cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer doesn´t want to deal with DHL to pay his import taxes and he is asking to cancel the sale

Buyer is asking me to cancel the sale because he doesn´t want to deal with DHL his package is already at Canadian customs and waiting his import tax payment ... 

I replied him that i can´t cancel unless i get the package back to me. He tells me he is ok with it  and he can wait until i get the package back. 

Should i call DHL and ask them to return the package or waiting him to open an Ebay request? 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Buyer doesn´t want to deal with DHL to pay his import taxes and he is asking to cancel the sale

If the package intercept is a free service offered by DHL, I would initiate this process immediately.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@comicscauldron,

Why did you ship with DHL, if this was going from the USA (or Mexico) to Canada?

DHL (and most other couriers) charge a hefty brokerage fee to take items through customs. Why should your buyer have to pay that undisclosed fee IN ADDITION TO the import taxes?

International items should be shipped by the post office to avoid unnecessary fees.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Same question as lacemaker.  I wish you provided the value of the order. Based  based on the USMCA trade agreement signed several years ago between the US Canada and Mexico, the buyer does not pay any taxes nor import duties up to a certain limit (below the de minimis value). DHL is ripping you/customer off charging for their "service" which amount to nothing!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Was it a comic book worth a lot? Buyer just assumed like most sellers do it would be sent normal like maybe registered mail. I sent stuff registered mail to Canada. Not cheap....but buyer assumed you would list it as a magazine worth nothing on a customs form maybe. Registered mail from USA to Canada is handled like it is gold in a figure of speech. I talk to clerks at post office maybe 3 times a week. Best to ask buyer in the future of mailing something. I never buy the insurance thing. Insurance is good if it gets lost or disappears in the mail. I kind of wonder how many sellers actually declare what it is they are mailing...just a thought.

You want to take care of this buyer due to the stuff you sell because repeat buyers is the business plan...yea...I get it the first buy doesn't good well...but if he decides to try to buy again?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Certain 'Territories' of CA require 'taxes be paid' on just about everything. The 'carrier' can be the one asking for it via Customs. 

I sold an item 6-10 years ago going to One of the CA Territories and it was a $59 item; customs form showed what it was and how much it was. Buyer was given a 'post card' to pick it up and pay the 'fees'. Buyer didn't pick it up. Was sent back to me (which I got about 2 months later). No refund was issued because I had no idea what the 'deal' was. Happened again in Norway. This time, 2 months after I got it back, I was 'charged' the $300 for this particular item (as a refund). This is when I stopped selling Internationally (until EIS recently). 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

All items over $40CAD are assessed sales tax when entering Canada (GST + PST or HST). Canada Post charges a small fee to process that, all other courier services charges excessively high brokerage fees for the same service.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@gone.c-33 wrote:

All items over $40CAD are assessed sales tax when entering Canada (GST + PST or HST). Canada Post charges a small fee to process that, all other courier services charges excessively high brokerage fees for the same service.

This ^^^^^

Plus the Canada US Free trade agreement only covers Duty, Taxes (GST or HST) are always payable when it's over the CA$40 free limit (about US$30).

When sent through the postal system customs usually ignores packages over $40 and often up to several hundred dollars. Shipments sent through private carriers like DHL will ALWAYS collect tax if the package is only 1 cent over the limit.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply