46
latest reply

Same thing has happened to me claiming wrong products but it's really over 15.00 shipping to Canada and I paid 43.00 to ship. Nothing satisfies. Doesn't want to send back but wants a refund.  Wth????

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

offered refund when I get the products back. Still doesn't want to.

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

Wasn't there a recent thread where it was stated by eBay reps that if the seller won an eBay case, the buyer was automatically prevented from opening one on PayPal?  

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

This just happened to me.  A buyer opened a dispute with Ebay over a used purse she bid on and won.  Ebay found the case in my favor (buyer's remorse), since the item was described in detail with many pictures.

About a week later, the buyer filed a dispute through Paypal.  I submitted my information, including the Ebay case number and outcome.  However, I just received an email through PayPal that they awarded the buyer a refund once she returns the purse.

This is so frustrating.  I have been on the phone with Paypal for 30+ minutes, about 20 of that on hold, waiting to talk to someone about this.  What's the point of filing a dispute with one if the other negates the origial outcome??

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

wrote:
Are you saying that I can't win regardless of whether a 3rd party shipper was involved since they are stating NAD? Or that would be the case for non 3rd-party shipping involvements? Thanks 🙂

Yep. Just happened to me. I've been complaining about this very thing for weeks and no one really listens.

I won the Ebay case but lost the pay enemy case. the pay pal case was filed one hundred and seventy days after the sale.

Sent it to a freight forward company in California.  U.S. EBay account, U.S. email account, U.S. shipping address.  I'd be willing to bet the same one the op did!

They are sending your items over seas and when they show up in Korea they are filing these claims.

Long story short, pay pal told me since I can't prove it was sent overseas, even though I proved to them it was sent to a freight forward company. I loose.

They beat me up trying to get a partial but I made them send it back because it was a anniversary

clock worth over one hundred dollars.

Got it back a month later box beat to carp, no insurance and ruined.

I have all the blocks in place and never wanted to send one of these clocks abroad. This person owns the freight forward company buys hundreds of items a day.

OP, google the address you sent your item to. I'll bet you find pages of complaints about this outfit. I showed all of this to pay pal and they could care less!

I've said it before, if you thing you don't ship overseas you are mistaken!

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

wrote:

From Paypal:  so the buyer IS responsible for the cost of online viewable return shipping.

Important: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party specified by PayPal as part of the settlement of your claim.  PayPal’s Purchase Protection program does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

wrote:

From Paypal:  so the buyer IS responsible for the cost of online viewable return shipping.

Important: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party specified by PayPal as part of the settlement of your claim.  PayPal’s Purchase Protection program does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

They have ten days to print a shipping label. In my case they printed the label on day nine but didn't get it to the carrier in California for another tweleve days. that's twenty one days! Plenty of time to get it back from Korea especially when you own the company.

The scam is the partial. I refused. Since it was such an expense item they sent it back. Most people just give in.

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

I'm in the middle of one of these, buyer opens a case via ebay as items are damaged, I accept the retrurn, buyer fails to return items within 14 days. eBay closes case in my favour as the items were not returned. About two weeks later the buyer opens a case on PayPal saying the items are damaged, I explain to PayPal that they've already had 14 days on ebay to return them and they failed and ebay closed the case, I am currently waiting for PP response on this. THEN the buyer uses the old return label on eBay to bypass paying for the return resulting in me being charged for a return after a case is closed (a fee which has now been refunded). I will keep you updated but judging by this thread it looks like I am done and I am going to get stung.

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

IS THIS TRUE?  THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU!

Message 45 of 46
latest reply