cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer has scammed me

About a week ago, I sold two legos store displays, they were in great condition and was expensive to ship as they were very large, when the two displays arrived buyer claimed the boxes I had sent them in were filled with nothing but sticks and logs, and says he wishes to return the items, I refused because I would be losing around 1,400 I don’t know what I should do, eBay refunded the money to him and I got nothing but screwed over, what should I do? Call the police? Sue? I don’t know.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buyer has scammed me

The return policies options are as follows.

1. No Returns
  2. 30 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  3. 60 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  4. 30 day returns w/ seller pays shipping, AKA Free Returns
  5. 60 day returns w/ seller pays shipping. AKA Free Returns
  6. 14 Day returns in certain categories

With option number 1, No Returns the seller can completely deny taking a return for a Buyer's Remorse Return Request.  Or if they want to they can accept the return and have the buyer pay the return shipping.  If the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

On options 2 & 3 the buyer is responsible for the return shipping on a Buyer's Remorse Return.  Plus if the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer. As of October 1st 2019, sellers that are TRS have some additional protections as well as they can issue partial refunds if they options 2 or 3 as their return policy.

On options 4 & 5 above, they are also known as Free Returns.  If a seller that has either of those policies they will pay the return shipping even on a buyer's remorse return.  A seller can withhold the original shipping value from the refund if the shipping was separately stated in the listing [not free shipping].  Also Seller’s offering options 4 or 5 have the ability to do partial refunds in certain cases if the item arrives back damaged, missing something or in a condition less than what it was sent to the buyer in, see the policy for more details, the link is below.  In the cases where a deduction in the refund is taken due to damage or other authorized reasons for a partial refund, Ebay will protect the seller from negative or neutral feedback.

ALL OPTIONS [1, 2, 3, 4 and 5] are required to process SNAD claims without exception.  Even if they are improperly filed and should have been a Buyer’s Remorse claim.

All return policies by sellers must meet or exceed what is stated in the Money Back Guarantee Policy!

14 day return policies are allowed in certain categories: Jewelry & Watches, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo and Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment.

For those with Free Return and/or TRS members with 30 day return policies, there are some added protection benefits, one of which is the ability to do a discounted refund under certain conditions.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Buyer has scammed me

So the buyer open a IND and you did nothing and eBay had to step in and refunded?

More information needed but I think there is not much you can do now

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

The return policies options are as follows.

1. No Returns
  2. 30 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  3. 60 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  4. 30 day returns w/ seller pays shipping, AKA Free Returns
  5. 60 day returns w/ seller pays shipping. AKA Free Returns
  6. 14 Day returns in certain categories

With option number 1, No Returns the seller can completely deny taking a return for a Buyer's Remorse Return Request.  Or if they want to they can accept the return and have the buyer pay the return shipping.  If the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

On options 2 & 3 the buyer is responsible for the return shipping on a Buyer's Remorse Return.  Plus if the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer. As of October 1st 2019, sellers that are TRS have some additional protections as well as they can issue partial refunds if they options 2 or 3 as their return policy.

On options 4 & 5 above, they are also known as Free Returns.  If a seller that has either of those policies they will pay the return shipping even on a buyer's remorse return.  A seller can withhold the original shipping value from the refund if the shipping was separately stated in the listing [not free shipping].  Also Seller’s offering options 4 or 5 have the ability to do partial refunds in certain cases if the item arrives back damaged, missing something or in a condition less than what it was sent to the buyer in, see the policy for more details, the link is below.  In the cases where a deduction in the refund is taken due to damage or other authorized reasons for a partial refund, Ebay will protect the seller from negative or neutral feedback.

ALL OPTIONS [1, 2, 3, 4 and 5] are required to process SNAD claims without exception.  Even if they are improperly filed and should have been a Buyer’s Remorse claim.

All return policies by sellers must meet or exceed what is stated in the Money Back Guarantee Policy!

14 day return policies are allowed in certain categories: Jewelry & Watches, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo and Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment.

For those with Free Return and/or TRS members with 30 day return policies, there are some added protection benefits, one of which is the ability to do a discounted refund under certain conditions.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

Since you refused to accept the return, the buyer ask Ebay to step in and when they do, they usually refund the buyer from your account and let them keep the item.

You should have accepted the return and provided a shipping label, then leave it up to the buyer.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

Looks like you just made a giant mess.   You sold these displays several times so what's up with that?    I think you need to learn how to sell on ebay.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

You lost the money due to denying the buyer's Return Request because you didn't understand the return process and what your right are and aren't.  You should have never denied the claim.  When you let Ebay step in [which you should never do] the outcome was what it will always be.  They would refund the buyer in full from your money, you don't get your FVFs refunded and you get a defect on your selling account which if you get too many of these, it will significantly impact the health of your account.

