cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is demanding that I contact USPS about an incorrect address that HE messed up.

A buyer is on my case today and blowing me up with messages about how I'm the one who needs to contact USPS about an incorrect address.

Mind you, the item in question was shipped on March 4th, and he is just now getting around to notifying me that he provided an incorrect address on eBay for the order. Apparently he left out his apartment number, but other than that the address is the same. I was initially very polite and helpful and suggested that "it's okay, these things happen" and "if the item gets returned to sender then I will ship it back out immediately." I ended my reply by suggesting that he contacts his local USPS immediately to see is he can get this resolved.

He didn't like my response and went off the rails after that with all of these demands that I need to make this right.

My question for the community is is it even possible for me to make his mistake "right"? Isn't it out of our hands after we drop it off at the post office, especially in this situation where the buyer provided an incorrect address? To make things even more complicated, he's in Canada and I'm in the states.

His next course of action is to "speak with eBay" about how I'm choosing to handle this. 

Also, this is the type of buyer that I'd rather not communicate with any longer. I was very polite and made practical suggestions on how he can try to get his package, so would it be okay to cease communication at this point? based on experience, there's no winning with this type of buyer and I feel like they get a rise out of taking their frustrations out on eBay sellers.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Buyer is demanding that I contact USPS about an incorrect address that HE messed up.

I get items mailed to me without an apartment number. Buyer has their name and address and that should be fine. I seriously doubt buyer lives in a building of 1000 apartments.

Google the address to see how many apartments together it looks like of the building.

I wouldn't email the buyer anymore unless you see it is a tiny building with 4 apartments.

Is this a buyer with feedback? Because if apartment number is not on address of eBay site...how would they have they gotten packages before?

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Re: Buyer is demanding that I contact USPS about an incorrect address that HE messed up.

Thanks for your reply. I just double checked their username and they are a new buyer and their only feedback is from me (auto-feedback).

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Ooof.

No, there isn't much else you can do.  And obviously they aren't going to discuss it reasonably.  You are probably going to get a red donut no matter what, because this is how that buyer will be.  In their mind you are going to be the one wrong, even when its their fault.

You already did what you needed to do. At this point, you need to wait and see what happens with the package arrival and go from there.

Being its in Canada and you are shipping from the US, ugh.  You have a border to deal with too.  If its not an expensive item, may end up taking a loss on the sale, as offering a return may not be cost effective either.  (I don't know what you sold or for how much)

Keep your cool though, don't stoop to that level. It never looks good for the seller.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

This is one of those times we can hope you used Ebay International Shipping (EIS) and not USPS and Canada post.

If you used EIS, this is not your problem. It belongs to EIS.

You cannot redirect an international shipment so there is nothing you can do.

You can suggest the buyer contact Canada Post, but he won't because he screwed up and would have to admit it.

I am so glad I do not sell clothing. There are way too many high maintenance buyers for clothing.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

The buyer can demand all he wants.

You're welcome to assist the buyer in any way you want, but since it is HIS error, I would let him deal with it.

If it comes back to you undeliverable, that is HIS fault and you will not be held responsible by ebay.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Hopefully item is returned to you.

I would not contact buyer.

I never leave feedback first for new buyers...by the way.

You might get lucky on item returned to you...or buyer is no longer a user on eBay which they won't get a refund from you.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. I always choose the high road but sometimes it's hard when you're getting repeatedly chewed out for a buyers mistake. Like you suggested, I will keep an eye on the tracking to see how it plays out and go from there. I'm in a bit of a dilemma though because I feel like eBay would rather me continue to reply to this buyer instead of "leaving them on read," but how do you reply to somebody who is clearly feeding off my replies and trying to get under my skin? I think it's best if I ignore this buyer from here on out but isn't ignoring them a bad thing in eBays eyes?

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. Sadly I used the latter.... USPS and Canada Post. So am I doomed? And I agree 100% with your last sentence.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

That's great news and thank you for responding. Now, should I keep entertaining his messages or just mark them as read and keep it moving? Only reason I ask is because I'm typically a very responsive seller (as I'm sure we all are) and like to be as helpful and as fast as possible when replying to peoples messages. I'm just worried that if/when this order escalates that eBay *might* assume that I'm unhelpful if I choose to stop responding... and then things would definitely go in this buyers favor.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I looked at a few of your listings and they just had EIS to Canada. Was this a listing that you had a choice of using the post office instead of EIS?

As @inhawaii pointed out, if you did use USPS/CP  and the item is undeliverable because the address isn't complete (and you mailed it to the address with payment), you would win an INR claim as long as tracking showed the item couldn't be delivered or was attempted to be delivered.

You just have to enter your tracking number in the case if one is opened.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@rubylionretro wrote:

That's great news and thank you for responding. Now, should I keep entertaining his messages or just mark them as read and keep it moving? Only reason I ask is because I'm typically a very responsive seller (as I'm sure we all are) and like to be as helpful and as fast as possible when replying to peoples messages. I'm just worried that if/when this order escalates that eBay *might* assume that I'm unhelpful if I choose to stop responding... and then things would definitely go in this buyers favor.

I am also a very responsive seller, but in a case like this I think it will only make things worse if you continue to communicate with the buyer.  If you think communicating with the buyer will help, then by all means.   Your call.  Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

You can let the buyer know that the delivery is now completely out of your hands at this point, and if you could help them you most certainly would. Assure them that if the package gets redirected, lost , that they will be compensated and hopefully you had some kind of insurance on this to cover it if you have to refund the purchase to the buyer. I know it was not your fault. Hopefully it will get redirected back to you and then you can tell them you will reship, or again refund the purchase.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

This is the part I'm referring to

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item

Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyer

Not covered

The buyer arranged their own shipping method, such as a courier pickup

Not covered
The buyer provided an invalid or incorrect address at checkout

Not covered

You might politely draw the buyer's attention to this interesting eBay policy.

He provided an inadequate address.

You get to keep the item and the money.

Cease communications.

If he opens an INR claim, provide the tracking information promptly.

He loses the case and his money.

Then let him ask for a refund politely.

I'd suggest a partial. Without the fees and the shipping you paid out from his payment.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Great, thank you for that information. The item was one of my oldest listings (I believe it was 2+ years old) so the shipping policy was out of wack. I typically use EIS.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply