cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer changed her address and is now upset

Hi All,

I had a buyer do a BIN for 3 skeins of yarn--total of $7.50.

I like to ship it out early because my postal carrier comes at 8 AM so I didn't see the note buyer attached to payment.  She had changed the shipping address to her mom's house in Oregon because she was in Alaska which I don't ship to so by having the Oregon address, she could do the BIN.  Then, she wanted me to change the address back to her's in Alaska because she thought the postage would cover it.  (It would.)

But, because I didn't notice  her note on my selling page, I sent it to the address she had provided--to Oregon.

Now, she's upset because I didn't see her message and will have to pay extra postage when her mom mails it to her.

Suggestions?  I'm thinking of a partial refund on postage, maybe half, because I should have read the message but in my haste to beat the mailman, I didn't.  Yet, I feel she was trying to change the system to benefit her assuming I would be able and willing  to take the time to send it to an address which I don't sell to.

Should I refund the full amount of shipping?

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Buyer changed her address and is now upset

@thepostingid wrote:

@flp wrote:
PS Alaska has been much warmer lately due to climate change.

Are you sure it isn't that eBay has been warmer due to weather fluctuations?

Most of the global warming predictions have been proven wrong....

I meant Alaska being warmer.....

Message 46 of 48
latest reply

It is on ebay that a buyer can have several addresses.

A buyer must identify the primary shipping address on eBay.

When they pay that address becomes the address on Paypal..

The Paypal address is linked to the primary shipping address on eBay.... and that address cannot be changed on Paypal.

The Paypal address is the ... ship to .... address.

If the buyer has made a mistake with the address and paid.....  the payment can be refunded  and an invoice can be forwarded through Paypal.

This Paypal invoice   and the payment made must contain the ... correct... ship to address.....  and only in this manner can the address be changed on Paypal....

It will all work out with the "correct" mail to address linked to the payment on Paypal.

Message 47 of 48
latest reply

Well, the buyer needs to use the message area, those notes attached to the order are not always easy to see. And asking before paying might help.

I just had a customer send me a note via my eMail address (must have gotten it off PayPal reciept) asking me to hold the item she bought for another  TWO WEEKS! It was already in the mail before I looked at my email, I do not get much. Nothing in the message area, just to my personal email. I thought it was Spam at first. And on top of that I have a ship in 24 hours and get dinged. I could have taken the item off sale until she was ready. Suggested she put her mail on hold. A bit of communication up front would be very helpful. 

In the past I would change an address, but not these days. I want to print out exactly what the customer put in as the address. 

Message 48 of 48
latest reply