cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer asks if he purchased the item…

Hello,

I have a weird case: I am selling a laptop and a potential buyer sends me an offer. I then send him a counter offer. The buyer accepts the offer. The next day they send me a message asking if someone else bought the item, or if ebay is waiting for a payment on their behalf. Is this the lead in to some sort of known scam? I was already a bit apprehensive because the buyer has a 2 year old account with 0 activity. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Could be he doesn't understand how ebay works.........I'd explain he should have an invoice from ebay that has to be paid.......and see what happens........  If it's a scam, he may ask for a bill thru Paypal or your paypal address, etc........

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Here in USA Ebay has changed "offer system" (if customer makes offer and you accept...customer will be immediately charged for that item).    You can check if payment has been received by checking your pending orders "awaiting shipment".

I should mention that there are many scammers on EBAY who target new sellers or anyone selling "high value items" (especially electronics that can be easily resold).  EBAY will NOT protect you if you get scammed. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Buyers have four days (96 hours) to pay for a purchase.

EBay has invoiced him.

If you invoice them the clock resets and they have another 96 hours to pay.

If you are comfortable that they are just confused, re-invoice them accepting the possibility of another delay in payment.

If you are not paid by that deadline, eBay will automatically cancel the transaction, give them a Strike, and you will be able to relist.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I cannot imagine a scenario where simply telling a buyer whether his item is ready to ship or not would expose you to any risk.

I get messages from sellers all the time informing me when my item will be shipped.

I cannot comment further since you have not told us whether it is paid or not.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

eBay will "automatically cancel the transaction"?

Is this new? 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply