cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer abuse of eBay return policy (with Proof)

cybergoodscentral
Adventurer

I've suspected this happening before but could not proove it, and while eBay says they protect sellers as well as buyers, they did nothing to assist me last time this happened. This time I can proove the buyer is dishonest and abusing the system. What can I expect from eBay when I call them tomorrow? Has anyone else experienced this?

Story is as follows:

-Buyer purchases item from me. I print a shipping label through the eBay system 1 hour later, USPS Priority 2 day. Scheduled pickup for the next day.

-Buyer leaves positive feedback the following day, with a message saying that I did not include a tracking number. This is false, I printed the shipping label 1 hour after the buyer made the purchase and scheduled to have it picked up the following day. This tracking number would have updated in the buyers My eBay, as it had mine. Red flag number 1.

-I then check the buyers feedback left for other sellers. They are full of notes from other sellers questioning the feedback left. Example, one negative fedback rating, but the message says the the seller is highly recommended, with a followup message from the seller asking why the feedback is negative if he is highly recommended... red flag number 2.

-Exactly 9 calendar days later, buy opens an "Item not as described case". I honor my return policies, which was a 14 day policy. But first checked the tracking information to see when my item was delivered. According to USPS the item was NOT delivered, indicating a problem with delivery, lost package, etc. The tracking info showed the Priority 2-Day package sat ay my local USPS hub for 6 days, then arrived in the sellers city 4 days later, and then The message was "Delivery status not updated". I leave a note in the return details asking if the buyer ment to open an item not received case instead of not as described. Buyer answers by demanding me to send a return label to send the faulty item back. We all know how reliable to USPS "delivery confirmation" system is, so I figured the mail piece was not scanned when delivered or something, and approved the return.

-To be on the safe side, and because I suspected foul play based on all the above, I paid USPS to intercept my original package that I sent, just in case.

-3 days later, I now have two packages, the original package that I sent to the buyer, and the fradulent package that the buyer sent to me with an identical item inside of it with the label that I paid to have him send it to me through the NAD case that he opened. I have proof of the intercept, and the original tracking number still says "Delivery status not updated".

-My original package has a damaged label, the delivery address was ripped off. The return address area, and barcode portion were all gone. The USPS lady explained that is why the package couldn't be delivered, which of course makes sense. Luckily the portion of the label with the return address was still stuck there, so they were able to bring my package back.

I understand that since the buyer did not receive the item, he is due a refund. But this is abuse of an item not as described case, since the buyer never received the item. I test everything before I sell it, so I knew it was a working item. NAD effects my seller rating differently, than a problem due to USPS ripping my label off. It makes it seem that I am selling shady items if I get hit with enough of these. I use a Zebra labeler  with good sticky labels, like Amazon packages come with, so I don't understand how the label was partially ripped off, but at this point this doesn't matter.

What, if anything, does eBay do to the buyers like this that are the scum of the eBay community? I have buyer requirements setup for all my items to avoid buyers like this, but he was still able to make a puchase from me:

• Don't have a PayPal account
  • Have received 2 unpaid item strike(s) within 12 month(s)
  • Have 4 policy violation report(s) within 6 month(s)
  • Have a feedback score equal to or lower than -1
  • Have bid on or bought my items in the last 10 days and have met my limit of 1 and who have a feedback score of 0 or lower

Are there any other ways that I can protect myself in the future since eBay isn't going to do it for me, or give me the tools to properly do it myself? I am thinking of getting some "warranty void if removed" stickers that are serialized and tamper evident, taking a picture of it in the listings, and only accepting the return if it's stil in tact once received like the major manufacturers do. If anything, maybe it will divert these type of buyers from my listings, which are mostly categorized as computer electronics, and parts for home and business equipment.

Thanks for your time

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer abuse of eBay return policy (with Proof)

Just incase anyone was wondering what happened with this, eBay basically said not to worry about it, and this matter is not counting against my account as a defect on my part. However, the buyer is free to make other mistakes like this to other sellers. Seriously reading the feedback that he has left for other sellers and their responses, and after emailing him back and forth, this guy must have some sort of mental illness. At times it felt like I was talking to an 11 year old kid on their parents account. Ball was dropped multiple times for this to happen, so I initially thought this was foul play on purpose. In the end, the buyer made a mistake and refused to own up to it because of the whole "buyer always right" mentality.

Hope you all have an excellent weekend 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

Message 37 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

So here we have a buyer who never even received his item, opens a SNAD case and "returns" something else to the seller.

I'll never understand the workings of the minds of some people.

Message 2 of 56
latest reply

Good for you for outfoxxing a bad guy so that he didn't get a refund AND the original goods. 

What to do now?  I'd call eBay and provide them proof of this and perhaps they'll NARU his account, especially if they have record of other shenanigans. 

Message 3 of 56
latest reply

@thevintagesilvershop wrote:

Good for you for outfoxxing a bad guy so that he didn't get a refund AND the original goods.

I don't think the OP outfoxed anyone.  In fact, he wasted money on that intercept.  The package was already on its way back to him by that point since it was undeliverable.

In the case of a "Delivery Status Not Updated" I would not have paid to intercept.  Because the only 3 possibilities are (1) the buyer had the item or (2) the item was misdelivered or (3) the item was undeliverable for some reason.  In any of those cases, an intercept is not going to do any good.

Message 4 of 56
latest reply

I read all of that but I'm stuck on the part where the buyer sent you back an identical item to the one you sold them.

Since they didn't get yours, could they have possibly purchased the same item from two sellers and got confused when they filed the return case?  A scam generally has an obvious winner or gain (so to speak) but I don't see any win or gain here for the buyer or did I miss something? 

Message 5 of 56
latest reply

@smick55 wrote:

I read all of that but I'm stuck on the part where the buyer sent you back an identical item to the one you sold them.

Since they didn't get yours, could they have possibly purchased the same item from two sellers and got confused when they filed the return case?  A scam generally has an obvious winner or gain (so to speak) but I don't see any win or gain here for the buyer or did I miss something? 

But even if that were the case, if the buyer returned a perfect working item (as seems to be the case), what has he gained from the "scam"?

I'm actually more inclined to wonder if the OP might be confused.  Maybe the return he got WAS from this buyer, and the other returned package (along with its snafu'd tracking) was from another transaction.  Frankly at this point it's the only explanation that makes any sense.

Message 6 of 56
latest reply

sounds like they were trying to keep the item an get paid too ,homey don't play that ,good for you ,there out there I amk getting in the habbit of checking peoples feedback ahead of time with the thing I read hear ,I get some first time buyers ,but no problem there ,I had issues with some international sales ,an fakes ,it was like $500.00 worth offakes from the same seller ,but then the neg feedback one after the other came in ,an I won my appeal there account was closed not long after ,it dropped to like 93 ,they should not have let go that far ,but it does not matter if some one with 10,000 sales has 200 negs
Message 7 of 56
latest reply

Sounds to me like the buyer was trying a switch a roo, but jumped the gun.

Message 8 of 56
latest reply

I paid the $12 because USPS says they wouldn't actually charge me unless they were able to retrieve the item. I didn't expect them to be able to. In hindsight, you are right but I couldn't have known the issue was the label before getting the package back.
Message 9 of 56
latest reply

I have since stopped communicating with him, but I did suggest that this is what could have happened, he claims that he bought a new part from someone else. I suspect he thought a NAD case is the only way to get his money back without having to pay for a return label... the whole thought process of this buyer does not make sense.
Message 10 of 56
latest reply

Sorry, it was a lot to type in my OP, lol. I should have said, the item was identical in appearance, but faulty that was sent back to me. But you are right, he has nothing to gain here. I just have my seller ratings, and the cost to have him send junk back to me to loose.
Message 11 of 56
latest reply

I'm actually glad they didn't get the item I sent, otherwise, I'd have no way to prove this guy wrong. And that sucks... I'd hope eBay would move more swiftly than that...as they do it for the buyers that abuse the system
Message 12 of 56
latest reply

I think you are right, that would be the only gain for the buyer, if he'd gotten my working item and sent back a faulty one. But he jumped the gun.
Message 13 of 56
latest reply

@cybergoodscentral wrote:
Sorry, it was a lot to type in my OP, lol. I should have said, the item was identical in appearance, but faulty that was sent back to me. But you are right, he has nothing to gain here. I just have my seller ratings, and the cost to have him send junk back to me to loose.

yep, he returned his junk, when he saw yours was in the mail, lucky that label got messed up, or he would have your unit, and his money back.

Message 14 of 56
latest reply

@cybergoodscentral wrote:
I'm actually glad they didn't get the item I sent, otherwise, I'd have no way to prove this guy wrong. And that sucks... I'd hope eBay would move more swiftly than that...as they do it for the buyers that abuse the system

The part that really stinks is that you will never get a customer service rep who speaks English as a first language, which will make your case even harder for them to understand.  It was confusing enough for the rest of us....add in someone sitting in a cubicle reading off cue cards, and they will not know what you are talking about.

Message 15 of 56
latest reply