cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer bid up to reserve price and now wants to cancel...

...because (according to an email just received today), the buyer claims:

"please cancel my BID ....my son used my ebay account and BID on your item without my permission...sorry for the inconvenience...thx"

I only have one active listing so you know what it is - there were two other bidders (neither of whom bid up to reserve), and the auction is still live.

I haven't sold on Ebay for awhile - but to be honest,  even when I had a store, I never ran across this situation.

Any advice on what my options are?

Thanks in advnace ~ KD

KD - Remember, STORE searches = hidden treasure!
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Buyer bid up to reserve price and now wants to cancel...

Really, you can mitigate damages and cancel or be a "right fighter" and try to force a buyer to retract. Good luck with that. Sellers need to stop making battles where there are none and move on with their life.

This is not kindergarten. Sellers should not be here to teach life lessons to strangers. It's a control issue. The sooner people truly grok that they can only control themselves, the better we shall all be.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Thanks to all who offered help - yesterday I cancelled the bid;  put the seller on my blocked list and sent them a message confirming their bid was cancelled and they've been blocked.

Learned a very disappointing lesson but have been "updated" on how to sell here if I choose to do so again in the future.  This had never happened to me before.

I mainly sell on Etsy and have been out of the Ebay loop for a long time. 

In this case I don't have alot of professional knowledge about my item and hoped an auction format would be the way to go.  I was contacted by a seller from Egypt early on offering "his services and assistance" (am sure for a fee since nothing is free) - so is this some sort of new Ebay scam as well?

Nice to still find expert help & insight on these boards.

~KD

KD - Remember, STORE searches = hidden treasure!
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

smart sellers do not use a reserve 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

That's the truth. 

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@dbmm-media

Smart sellers who know what they want to get don't use auctions at all.

Fixed Price* runs for 30 days at the same cost as a seven or ten day Auction.

Fixed Price transactions rarely have requests for cancelltions, particularly if the seller opted for Immediate Payment Required.

contacted by a seller from Egypt early on offering "his services

Never heard of that before.

Unless you were also in Egypt, it seems pointless.

EBay did have Trading Assistant program at one point but the fees were too high for consignors and not high enough for the Assistants.

*Which is effectively what etsy and AZ offer buyers. No waiting around to find out you lost anyway.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@6658927 wrote:

In this case I don't have alot of professional knowledge about my item and hoped an auction format would be the way to go.  I was contacted by a seller from Egypt early on offering "his services and assistance" (am sure for a fee since nothing is free) - so is this some sort of new Ebay scam as well?

I don't quite see the "scam" here... you say in your listing that you basically don't know much about it, and now you've heard from someone who apparently does. If he hasn't asked you for money, there's no apparent scam that I can see. (Even if he did ask for money, that wouldn't constitute a scam if you paid for his expertise and he delivered on it.)

Message 21 of 21
latest reply