cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer bites again. They claim sneakers stolen before they received.

Unfortunately I sold an expensive pair of Gucci sneakers several days ago that were shipped to Sneakercon in Astoria NY. They arrived in the early afternoon of the 6th. Today I receive a message stating that there was a problem and the sneakers were stolen.

The buyer was automatically refunded and I was sent two photos from the authentication personnel which showed the outer box and the inner box opened and the sneakers missing from the actual Gucci box packed inside the cardboard outer box. 

There was no mention or any indication that the post office marked the package as being tampered with. There was no damage to the outside box, it was cut along the tape lines, exposing the Gucci box and that box opened and sneakers pulled out. 

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Buyer bites again. They claim sneakers stolen before they received.

Not completely correct. If Authentication Dept failed in this scenerio they should be taking responsibility for this. Ebay must refund the buyer first, then go on to investigate what happened and then deal with the refund to the seller after that. 

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

I believe you need to wait a bit until they resolve this problem for you. Just stay in contact with them.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Since the authentication Dept told you they received the box tampered with then I suppose you might have a chance at an insurance claim with the postal service. Perhaps they can help you if that’s were the case in filing such claim as they were the recipient of the alleged tampered with package. If they were on the receiving end of this then I believe they need to work on that.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I would expect nothing less out of eBay once they have issued the refund they pretty much wash their hands of everything. They have their fees and their seller support is abysmal. You are not the first poster to have issues with the authentication center and like the post office I suspect the theft took place at the authentication center.

Another recent thread from last year (here) describes a pair of Jordans that mysteriously disappeared after delivery to the authenticators, only to pop up that very same day for sale by another seller. @dolcetreasures : Reading all the way to the end of that thread is recommended, and includes some contact info that may be helpful.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

They had the box for 2.5 days before they sent me an email stating that there was a problem. 
They used the word “tampered” yet provided no proof other than by their own discretion.

Tampered is the term the post office uses when a package gets opened along the way. When they are aware they will mark the package as “tampered”, usually accompanied by a red sticker and they make note of the tracking number. Yet, as far as I know, none of these things happened. 

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

Sneakers are a high scam item-- believe it or not even cheap sneakers! A while ago I sold a pair of plain $80 sneakers. The same day the buyer got it, they filed a "transaction not authorized" claim. Dumb for them, lucky for me. My tracking number was enough to win that case for me.

I would assume though, if the sneakers went to the authenticator first, and the authenticator shipped it to the buyer, then wouldn't the authenticator be liable to solve the issue if the sneakers get stolen before delivery? After all, you're not the one who directly shipped it to the buyer.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

you have tracking showing the item delivered. the item was received. they opened the wrong case they should have opened item not as described according to the ebay rules I play by you win.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Apparently all the authentication service has to do is say the contents are missing. I’m certain they have a protocol they follow from when the boxes are picked up at the post office and where and how they travel through their facility.

There are cases where sneakercon simply states the items were lost in their hands and they certainly do make everyone whole. In my case they are suggesting the thievery occurred prior to them receiving the package. 

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Yea but in the same vain they can just follow up with another case for NAD. I’m really more curious as to what happened with the package rather than I am in receiving any sort of recuperation for its losses. 

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

If anyone is curious what the results were, I’m leaving the info here for posterity. eBay and I agreed to do a 50/50 split. They will refund half the amount the buyer initially paid.

The fact remains that the postal inspector suggests there’s little to no chance this occurred during the short period the post office had the package, and she’s never seen a case that is similar and she believes the theft occurred after the authenticators picked up the package. 

I hope eBay will use this case as a moment to reflect on their security measures to prevent the possibility of this occurring in the future. Every employee in that facility should be on notice and all lapses in security should be addressed. All packages that may have been tampered with by the parameters of the USPS should be separated from the rest and inspected first and foremost under surveillance. Any questionable packages that have not been deemed as “tampered” by the USPS but appear out if the ordinary should be weighed and inspected as well. 

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@dolcetreasures 

I'm so sorry this happened to you and I would have opposed the settlement/compromise that ebay offered, especially now that there's a clear pattern! (Of course, hindsight being 20-20, I have an advantage that you didn't have 2 months ago.)

I think ebay needs to vet their subcontractors more carefully or the subcontractors need to vet their employees! 

I don't know the tag for the ebay employees are who run the sneaker authentication program but they really need to follow these threads.

@dolcetreasures Don't know whether you're still following, but here's a very similar  (if not identical) thread indicating that the thieving activity continues. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Authenticator-says-sneakers-were-stolen-what-do-you-think/m-p/...

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

My shoes went to the NY authenticator hub. They said "shoes was not as described" no pictures no nothing to prove claims. My  shoes was new as a new born baby.  I think these authenticators are taken sellers expensive shoes giving buyers a refund & reselling or keeping shoes. I'm **bleep**. I never should've listed my shoes on this site before reading these bad reviews on these authenticator scammers. 

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

They didn't have my shoes 10min before issuing a ((not as described)) lie of a description.  I try to look up tracking info?? none. Authenticator are still in possession of those shoes & skate boarding behind the authenticator hub smoking newports in the shoes that should've been sent to buyer or back to me by now. This Authenticator program is a pirate scheme. 

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Ebay has made sure you can't send buyers photo proof of tracking receipts or detailed shoe Q.C. pics via app messages now, "how convenient" Now that authenticators are making shoes disappear. 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Ebay has made sure you can't send buyers photo proof of tracking receipts or detailed shoe Q.C. pics via app messages now, "how convenient" Now that authenticators are making shoes disappear. 

It is always best to start a new post. The issues you are describing are different and unique from the OP's issue which has probably been resolved by now. You are not the first and will probably not be the last to report problems with the authentication process. The sneaker program in particular seems to be a HUGE problem area with regards to theft and the reputation of the program. 

You can file a FBI cyber crime report and a report with the carrier, if it was USPS they have been known to investigate theft and fraud if they notice a pattern in the reports.  On their own it may do little good but if the problem is reported enough the FBI and/or the USPS there may be an investigation. EBay is probably not going to do anything given this problem has been ongoing and reported for quite some time. 

Message 30 of 31
latest reply