cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Wins a $5.00 Auction But Can Not Pay ???

Here is the email I just got while you guys were on my other post.  Well too bad I can not list the ID of the buyer. And the drama continues on Ebay !... What should I do now >>>??? Oh yes $5 plus shipping. Great to see Americans so broke . GRRRR>

I will pay for my winning bid on Saturday when I get paid. Thank you!
Message 1 of 47
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@countwilley wrote:

Here is the email I just got while you guys were on my other post.  Well too bad I can not list the ID of the buyer. And the drama continues on Ebay !... What should I do now >>>??? Oh yes $5 plus shipping. Great to see Americans so broke . GRRRR>

I did not read your other post. From reading this one, this is the main reason why I stopped doing auctions many years ago. Buyers love to bid with no money available. It ties up your items for many days when they default. There is no reason why a person on eBay and PayPal should not be able to pay $5 item plus shipping, if the shipping cost is appropiate. The average cost of internet in the US is $45 a month. Not counting the cost of a computer or laptop and electric bills. Many people here want to make excuses such as "living paycheck to paycheck", "Groceries, rent and utilities always come first!", "Social Security checks" , "What's the big deal over a couple of days". WHY IN THE WORLD WILL ANYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN BID ON A FIVE DOLLAR ITEM WHILE KNOWING THEY DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO FOR IT???? But they can pay there $45 internet bill, computer, cost of electricity to power computer, rent, taxes, pet food, etc... This is one of the many reasons why eBay has been going down hill for a long time, because of the nonsense sellers are forced to deal with. If I was running eBay, the money the buyer is attemping to bid with would have to be available, or the buyer would not be allowed to bid. Liken to a cash auction. countwilley don't listen to these eBay chearleaders. They are being compensated to promote this failing company. You will notice the same names over and over in other posts sticking up for eBay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 32 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Probably does not keep funds in his PayPal account.  And yes, there are plenty of people still living paycheck to paycheck, and can only afford to set aside a tiny portion of what they have for needed frivolities.  Even the poorest of the poor need their little indulgences occasionally.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 2 of 47
latest reply

countwilley wrote:

I'd respond with a short message, thanking the buyer for their purchase and telling them that in the meantime I'll be packaging their purchase and it will be all ready to go when they make their payment on Saturday.  And then, after they paid, I'd mail the package.

And if they didn't pay over the weekend, I'd open an Unpaid Item case Monday morning, which would either jog their payment or get my selling fees refunded and free up my item to list again.

Easy Peasy to my way of thinking.  (And I don't do many auctions because there are far more buyers who don't pay on those when compared to about 100% who pay immediately on my fixed price listings.  Which I don't even use IPR on...)

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

HMMM... anyone heard of a CREDIT CARD ?... why bid and tie up my item for days and maybe not even pay. Can some one address this issue that works at Ebay. I do not get this on AMAZON. Again HMMMM.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

Today is Thursday, and almost over.  I would wait until Saturday morning.  Yes, some people really do rely on one paycheck at a time!  Groceries, rent and utilities always come first!

Personally, I rely on a Social Security check that arrives about mid month -- sometimes it's a full 5 weeks between checks, which means I may be down to my last $5.  Of course, I try not to buy anything on eBay around rent time unless my credit card has some room on it.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 5 of 47
latest reply

"anyone heard of a CREDIT CARD ?"

A rather large number of people can not qualify for a CC. Another large number choose not to use them.

What's the big deal over a couple of days?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 47
latest reply

Why bother to list cheap items with auction format? 

BIN with IPR & problem solved. 

Many people do not have a credit card. 

Why would you want to shame the buyer on here over something so trivial? 

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

You just seem to be looking for things to be upset about.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

I don't see a problem - they emailed you a date when you will get paid - they didn't have to do that. As a long time seller - you should remember the days that we waited a week or more for payment. I never sent anyone a reminder note until after 7 days of nonpayment and would routinely get a note back that they got paid on Friday. I'd wait and true to their word - I'd receive their payment the next week.

There are too many here that expect immediate payment  on auctions. Unfortunately - people are not sitting on their computers like the old days waiting to see if they are the high bidder and paying immediately - like the item's going to go anywhere if they don't. People have lives, jobs ect.. immediate payment is not required on auctions. Am I sick of non paying bidders - yes - but ( knock on wood ) they are far and few between. Sellers need to chill if they use auctions or don't have BINS set to immediate payment.

I'm on a roll tonite with vents - throw some more at me!

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

Why the drama?  For someone with your income, I can't even imagine bothering with a $5.00 sale to begin with, and even worse, worrying about waiting two days to receive the money.

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

It seems that " THE TRUTH " upsets Ebay and Ebayer.  Amazon and JEFF BEZOS love the truth and they embrace it. I never get upset at Amazon do I ???

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Since we don't know your acct name or whether you even have an acct on Amazon - we can't check their boards to see your vents.

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

Well some one last month told me that not making $5 and $10 sales was crazy and that would up to thousand of dollars  at the end of the month . CONTRACTION NOW ???

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

If you list the item as fixed price and require immediate payment, your item will remain available until payment is received.....no more problem

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

I'm starting to think you actually manage a hotel in the UK located not a million miles from Torquay.

Message 15 of 47
latest reply