cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer SCAM, expensive item, buyer claims he received totally different item. What to do?

I sold a used electronics item with a value of $900. The item was insured and shipped via USPS with signature required. I am not a business, I am an individual who does occasional sales of personal items. The package was delivered and now the buyer claimed he received a totally different item which is worth only a couple of bucks. He sent a picture of this mystery new item and the actual box I sent my item in. He is asking for a return via INAD. He is suggesting someone swapped the item before he got it, which I find utterly fantastical, i.e. he is obviously a scammer. I don't know how to handle this. Ebay CS is telling me to accept the return, but I don't know what I should do. It would be one thing if he is trying to return my item, but this is totally different. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Buyer SCAM, expensive item, buyer claims he received totally different item. What to do?

We can't paint you a pretty picture, I'm afraid. If your buyer is claiming INAD, you need to approve the return and wait until the buyer sends you back what he/she received (even knowing it might not be your item) before you issue a full refund .

Your Seller Metrics are all that's left to save.

If you don't approve such a Return, eBay will probably refund the seller with your money, anyway. The return label's delivered tracking status will make this happen... no matter what you're sent.

Now, if the buyer never uses the label, the case will eventually be found in your favor... but chances are slim that your buyer won't return whatever they claim to have received.

I'm sure sorry this is happening to you. It stings like a hive of hornets. Good luck.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Re: Buyer SCAM, expensive item, buyer claims he received totally different item. What to do?

Thank you very much for your reply. So Paypal, USPS insurance, and all of the apparatus out there have no way to offer any form of protection to me? I have only sold a few items so frankly I don't care about my seller reputation when compared with the loss of 900 bucks. Please tell me this is not the case, that someone can basically completely lie and steal my goods from under my nose? Is there nothing I can do?

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

I'm afraid you wont like the answer, but no, PayPal does not really offer a seller protection, USPS insurance will be mostly on damaged or lost item. If lost, that's easy due to the lack of delivery proof. If damaged, you will need to show pictures of box/packing, and might need to rely on buyer to go to its local postal office to show the box. Proving that item was broken into while in transit might be difficult to prove, but could be your only resort, perhaps buyer should file a police report, or you can use his eBay claim against you for proof. Not sure how far that will go, as know you have to depend on buyer. 

It has been mentioned several times never sell anything if you can not afford to loose. Getting sellers protection on a "small scale business" has its limitations, and its costly. I've resorted to local sales on other platforms for high value items.    

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Inform the buyer that you are very concerned about the item being swapped, and that you will be filing complaints with your police dept., their police dept., and Postal Inspectors so the theft can be investigated, while you look into making an insurance claim so they can be refunded in full. Also inform the buyer that they should keep the item and all packaging so it can be examined by the Postal Inspectors, to check for tampering and to compare the weight of the package as mailed vs. the weight when delivered.

And then file those reports. Then see if the story changes.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Hello Kraken (like the name), thank you very much for the reply. I was just reading similar advice from the reddit seller group FAQ. I am still in the initial response window, he just claimed INAD yesterday. Should I accept the return and get him the shipping label, but stipulate I expect to receive my item back? Or should I not accept and wait for eBay to intervene after my response deadline has passed?

IF the buyer still sends back the scam item, I then do actually proceed with the steps you outlined. This is  a clear case of fraud.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

@wonderpond2008 wrote:

Hello Kraken (like the name), thank you very much for the reply. I was just reading similar advice from the reddit seller group FAQ. I am still in the initial response window, he just claimed INAD yesterday. Should I accept the return and get him the shipping label, but stipulate I expect to receive my item back? Or should I not accept and wait for eBay to intervene after my response deadline has passed?

IF the buyer still sends back the scam item, I then do actually proceed with the steps you outlined. This is  a clear case of fraud.

When is your deadline for accepting the return? If it's a couple days away, I'd send the message and then wait at least a day. The tone of the message is intended to give the buyer the impression that you're on their side, and that you want a full investigation to find out how their item disappeared. Demanding your original item back, when they claim they didn't receive it, would not be the way to go. If you get to the point where you actually have to accept the return, I'd file those reports at the same time.

