cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claiming that I put books in an Ipad Box and I don't know what to do HELP

So I listed a Macbook pro as an auction the past week and someone bid a little higher than market price at the last moment, which I thought was a little suspicious. I sent it yesterday but today I woke up to a return claim where the person said, "This guy sent me an iPAD BOX WITH BOOKS inside of it !! THIS IS NOT THE ITEM I ORDERED, I WANT MY FULL REFUND NOW". 

Ebay said to accept the return for now and file a false buyer claim after. I am scared because everywhere I am reading that seller do not have a good chance of appealing the refund. What should I do from here? How can I prove to Ebay that I sent a Macbook pro? All I have is photos of the sealed laptop. 

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Buyer claiming that I put books in an Ipad Box and I don't know what to do HELP

There are tracking apps available that would allow you to know the GPS/IP location. Don't know if sellers can legally install these to send location information when computer/phone is turned on (once connected to internet)? 

Message 31 of 71
latest reply

Re: Buyer claiming that I put books in an Ipad Box and I don't know what to do HELP

Wait - so you mailed it just yesterday & then woke up this morning to that message?  They received it in less than 24 hours???  I don't buy it.  Check the tracking & if not delivered yet, requests to recall the item.  

Message 32 of 71
latest reply

The USPS is struggling now under a lack of funds.  How much do you figure such a system would cost? 

Message 33 of 71
latest reply

I sent it yesterday but today I woke up to a return claim where the person said, "This guy sent me an iPAD BOX WITH BOOKS inside of it !!

Unless the buyer was next door, that seems awfully quick shipping.

Check the tracking for your item ASAP and see if the item has infact been delivered, if not take screenshots of tracking/buyers claim etc showing the impossibility of claiming an item to be INAD when they do not have it yet.

I would contact eBay on social media to explain the issue because this is a provable case of fraud.

Also report the buyer for misusing the Money Back Guarantee. https://spd.ebay.com/RBASellerHub

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 34 of 71
latest reply

You are a new seller and so attracted the scammers like flies to the proverbial dung heap.  How Ebay allows new sellers to list expensive items that are very high on the scam list is beyond me and as as far as I am concerned it is simply criminal.  I would not be surprised if you also lost that other Macbook you sold.

Agree 100% this has SCAM written all over it. No idea as to where the OP shipped the item, how they shipped it, what the eBay estimated delivery date was or what the tracking shows. All questions people have raised. First mistake OP made was calling eBay support which is useless at the moment. If he followed eBay's advice and accepted the return and has refunded the buyer regardless of whether he gets back the box of books the buyer claims he sent he is pretty much toast. He has lost the item and the money. 

It amazes me that people, especially new sellers, continue to list high target, high value items on eBay. They should be aware of the #1 rule as a seller to never list anything you cannot afford to take the financial loss on. 

Message 35 of 71
latest reply

If you just sent the package yesterday, How did they get it today???? It's not possible unless you sent it Overnight Express.

DO A PACKAGE INTERCEPT AT USPS.COM IMMEDIATELY !!!

Message 36 of 71
latest reply

@gwens*4saleitems* wrote:

If you just sent the package yesterday, How did they get it today???? It's not possible unless you sent it Overnight Express.

DO A PACKAGE INTERCEPT AT USPS.COM IMMEDIATELY !!!

Absolutely the best adivce, sorry I did not include that in my post - I should have

@jaekyle0 

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 37 of 71
latest reply

Right now, follow their advice.  I would also ask them to open an investigation on the buyer.  They will look at more than just your incident to see patterns or if a new account, they will check out a lot more to see what is up with them.

When you get the item back you can open a fradulent buyer claim.

One thing to do for high dollar items is to take pics and video of the item working before shipping, and pics of you packing up the item.  Final pic of the packaged item with label.  Not only for ebay fraud cases but for damage claims as well, as you can show you packed items well and securely and padded in a good undamaged box.  Always take pics.  Take video of expensive items working before shipping.  You can still sell them new open box and explain, opened only to make sure everything was there and item worked.  Used items, always video working.

And always, always fight a fradulent buyer.  Not only for yourself but to save other sellers from them and make ebay a better site for sellers and buyers.  Ebay does not want to keep dealing with the same fraudsters either, at least the people at the level that deals with them, don't.  It tarnishes the site and wastes time and money, so always report them and always fight them.  Make it really tough and they will go other places where its easier to pull their crap.

Message 38 of 71
latest reply

Well often ebay does take into account a sellers long standing record of good transactions.

Generallg speaking people dont spend years developing a good solid seller reputation in order to trash it scamming buyers.

New sellers may not have a long selling reputation but they may have a solid buyer reputation they have built up.  Its still an indicator of a person who has a string of honest transactions under their belt.

Message 39 of 71
latest reply

@jaekyle0 wrote:

So I listed a Macbook pro as an auction the past week and someone bid a little higher than market price at the last moment, which I thought was a little suspicious. I sent it yesterday but today I woke up to a return claim where the person said, "This guy sent me an iPAD BOX WITH BOOKS inside of it !! THIS IS NOT THE ITEM I ORDERED, I WANT MY FULL REFUND NOW". 

Ebay said to accept the return for now and file a false buyer claim after. I am scared because everywhere I am reading that seller do not have a good chance of appealing the refund. What should I do from here? How can I prove to Ebay that I sent a Macbook pro? All I have is photos of the sealed laptop. 

Forget all that and NOW start an intercept to get that thing back.  The scammer jumped the gun on this one - you're lucky, usually they're better than that and wait until it's delivered, then start their spiel.  I agree - he's reading from a script.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 40 of 71
latest reply

The best that you can do is accept the return. If and when the buyer returns something different, take the maximum amount that you can deduct 50%. Report the buyer and move on. Also be aware that electronics is one of the most scammed items on eBay. 

Message 41 of 71
latest reply

No...call the buyers PO and get the package intercepted!

Message 42 of 71
latest reply

The OP has not returned so we don't know what the tracking says, but it was posted that the buyer already opened the package to find nothing but books inside.

Message 43 of 71
latest reply

Struggling with lack of  funds -my eye, not at the cost of shipping they charge. 

Message 44 of 71
latest reply

I wonder where the OP got that brand new Mac in an unopened box.  How does he know there weren't books in the box?

Message 45 of 71
latest reply