I don't however understand how you lost $1,400.  Would you please explain that.  You sold the item for $100.00 with a little less than $5 for shipping.  Which clearly you understated what the shipping cost should have been.

If you are going to continue to sell, you should do your homework and understand the basics of selling here or there could be more expensive lessons in your future.  Since you are new, NEVER assume you know the correct way to handle something.  As you can see from the outcome here, assuming is expensive.

Here are some important links to areas you should really take the time to learn about as a new seller.

https://academy.ebay.com/student/catalog?locale=en

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/selling?id=4081

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/get-started/seller-fees.html

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/funds-availability.html

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=415...

https://www.ebay.com/help/listings/creating-managing-listings/creating-listing?id=4105

And make sure you know this policy extremely well.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

You have no recourse with ebay.  It's a done deal.

Once ebay refunds the buyer the case is closed.

Yes, you CAN call the police.

Yes, you CAN sue.

Sorry this happened to you.

------------------------------

As others have said, the next time this happens, accept the return.

The buyer will not get refunded until you get your item back.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

I am assuming you are talking about the two sets below. I will also assume buyer opened a NAD case with eBay which you did not respond to, the buyer asked eBay to step in after 3 days and eBay fully refunded the buyer without requiring them to return the items. The problem is this is a you said/they said situation and eBay is almost always going to side with the buyer especially since you did not respond to the case. 

Not only did eBay fully refund the buyer but I suspect they still hit you with the FVF's and you now have a ding against your performance metrics for not resolving the case without eBay intervention. You have "seller does not accept returns" in your listings but you should read the MBG and understand that does NOT translate to no refunds. 

You are a fairly new seller and the number 1 rule is never list anything on eBay you are not prepared to take the financial loss on. Scammers tend to target newer sellers that have a no returns policy and are listing high dollar and high target items. 

About all you can do is file a case with the buyers local police department. Your actual loss on the two items are whatever you paid for them + FVF's eBay charged and what you paid to ship them. While not much consolidation that loss is a tax write off for 2024. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1707597335499.png

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

@cajenn_31 

So very sorry for your situation.  However as others have stated, you did not accept the return.  NO returns on eBay does not mean NO refunds.  You should really re familiarize your self about selling here on Ebay & what it entails. Read up on rules, policies and the money back guarantee that all buyers have up to 30 days.  This is not a venue where you can just sell & dash, that's why there is a guarantee to hold the seller responsible in the event like the one you experienced.  Had you accepted the return, the outcome may have been different.  Lesson learned. 

Again sorry for your situation. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

We do understand that not all buyer feedback is 100% true, and we understand not all seller information here is always 100% correct

We do understand that starting out here especially with all the new rules can be an overwhelming experience.

All I can say is take this experience and learn from it and try and better yourself for selling here.   

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

I don't see any Legos you sold about a week ago, the most recent was sold almost a month ago. At any rate, I'm going to assume your buyer is a liar and that's a shame. Unfortunately if you don't play along and issue a return label to the buyer; they will usually allow them to keep the item AND get a refund. 

If you get the police involved, I really don't know how you will prove your case and you already have a negative from another person over Legos supposedly not being what they should have been AND you allegedly left them holding the bag on the remaining shipping fees. All of this makes you look like a bad seller.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

I recommend that for future sales and for items so expensive for you to take a picture before you ship them to the buyer and send then to them. This should discourage them for  scamming you. In addition, if there are some identifying mark, for example serial number, make and model record it. Sometime buyers will send you their damaged goods and ask for a refund.

Good luck

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

They were going to get back a box of sticks and logs anyway so not sure what good it would have done to pay to get that junk returned. Selling lego's is almost as bad as selling iPhones unfortunately and a new seller should never sell either one.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Buyer has scammed me

@cajenn_31

How unfortunate - By our experience, buyer fraud is a HUGE point of concern here - I see people telling you, you should have accepted the return, but why would you pay another $150 to get back a box of sticks and logs right? - And being new, you probably thought the site would have your back in such a ridiculous and obvious case of fraud right? - Been there done that - It is the MAIN reason we do not list here anymore - And as you also found out through hard knocks, that is not the case - Any item you list here is at risk for buyer fraud and the site backs up the buyers virtually every time in "not as described" cases.

That said, file Mail fraud report with your PO - Police reports with Depts in both locales - IC3 Internet fraud report - and a BBB Complaint - Use the information and documents to file an appeal - You can sue, but it will likely be a "your word against theirs" thing in this case - Best of luck

Message 14 of 14
latest reply