Not accepting, and letting eBay step in, will result in eBay forcing you to refund without a return.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

I wrote the message below, and within 30 seconds he replied with "ok awesome thank you"...not sure where that leaves us now though...any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your guidance.

Hello xxx, I am very concerned about the item being swapped anywhere in the process. I am not an eBay store, I am a private seller who took great care in making sure this transaction is completed properly. If you recall, I ran to USPS immediately upon receiving your order. I was tracking its shipping progress multiple times each day and sent you updates for ETA, when the item went out for delivery, and signatures required. After all this effort, it is very unfortunate for both of us to be in this situation. I want a full investigation to find out how this item disappeared. To this end I will be filing complaints with my police department, your police department, and Postal inspectors so the theft can be investigated. I will also look into making an insurance claim so you can be refunded by them in full. Please keep the item and all packaging so it can be properly examined by the Postal Inspectors, to check for tampering and to compare the weight of the package as mailed vs. the weight when delivered.
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

I'd file the reports, starting with the Postal Inspectors.

There is a remote possibility that the item was swapped.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

So, I have submitted my USPS claim and awaiting their response. I couldn't see a separate investigation protocol and the USPS branch said the only thing I can do is submit a claim basically against the insurance I bought. The branch didn't accept the claim, they instructed me to do it online.

Should I now "accept the return" as per the eBay system request? But doing so would impede the USPS investigation as it requires the buyer to send back the item which was supposedly swapped. The USPS claim specifically stated for claims where there is missing contents the following:

"Proof of Damage or Missing Contents:

Until the claim is resolved, retain the mailing container including any damaged items, the wrappings, packaging, and any contents that were received. Do not return or reship the item. The Postal Service may request more information or documentation to process your claim. Upon written request from the Postal Service, you must present the mailed article and all wrappings, labels, and available contents for inspection at a Post Office. Failure to do so will result in denial of the claim."

I am at the deadline for responding (25th). I have replied with messages to him, but I have not yet indicated my response action to the buyers return request (refund or return item).

Thanks again in advance for your guidance!

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

I honestly hate to be the barer of bad news...but none of this is going to help your situation or most importantly get your money or item back. It has been stated on these boards MANY times..."don't sell anything on ebay you can't afford to lose". I know it's not what you want to hear, but once that buyer files an INAD case you as the seller are pretty much scr%$ed if it's a scam. No insurance is going to give you your money back. As stated above, if you dont accept the return eBay will just refund the buyer with your funds and the buyer will have to do nothing. If you accept the return and whatever is sent back your USPS claim is out the window as well. I hate to say it but IMHO you are banging your head against the wall. Not saying I dont blame you for trying everything you can. Trust me, anyone who has sold a while on eBay has been in your shoes...probably more than once. Unfortunately in your situation yours is a higher priced item....which makes the sting even worse. One thing is for certain...You HAVE TO accept the eBay return...otherwise they will automatically refund the buyer with your funds and that's the end of it. Wish there was some better news...Sorry you had to experience this the hard way with such an expensive item. Bad enough when it's not. 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

If that's truly the case, that a buyer just needs to claim INAD and the seller is scr78ed? What a joke. I will never use eBay again to sell anything over a few bucks. Sorry, but that is utterly disgusting. I am tempted to pay this buyer a visit, in person, to settle this. Even tempted to hire a PI to prove he has the card in his possession....all of this just on principle. This guy is scamming multiple people I am sure, and using multiple accounts to do so. This idiot deserves to pay.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@wonderpond2008 wrote:

Or should I not accept and wait for eBay to intervene after my response deadline has passed?

No, you don't want to let Ebay decide.

They could refund the buyer from your account and let them keep the item.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@wonderpond2008 wrote:

If that's truly the case, that a buyer just needs to claim INAD and the seller is scr78ed?

Yes, that's how Ebay works.

Not much you can do right now but accept the return and pay return shipping.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Sorry ,i submit to you by mistake .

Message 15 of 30
latest reply