cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Won't Return Item

A buyer bought an item (bicycle, a $650 sale) from me, then proceeded in a litany of complaints about the item. Though I don't offer returns, I do pay shipping, and offered this buyer a series of compromises. However, he changed the subject with every response to an unrelated reason for wanting a return each time. Sensing that this is a scammer, I opened a case with ebay to get ahead of this. Needless to say, they awarded the buyer his full amount of purchase back. 

In short, the buyer didn't respond with the necessary info and I didn't get the shipping label to him (first time doing a return shipping label) within 5 days. A few days after I sent the shipping label to him, and he says he doesn't have a printer. What do I do? Clearly this is a scammer, and though I've kept a constant correspondence with ebay regarding this issue, they've essentially said they're not going to do anything.

However, I can't accept that there's a 5 day policy to 'arrange the return' given that there are variables outside of my control. Someone please help. At this point there's a reward in it for anyone whose help leads to me not getting scammed:(

Jonathan

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Buyer Won't Return Item

I would like to add that ebay stated they made no attempt to verify that any of the complaints were true, only that they had to side with a buyer who is dissatisfied with an item despite any seller's listing that 'all sales are final'.  ugh

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

$50 for info that leads to the return of my item. Seriously. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

When a buyer files a SNAD they do NOT have to prove anything..NOTHING to the seller or Ebay..

You waited till the case timed out and Ebay closed it..

You should have just sent the label or arranged the pick up...not require buyer to send some kind of proof...

Nothing you can do...only hope you have a buyer with a conscience and returns your item...

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

Did you fight the return or just allow the buyer to return it before ebay stepped in to help the buyer. In most cases if you refuse to allow the return and the buyer persists in wanting to return they can give the buyer back the money. That would be crucial to know. You should never fight a return on here for whatever reasons the buyer gives. It just won’t turn out well. I am hoping for you that’s the buyer does ship the item back. But being a large item like a bike and that for whatever reason they cannot get your label. You could sent them money for the shipping via PP. But, I understand at this point you feel you are dealing with a scam. Could be or maybe not at all. Wish there was more to help you.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

What sort of case did you open?

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

I'm so sorry this happened to you. You don't seem like a new seller on here so I'm a bit surprised by your no returns. As long as you sell using this platform you are bound by the rules from eBay. They offer a MBG to every buyer so having your own individual clauses do not matter. The buyer will always win every case, that's why they offer the MBG. 

I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice either because you simply cannot force a buyer to return an item to you once they've been reimbursed. There's nothing to be done at this point. A bicycle is a large item to ship; the buyer may not have a printer, you don't need to print out anything in order to purchase on here.  

Again I'm sorry and wish you all the best....

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

My policy is simply; return for a full refund. Let eBay send him a shipping label. I don't argue with the buyer. You will be amazed how many times they will not return the item and eBay closes the case in your favor. In this case, the buyer clearly did not want to return the bike. You should have accepted the return. I hate to tell you this, but the money, she is gone. The bicycle, she is gone. With the exception of extraordinary circumstances, simply accept the return. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

You are in IL.  I don't know where the buyer is, but I would be tempted to take a little vacation to their hometown (with cash) to retrieve my bike!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

Since you couldn't offer advice, was your post a summary of what was already said, rubbing it in, or that you are a newbie showing off your knowledge of eBay rules?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

Call PayPal. It is illegal for the buyer to have your item and the money. They should be able to assist you to some capacity

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

I didn't get the shipping label to him (first time doing a return shipping label) within 5 days.
__

Unfortunately, the timelines are set in.stone unless you call eBay and get an extension.

Once eBay is asked by either party to step in, 99.999% they side with the buyer, most of the time refunding without return.

PayPal won't help you, you could pursue the issue and small claims court, however you would have to go to the buyer's jurisdiction to file. Filing fees and time off work, travel expenses ECT would probably be more than you'd get out of it. Then there is the issue of actually collecting on any monies recovered.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is try to reason with your buyer and offer to mail them a lable.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

@umie11752 wrote:

Call PayPal. It is illegal for the buyer to have your item and the money. They should be able to assist you to some capacity

Not true. Everyone agrees to the TOS of both eBay and PayPal when they sign up, and part of that is that refunds can be made without return if sellers don't follow the MBG timelines. PayPal won't go against eBay.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

Hi Jonathon....sorry for your pain.  In retrospect, you should never have opened a case, as it sounds like your buyer had not asked Ebay for a return but was emailing you for solutions instead, correct?  Always let the buyer open a return, because sometimes they won't and will just let the issue die...it sounded like he was wanting a partial refund perhaps instead, but once you opened the case...well, you see how it ended up.  Someone else advised you could send the buyer a shipping label, and this might work, along with a VERY polite request to have the bicycle returned.  Best of luck to you!

-Dippitydoo

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Buyer Won't Return Item

you should never have opened a case

a seller can NEVER open a case.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply